cracking knuckles

evolusean13

Does cracking your knuckles lessen the grip of your hand on the stick? I feel like it is for me. I find myself at the butt of the stick sometimes because of the little grip. Any suggestions?

Well, I crack my knuckles too, and I've never really noticed that, but I grip the stick very loose. How tight do you hang onto the stick? That might have something to do with it.

zildjian_zbt

I don't really know the science of what cracking your knuckles do to your fingers in regards to your grip, but as long as it still gives you control in your hand i'd probably look more at your technique then the whole knuckle cracking thing.

I do crack my knuckles but i'm more worried of the long term effect then the short term effect. But nah man from what i've heard i'd probably look at your technique and focus on you grip.

But if your techniques OK then maybe look into a bit more..

devilspain

from what i heard cracking your knuckles means bollocks all!! you could crack you knuckles all day and it shouldnt affect you. dont worry about it. just grip a bit more tightly and opposite if your too tight. good luck.

Drummerjew

The only thing I know is that cracking ur knuckles will give u arthritus. but who gives a shit. I think u should just keep playing the way u do then if it keeps doing the same thing then stop cracking them b4 u play.

granny p

your knuckles and knees, elbows etc cracking (a lot of the time) is just air which is trapped in the synovial fluid in your joints, meaning that it shouldnt do anything long term to your technique.... if your deliberatly inducing it though then it can cause arthritus (arthritis?)

WhiteOleander

Drummerjew":21lry6au said:
The only thing I know is that cracking ur knuckles will give u arthritus. but who gives a shit. I think u should just keep playing the way u do then if it keeps doing the same thing then stop cracking them b4 u play.
actually its there's no real evidende that cracking knuckles even lead to arthritus.. by cracking knuckles you only force the joint fluid, gas or cavities to rapidy to pass from one side of the joint to another.. ofcourse its not all that healthy to crack your knucles as it can eventually lead to joint damage due to the stress on the joint, but its never been proven that it causes arthritus, thats just a myth.. however it is said to cause hand swelling and lower grip strength, so it's very possible that this is the reason for your loose grip. hope this helps =)

Jaki

i love craking my knuckles...it feels soo nice ... almsot sexual infact... HAHAHAHA i havnt noticed anythign to do with gripping sticks tho

thursday_1134

Cracking your knuckles can cause pain in the hand when playing. I don't know if this has anything to do with arthritus, but ive only started cracking my knuckles in the last couple years, and it has had an effect on my playing. i used to play my drums for hours and hours without feeling a thing, but now after cracking my knuckles for years, after an hour of playing my hands just cant take anymore. As for the grip though, it shouldnt make a difference.

GeorgeDemise

Reading this has just made me want to crack everything. I've been cracking my knuckles for years and I haven't noticed any loss of grip from it.

evolusean13

WhiteOleander.. yea ive read that stuff too. its such a horrible habbit that i cannot stop. i rly do think its the knuckle thing and not my technique. or it can be. when im playing on my pad. i have pretty good grip. loosened a bit but not all the way at the butt as i am on the kit. im sure its both.. any suggestions on how to stop the bad habbit? lol

WhiteOleander

haha the fact that the habit is influencing your playing should be motivation enough to stop as it is =p iv never been able to crack a knucle in my life so luckily I don't have that problem =p I have no other suggestions than just pulling, bending and stretching your fingers instead of cracking them.. its shitty advice but I really can't do better ;)