Converting a marching bass drum

jbreshears

I want to convert a marching bass drum(28in.-Maybe a 36 or 38in) Bass drum to an extra kick drum for my kit. Does anyone know how i would go about doing that? I know that i need to add spurs and stuff but i can't find a kit that does that, or even how i would do that. I need some help. :cry:

anavrinIV

you can order spurs from drummaker.com or amdrumparts.com, they are two of the most recognized sites. you wont find any kit but the spurs will be there. where are you going to find heads for a 38" drum?

jbreshears

anavrinIV":3gsrnyz4 said:
you can order spurs from drummaker.com or amdrumparts.com, they are two of the most recognized sites. you wont find any kit but the spurs will be there. where are you going to find heads for a 38" drum?
I think the guy has a 40 not a 38. I'm gonna have to check.

Remo makes them in 40in.

drummert2k

remember- the bigger the drum, the less articulate when playing fast doubles or rolls and it takes more energy to create the power to play bigger drums. also, take into consideration your bass drum beater and if the shaft will be long anought to place the beater in the center of the head.

Rockula!

You don't even need spurs unless you are mounting toms on the bass drum
A drum that big is going to be quite heavy and will stay put
If you need a little more "stay put" you can put velcro strips on the bottom of your pedal (if it doesn't aleready have them)

Alan_

I did this with my 24" ludwig bass drum. It started life as a 70's ludwig marching drum. I just feel lucky it's in white marine pearl like the rest of my set, even if it is a slightly different version of it than the rest of my kit, which is from the early 60's.

Basically, go to a drum shop, buy spurs...you are gonna have to drill and possibly route out the shell for the spurs. If you're not experienced with woodworking, do not do this, as it will require some measurement to put the spurs in the appropriate place on the side of the drum, and you absolutely do not want to mess this up. Also, the drilling and routing must be done with precision, to ensure no cracks later down the road.

as for not putting spurs on it, I would worry that the thing would roll around a bit if you're getting aggressive on the bass drum...

tapeworm97

hmm thats a great question. i bet someguy is going to come up with a marching bass drum on a kit, and able to play double pedals hitting on each side, just like in band being hit with mallets.