cover tunes?

brian

hey guys my band might be getting a gig with a really long set at our school, what are some good cover tunes that we should do, just for time fillers! we are a hard rock and metal band.

LebBoomer

Lamb of God - Hourglass or Laid to Rest, Avenged Sevenfold - Unholy Confessions, All That Remains - The Darkened Heart, Let 'em Burn - Shadows :D

johnmc2k

well if your in school....not sure of your ability, sooooooo

Ace of Spades - Motorhead
Alive - Pearl Jam
Parinoid - Black Sabath
Enter Sandman - Metallica
Whiskey in the Jar - metallica

Do the classics, pretty easy songs, alot of people SHOULD know them

drummert2k

drummernick":14a7xthy said:
play awake by godsmack its crazy easy i swear
gadsmack is super easy to cover. lots of bands do it and lots of people like it for some reason. it seems like the songs that go over the best are the ones that you absolutely hate to play.

FelterSkelter

drummert2k":1fqzr48m said:
drummernick":1fqzr48m said:
play awake by godsmack its crazy easy i swear
gadsmack is super easy to cover. lots of bands do it and lots of people like it for some reason. it seems like the songs that go over the best are the ones that you absolutely hate to play.
I love doing covers, but I swear I will NEVER be in a cover band. Not knocking anyone that's paying the bills this way, I just have a severe hatred for "Mustang Sally".

play covers by bands you like.

best rule of thumb ever.

i will NEVER be in a band playing covers i CAN NOT STAND to make a dime.

never.

take pride in what you do. if you feel stupid playing it, or hate the song you're playing... then you probably shouldn't be playing it.

never do something because it's a crowd favorite or because the masses dig it.

drummer912

rob zombie stuff like american witch, the scorpion sleeps, dragula, and scum of the earth are all pretty easy and fun and sound good.

drummert2k

sarcasmsetyourhouseonfire":1rlu80kh said:

best rule of thumb ever.

never.

take pride in what you do. if you feel stupid playing it, or hate the song you're playing... then you probably shouldn't be playing it.

i have nothing totally against cover bands. i perfer to play original material. but the unfortunate fact is, in my area, if you dont present yourself as basically a human jukebox, you dont get any work.

so i might have the same mentality as you if me and my girlfriends place to live and ability to eat and pay the bills wasnt dependent on the money i bring home from gigging, sessions and lessons each week.

drummert2k":1fbstexo said:
sarcasmsetyourhouseonfire":1fbstexo said:

best rule of thumb ever.

never.

i have nothing totally against cover bands. i perfer to play original material. but the unfortunate fact is, in my area, if you dont present yourself as basically a human jukebox, you dont get any work.

so i might have the same mentality as you if me and my girlfriends place to live and ability to eat and pay the bills wasnt dependent on the money i bring home from gigging, sessions and lessons each week.
i have nothing against cover bands either. do i think it's creative? no. is it something i have an interest in doing? no... but i can respect the musical ability involved in doing it.

i prefer to be creative and play the music i want to play, and i do it with the knowledge that it's probably not going to be very lucrative.

i have a career outside of music for bringing home the bacon.

if you're a "working" drummer, or a "hired gun" it's your job to play anything and everything. i'm cool with guys that do that too. guys like josh freese come to mind. during the day, he's a session drummer. he's hired to play drums regardless of his personal opinions of the music. at night, he plays in the vandals, a band he considers his true passion. in that band, he plays what HE wants regardless of the masses opinions of it.

i occasionally fill in with my dad's variety cover band. they play country. oldies. 60s-modern. 99.9% of it's shit i'd never listen to in a million years, but i'm there as a hired gun. i'm there to make money. my opinion doesn't matter.

with that being said (op), if this is the group you'd consider "your" band, and you're just doing this as a hobby, don't worry about catering to the masses.

drummert2k

sarcasmsetyourhouseonfire":1wuz21td said:
drummert2k":1wuz21td said:
sarcasmsetyourhouseonfire":1wuz21td said:

best rule of thumb ever.

never.

i have nothing against cover bands either. do i think it's creative? no. is it something i have an interest in doing? no... but i can respect the musical ability involved in doing it.

i prefer to be creative and play the music i want to play, and i do it with the knowledge that it's probably not going to be very lucrative.

i have a career outside of music for bringing home the bacon.

if you're a "working" drummer, or a "hired gun" it's your job to play anything and everything. i'm cool with guys that do that too. guys like josh freese come to mind. during the day, he's a session drummer. he's hired to play drums regardless of his personal opinions of the music. at night, he plays in the vandals, a band he considers his true passion. in that band, he plays what HE wants regardless of the masses opinions of it.

i occasionally fill in with my dad's variety cover band. they play country. oldies. 60s-modern. 99.9% of it's shit i'd never listen to in a million years, but i'm there as a hired gun. i'm there to make money. my opinion doesn't matter.

with that being said (op), if this is the group you'd consider "your" band, and you're just doing this as a hobby, don't worry about catering to the masses.
i would like to clear up that i by no means love playing covers all night. my main band i play in does play about 3 hours of covers at your shows but try to mix in about an hour of original tunes just to try to get them out there. i would love to play in a 100% original band just for the total creativity factor. but unfortunetaly thats not my postition right now. so when show time rolls around i have to put on my game face and get into the cover tunes. people pay to see the band and have a good time so i gotta give 100% whether i enjoy it or not.

stump

I personally don't like covers but if your gonna do them to kill time just listen to your local rock station and go from there. They play what people are listening to at the time. Good luck.