computer and drums

seandude

is there a program where i can ut it a cd and ge the drum notes to come back (like i want this blink 182 song) cause i cnt trust tabs that much AND THERE ARE NO MORE!!!!! =(

ayway is there???

drummert2k

find a guitar ta site that has songs in Tab Pro. download the program and then download the tab. i know its guitar tabs, but in guitar pro they usually have everything written out. guitars, bass, vocals, ect. but they have drums as well. they're not always right but usually pretty close.

what blink song are you looking for. for some reason like half the students i teach always want to learn a blink song at one time or another. i might already have it written out and i could scan it and send it to ya. no promises though. lol

loop

In my opinion you should use tabs and your ears at the same time. This method is reliable.

Gaddabout

In my opinion you should learn notation and write the part out yourself. ;)

That's what being a young drummer is all about!

Johnny Cat

PatternsInTheIvy":mx0s0k2q said:
In my opinion you shouldn't be learning a blink song. ;)
Why not? Shouldn't we be encouraging young drummers? Not discouraging them?

There are many different levels and styles of drumming we can learn from, and there's nothing like the thrill of learning something new, and finally nailing that favorite song we've always wanted to play, no matter what it is.

wak

i dont trust tabs of any variety, including tab books

i used to try tabs about 7 or so years ago, but i had bought metallica - black album tab book
and bloody sad but true had mistakes in it, and its not that hard

so i went back to learning things by ear

now as for writing songs, i play drums in a death metal band, so we find it easier to write using guitar pro, as its a lot easier than trying to work out what the guitarist is playing @ practice volume, in the small booming room that we have

the best thing for learning songs would have to be video, obviously not a music video, unless its live, and unedited
and again, not a metallica song, as lars never plays the same thing twice

when i wanna learn songs...i listened to the song 10909083908 times...yea..listen to it over and over and over and over again...every time u listen to the song...u'll notice something u havent b4...this way...you'll know everything..and u'll b able to play it rite... :wink:

drummert2k

PatternsInTheIvy":1zsubi5d said:
even if you dont like something, as a drummer in a drum community like this, why would you ever discourage another drummer from wanting to learn something. if you dont like blink than you dont learn the songs. its your loss. anything you learn can help you in sme other way.

Gaddabout

Travis Barker, Chad Sexton ... drummers of their ilk. I think they're misunderstood a little. While I don't think they deserve undying adulation and devotion, neither do they deserve abject criticism just because they play an obnoxious brand of music. They've definitely had some training and there's some applied skill in what they do.

There's a popular educator in Texas named Tex Lawless. He's one of those uber percussionist and drum corps guys. Great teacher. He had Chad Sexton on one of his drum lines with the River City Railmen and considered him one of his best students. I have respect for anyone who's studied with Tex.

I definitely wouldn't berate a kid who looked up to these guys. They're better than a lot of drummers I thought were cool when I first took up the drums -- and the music is far more progressive than some of the crappy New Wave stuff that was on the radio when I was growing up.

Right,

It doesn't matter what kind of music the drummer plays, as long as they enjoy learning. There are MANY things to learn as a new drummer and nobody knows everything.

If someone is looking up to another drummer's capabilities, then that shows that someone respects that drummer (Barker).

Don't knock 'til you try it, or in this case; can equal their skills... :wink:

mortem

drummert2k":3vgzy8ul said:
PatternsInTheIvy":3vgzy8ul said:
even if you dont like something, as a drummer in a drum community like this, why would you ever discourage another drummer from wanting to learn something. if you dont like blink than you dont learn the songs. its your loss. anything you learn can help you in sme other way.
JESUS *** CHRIST, I'm sick and tired of all this being a good fellow drummer and never-disrespect-other-drummers ***... I'm sure PatternsInTheIvy meant only that as a joke... you people take all this *** way too seriously. relaaaaaaxxxxxxxxx!!

I really don't mean to offend anyone, but I just had to say this..

edited by loop - no cursing here