correct way to play brushes

disrupt13

Any help?

i bought some vater wire tap brushes, and im seeing it as a mistake until i can figure out how to use them.

screamkevin

Having brushes is never a waste, my young friend. I mean, you can't learn to play them unless you have them, right? :wink:

Try this on for size.

http://www.hudsonmusic.com/products/brushes.html

Great place to learn. 2 DVDs with over seven hours of footage and lessons from cats like Adam Nussbaum, Steve Smith, Billy Hart and more.

Good luck, and let us know how it's coming along!!

BillRayDrums

Playing brushes is becoming somewhat of a lost art. I was always told that you should imagine the brushes playing themselves, just kinda floating there.

For starters, playing brushes without traditional grip seems very awkward to me. There's guys who can play brushes in a matched grip but for the left hand swishes and patterns that have been passed down through the ages just don't fly as well that way.

Get into CLayton Cameron's work. He did a video about 20 years ago called "the living art of brushes" and I remember it being a great asset.

I play brushes whenever I get the chance and love it.

Atmerrill

Ed Thigpen is a master on brushes - believe there's still a video too which is really good - it just takes practice and a lot of time. But, once you learn to swing with a pair of brushes (if you're playing jazz) it becomes a great joy. Whatever you can play with the sticks you ought to be able to play with brushes. Have fun! 8)

FiestyRedDrummEr

Brushes are amazing if you can play properly, I'm still trying to perfect my technique. I have been spending hours on end at my set with a pair of brushes just getting used to what they do. You can't just smack them around and expect them to sound wonderful. Keep it up bro. I checked out that site that screamkevin suggessted. great site. check it out.
Billy Hart is AMAZING

BillRayDrums

FiestyRedDrummEr":1ubzrt8v said:
Brushes are amazing if you can play properly, I'm still trying to perfect my technique. I have been spending hours on end at my set with a pair of brushes just getting used to what they do. You can't just smack them around and expect them to sound wonderful. Keep it up bro. I checked out that site that screamkevin suggessted. great site. check it out.
Billy Hart is AMAZING
If you really want a challenge I suggest a cardboard box and a pair of brushes. Make that sound good and you are on to something.

SGarrett

BillRayDrums":1umc92um said:
FiestyRedDrummEr":1umc92um said:
Billy Hart is AMAZING
If you really want a challenge I suggest a cardboard box and a pair of brushes. Make that sound good and you are on to something.
I've always wanted to learn how to play both traditional grip and brushes, but I broke my left forearm pretty badly playing football in high school...and then again playing basketball a few weeks after getting the cast off. My left wrist just doesn't rotate like the right. Any ideas, other than learning left hand lead?

Rob Crisp

I love brushes, just wish I culd play them well. Just starting to learn how to use them. I've seen that Clayton Cameron vid Billy. He's a master but also wore some really bad clothes :p

He used to have a load of brush rudiments on his website... just checked it and it's changed now, not sure if they're still there.

www.claytoncameron.com if you wanna take a peek.

disrupt13

i agree with you, traditional is easier then matched, and i can play trad. for shit.

i just dont understand them, and i would like to be a more well rounded, so i figured id ask.

disrupt13

i just watched a video too, i need a new snare cause that power center isnt gonna make this easier.

now do brushes work on only coated heads?

screamkevin

disrupt13":mblhjt5p said:
i just watched a video too, i need a new snare cause that power center isnt gonna make this easier.

now do brushes work on only coated heads?
Brushes will work on any head, however a coated head is TONS better. The surface of the coated head provides a rougher surface for the brush to "swish" on, making it a lot easier for you to get the desired sound. Any brush player out there is using some sort of coated head.

FiestyRedDrummEr

BillRayDrums":3aunc2bk said:
FiestyRedDrummEr":3aunc2bk said:
Billy Hart is AMAZING
Alright I'm going to try it today. I'll let you know how it goes.

FiestyRedDrummEr

SGarrett":2l4gyfgk said:
BillRayDrums":2l4gyfgk said:
FiestyRedDrummEr":2l4gyfgk said:
Billy Hart is AMAZING
I've always wanted to learn how to play both traditional grip and brushes, but I broke my left forearm pretty badly playing football in high school...and then again playing basketball a few weeks after getting the cast off. My left wrist just doesn't rotate like the right. Any ideas, other than learning left hand lead?
Matched grip is just harder for me. I'm still trying to perfect my traditional. Try matched. I mean I really don't know of any other really good grips you can use. Just watch out for right hand dom.

SGarrett

FiestyRedDrummEr":3kalm71y said:
SGarrett":3kalm71y said:
BillRayDrums":3kalm71y said:
FiestyRedDrummEr":3kalm71y said:
Billy Hart is AMAZING
Matched grip is just harder for me. I'm still trying to perfect my traditional. Try matched. I mean I really don't know of any other really good grips you can use. Just watch out for right hand dom.
Like Bill said, the matched grip just doesn't sound right.

And right hand dom sucks. After I got out of school I got lazy and started using my left hand to just club my snare like a baby seal. Then I learned about this really cool thing called "ghost notes". Kinda scary with the "boOOoOOOo" thing and all. :p

"Ya see, ghost notes is notes that ain't there...but I put 'em there...cause that's the way I feel the funk should be."
Clyde Stubblefield, Soul of the Funky Drummers.

That quote and video changed my outlook on drumming.

FiestyRedDrummEr

SGarrett":1gdqtfrv said:
FiestyRedDrummEr":1gdqtfrv said:
SGarrett":1gdqtfrv said:
BillRayDrums":1gdqtfrv said:
FiestyRedDrummEr":1gdqtfrv said:
Billy Hart is AMAZING

And right hand dom sucks. After I got out of school I got lazy and started using my left hand to just club my snare like a baby seal. Then I learned about this really cool thing called "ghost notes". Kinda scary with the "boOOoOOOo" thing and all. :p

"Ya see, ghost notes is notes that ain't there...but I put 'em there...cause that's the way I feel the funk should be."

....He can't use traditional grip. So the next grip to use is matched.

SGarrett

FiestyRedDrummEr":1sg5qw6a said:
SGarrett":1sg5qw6a said:
SGarrett":1sg5qw6a said:
BillRayDrums":1sg5qw6a said:
Billy Hart is AMAZING

He, is me. :p

FiestyRedDrummEr

SGarrett":wzzgpxfu said:
FiestyRedDrummEr":wzzgpxfu said:
BillRayDrums":wzzgpxfu said:
Billy Hart is AMAZING

He, is me. :p

....I knew that