constant double bass

Daley

i can't keep heel-up double bass perfectly constant
but i can keep heel-toe perfectly even
can someone help me

SGarrett

[edit] Why'd you change your question? You're not going to be able to play faster double kick if you can't play comfortably. [/edit]

Take everything away and start with just your throne and kick pedals. Get your throne adjusted so your thighs are above parallel to the ground and put your feet on the floor in a 100% comfortable and relaxed position. Don't think about drumming at all, just be relaxed. Your feet should be about shoulder width or just a tad wider. That's where you want to put your kick pedals, do so now. Next we need to get that snare taken care of. You want it right around waist high, with the part of the rim closest to you, with a slight tilt towards you. You want it to be at the right level that rimshots literally fall into place. Next, you want to position the stand so you're hitting dead center with your arm in a fully relaxed position, elbow hanging loosely by your side with an approximate 90* bend. This way you can just drop the stick right down for a dead center rimshot. Go ahead and put your kicks on the pedals now. Notice I didn't put put the pedals on the kicks. Slide the hoops into the jaws of the pedals so you don't move them.

Now it's time to position the toms. You want them to be positioned where you would naturally hit them, angled slightly towards you and a few inches higher than your snare. Your floor tom(s) should be the same height as your snare and with the same tilt towards you so you can transition between them easier.

Cymbals. Get that hi-hat pedal as close to your left kick pedal as possible, with the hats in a comfortable location. You shouldn't be reaching way over to hit them like people did in the '80s, you get either a two-leg stand or an attachment that goes to the kick hoop to hold the stand with the legs folded up. You said comfort, so I'd keep it right around the same height as your toms. Now do the same thing with your crash cymbals that you did with the toms. I skipped the ride cymbals because it really depends on how you have your toms setup and how many you have.

Daley

thanks man, i'll try that tomorrow
but i fixed my kit to be really comfortable right after i posted this, so i changed it to my other question about double bass

but its not speed i need
i can keep it even fast either heel-up or heel toe, but its the slow things, for like heavy grooves i can't get
it really pisses me off cause i could do it like 2 months ago, and out of nowhere i couldn't anymore

drumur

can someone help me
I can only tell you what I do and it works great for me.
I think it's usually the other way around...most people who can play heel-up double bass perfectly constant have a hard time incorporating heel-toe. I'm surprised.

If I'm doing 1/16s or a shuffle, I start with my left foot...That's because for years before I began playing double pedal, I always kept time with my left foot. I've heard others say the same thing. As a result, double bass patterns came naturally for me. I was wailing live on gigs the 1st year I bought it.
I teach my students the same way...begin playing 1/8 notes with your left foot 1&2&3&4&
at the same time play the same 1/8 note pattern on your ride or Hi-Hat. Then fill in the E and ah with the right foot(which would be all the 1/16 that your Left isn't playing). Next, you can add
2 & 4 on the snare.
You might want to adjust your pedal so that it's easy to play. Your springs might be too tight to play a variety of tempos. I keep mine fairly loose. A'lot of speed metal players keep them tight.

Ride 1.&.2.&.3.&.4.&
snare.....2..........4..
LeftF.1.&.2.&.3.&.4.&
RightF.e.a.e.a.e.a.e.a

This is how I do it...others may not agree.
Good Luck...I hope I helped.

Daley

okay, well looser springs help alot with my double pedal on my practice kit
tomorrow i'll check it with my kit
haha
i think i sacrificed some speed for it though
but screw it, i like to go slow and more power... no other drummer does that in my town its become my signature round these parts

okjohne

Daley":31v2n5n4 said:
can someone help me
Do what they say but don't give up on the heal up technique. It shoud not be a rigid heal up toe pointed drive. Rather your heal just a little off the pedal about level with your toe. You can get power and/or speed on comand from this position once mastered. It takes time but if you stay the course a few months down the road you will freak out at what you have accomplished.