Cracked cymbals

Shalaq

This is an all cracked cymbals thread ;)
Post about your experiences with cracking cymbals- how many and how to avoid it.

loop

In my 'career' I broke one cymbal. Unfortunately it was Ufip crash. It was the beginning of my drumming adventure and I was surely a heavy hitter :oops:

tim_otnematset

1 time my 3 day old 18 inch z custom medium crash got smashed by a guitar cab, imagine how happy i got............................. :evil:

Carter

tim_otnematset":2sq10o27 said:
1 time my 3 day old 18 inch z custom medium crash got smashed by a guitar cab, imagine how happy i got............................. :evil:
shit, unfortunately, happens :(

Timekeep69

I cracked a few Sabians in my time before I endorsed Saluda. I sold them on ebay. It suprisedme that someone would actually knowingly buy a cracked cymbal, but they did. I think I sold them for like $30-40 each.

Shalaq

How do you feel when you notice a crack in the cymbal? Do you think "Is there something wrong with my technique" or rather "well, cymbals are used so I've just used all their lifespan".
Personally, cracking a cymbal really gets me down about my cymbal playing :(

loop

I don't think you're right, Shalaq. Cymbal cracking is not always caused by your technique. The cymbal can also be faulty, used or kept in bad conditions

PureForm

I've probably cracked 10 cymbals since I started playing ... recently, Paiste has been replacing them for me though :D

AMTJake

I cracked a 12" Wuhan China, so I went to guitar center and bought a new one for 12 bucks. My 12" HHX Evolution splash cracked on me which cracked badly and got me pretty down, it was a really thin cymbal and lasted me a good long time. Recently my 16" AA Crash got cracked when it was in the van on the way to a show, and that pissed me off a bit.

prog_drummer_77

When i first started, i bought the Zildjian ZXTs (a joke of a cymbal haha) and i didn't know that you had to turn the china upside down for a longer lasting cymbal and this is what happened....it is a cracked mess and now hanging on my wall! :D

TDRUMP

I DON'T TRY TO NOT CRACK CYMBALS, IT JUST HAPPENS. I HIT MY CYMBALS HARD, SO I BUY HEAVIER CYMBALS. IF I USED PAPER THINS, I WOULD PROBABLY CRACK EM IN A WEEK, BUT I USE MOSTLY MEDIUM CRASHES, AND I DON'T USE A WINGNUT TO TIGHTEN MY CYMBAL SO IT CAN ACTUALLY MOVE WHEN I HIT IT. I CAN GET 4-5 YEARS OUT OF MY CRASHES. CHINAS ON THE OTHER HAND ARE A DIFFERENT STORY. I USE WUHAN CHINAS (THEY'RE CHEAP, BUT I LOVE THE SOUND OF THEM.) SO I CRACK THEM ALOT FASTER. I DON'T REALLY BREAK CYMBALS PERSAY, I CRACK THEM.

You can donate your cracked cymbals to SMD Drums. They are always in need of cymbal alloy. They melt unusable cymbals down to make a certain type of cast alloy shell snare drum. They donate a lot of the proceeds from the sale of this drum to charitable causes and they even give away a lot of stuff to schools and sponsor community outreach activities like children's music and mentoring programs.

Ship to

SMD Drums
5566 Lenox
Detroit, MI

RSmith

I haven't cracked any of my cymbals while playing but I am a hard hitter to the point that they get a little bend and dented. I did have a K cymbal that rubbed alongside another cymbal and it got chipped that way :-(

But for the most part, I tend to avoid the thin cymbals in favor of a more heavier cymbal (mostly Rock Crashes and the new K 19 inch hybrid crash which sounds like a 16 inch thin crash-go figure)

Shalaq

I just cracked my china 14" Thomas Lang signature. Unfortunately, it was a replacement for the one I broke earler :(
I must say the sound from this china is cool but the quality of the cymbal is just awful. But I won't complain, as I got this china free with a set of Langs cymbals :)

JozakTalbot

Timekeep69":2hquz84c said:
I cracked a few Sabians in my time before I endorsed Saluda. I sold them on ebay. It suprisedme that someone would actually knowingly buy a cracked cymbal, but they did. I think I sold them for like $30-40 each.
they probably sent them right back to Sabian and got new ones!

pphunk

I used to crack cymbals all the time. Then i started buying thicker cymbals and paying more attention to how i hit them/set them up. It also helps if you take good care of them while transporting them.

I've had two cymbals crack on me so far this year, one was a ride i dropped about a month before (drunk after a show, not good) and it eventually started to crack along the dent. And then a crash that was cracked by another drummer who plays with the butt end of the stick and smashed the shit out of my cymbals. Both were early 70's Zildjian A's. I died a little inside.

stump

Cracking cymbals can be for alot of reasons. Most are going to be the quality of cymbals that you are playing. If you play low quality cymbals then you can expect that they will probably crack. The truth though is that if you are a hard hitter...you are going to crack cymbals no matter what the quality. I have cracked a few in my many years of drumming. I will say though that as I have gotten older and started playing high quality cymbals.. I have not cracked as many. Also look into using a spring mount, positioning your cymbals correctly, use sleeves and do not over tightening your cymbal nuts. Hint...plastic gives before metal...and it's cheaper to replace.

Animal

I have certainly cracked a lot of cymbals, during more than thirty years of drumming. I didn't count but I would guess for something like 25-30 cracked cymbals all together.

It's not like I'm trying to break them, it just happens.

I play very loud, and my crashes and splashes are not angled at all.
That may have some effect, I don't know.

Like everything that is hit hard many times, also a cymbal give in at one time or another, I guess.

I have never cracked a ride, or a hi-hat.
My 22" China boy is still alive and kickin' too, despite some years, standing "a hell of a beating", allthough I hav cracked a few chinas. Especially the 16"s.