crash ride cymbal

GIBson

i'm looking for a really awsome cymbal to ride on and crash on. i dont really have much of a budget cause i want it to be great. i was looking at a 18 inch Z custom, what do you guys think about that. suggestions and guidance needed thank you

anavrinIV

crap.

aaxplosion if youre wanting a long decay and explosive sound. or saluda, talk to jamie. if i didnt say it someone would.

GIBson

its such a hard decision!!! everyone raves about whatever they ahve and when i try them out for myself they all sound good. lol fuck the xplosions do sound good.

screamkevin

I use, endorse, and recommend Saluda. You'll get a quality cymbal, just as good as Zildjian, Meinl, Paiste, or Sabian, and you won't break the bank. Look towards the Saluda Mist-X or Diamond lines for what you're seeking, and tell Jamie Lambert that I sent you. :wink:

SGarrett

anavrinIV":a6en8xqp said:
crap.

aaxplosion if youre wanting a long decay and explosive sound. or saluda, talk to jamie. if i didnt say it someone would.
I use a 19" AAX-Plosion for exactly that purpose. It has a beautiful white noise sound when ridden on.

phil-drummer

anavrinIV":24j6lu5t said:
crap.

its an awesome cymbal , i wouldnt called it crap

anavrinIV

phil-drummer":17d3bvi2 said:
anavrinIV":17d3bvi2 said:
crap.

i guess thats the difference between me and you....you like them, i dont. i think aaxplosions are just as loud, have a much better tone, long decay, explosive as anything, and, above all, theyre dynamic. z customs have only 1 volume, aaxplosions are engineered to have a consistent sound at any volume.

i use my 18" aaxplosion for riding if i feel the need to do so and its never let me down. z custom crashes have never once appealed to any of my better senses.

phil-drummer

anavrinIV":1z3zqwc4 said:
phil-drummer":1z3zqwc4 said:
anavrinIV":1z3zqwc4 said:
crap.

i guess thats the difference between me and you....you like them, i dont. i think aaxplosions are just as loud, have a much better tone, long decay, explosive as anything, and, above all, theyre dynamic. z customs have only 1 volume, aaxplosions are engineered to have a consistent sound at any volume.

i use my 18" aaxplosion for riding if i feel the need to do so and its never let me down. z custom crashes have never once appealed to any of my better senses.
if you know any thing about dynamics and accents you'd know that u cud easily pull a samba or jazz rhythm out of a z Custom set up, there very musical cymbals

SGarrett

phil-drummer":32l5l88z said:
anavrinIV":32l5l88z said:
phil-drummer":32l5l88z said:
anavrinIV":32l5l88z said:
crap.

if you know any thing about dynamics and accents you'd know that u cud easily pull a samba or jazz rhythm out of a z Custom set up, there very musical cymbals
A lot of it has to do with the amount of force it takes to get a cymbal to speak. AAX-Plosions speak with just your fingers. Play a Z Custom quietly and it sounds clangy because of how thick it is. It's the same with my AAX Metal Crash. I wouldn't call Z Customs crap though, I played them for many years before switching to Sabian. But, AAX-Plosions speak like thin cymbals, cut like thick cymbals, and are more durable than thick cymbals. You can literally bend the edges together like a taco and the cymbal won't break. I watched the West Coast Sabian rep do it. He was up in the drum shop showing off the HHX-Plosions before they were released and he was like, "dude, check this out...how's that for durability?". Needless to say, I was more than slightly impressed. :D

I've used my AAX-Plosions in many low volume situations that the Z Customs I've owned wouldn't have worked in.

pow3rtr1p

One to try out would be Zildjia's Thrash Ride. 19" cymbal that shoots for your exact needs. I think it's part of the Z Custom line, but just search thrash ride on whatever online store you use, and it should be the only one.

mrgreenjeans2234

welll...
me.
i have some options to throw out
the 21" zildjian sweet ride is amazing. its like the perfect cymbal imo its very crashable, and very pingy for a ride too.
but if you really are digging the 18" and 19" sizes would be a heavy crash like the z customs. (sorry im a zildjian guy so i dont really know much about sabian lines)
and last but not least, the one thats starting to grow on me is my 20in a custom medium ride.
its pretty much to me like a crash, it doenst have a big ride sound like a ride would normaly have but it does have a nice ping to it.

dannydrumperc

Forget about brands, models, etc... go for the specs.

You need something between 18" and 20" in size, medium or medium-thin in weight, nice bell and fast taper change. Most "crashride" labeled cymbals offer these characteristics. You may also try some medium crashes and light rides. All mayor brands offer these cymbals within most of their pro lines. Experimentation and comparison with what you already have is the only answer to your question.

Personally, I have an 18" K crashride that is the main crash on my set. It can handle light riding without washing too much. Good as "left side ride". Had a 20" that didn't worked as I expected. Once tried a 20" A Custom Projection Crash that worked excellently.