collage music/drumming

seandude

whats like a collage for drumming as a major or in music cause i wannabe a drumer for the rest of my life and idk what i should major in.....im sooon to be a seinyor so i need to pick

im a very good drummer not to brag(my etacher says im really good) but how hard is it?

drummert2k

a lot of it depends on what school you end up going to. but make sure you're doing as much as possible while still in high school so you can have good references and try to get into a good school for music. if your planning on going to school for music you obviously should be taking classes like concert band, marching band, choir, basically any mucis class your school has to offer. but you should also look into any extra curricular music things your school offers. things like Jazz band and stuff like that. colleges dont seem to care if you play drumset in a rock band and your band plays 10 shows a month. they want to know you've had proper training so they can expand on what you already know. and having music teachers in highschool that will give you good recommendation will help greatly. but there are tons of schools out there that you can major in music in (although about 98% of them involve learning to play piano, brass instruments, woodwinds, ect.) you might wanna focus on finding a school where you can actually major in only percussion unless you'd be into learning how to play tons of instruments and have to be able to fluently read sheet music for all those instruments.

But whether you're a good drummer or not aside, you need to make sure you've done enough in the line of music classes in highschool so a music school will actually even consider your application.

Gaddabout

It sounds to me like you want to be a drum set major, and that's very different from being a percussion major. There are only a few schools I know of that actually offer a drum set major, and they're extremely hard to get into:

- University of North Texas (probably the flagship of this major)

- University of Miami (legendary jazz program)

- University of Indiana (probably the most famous, with a long line of pro drummers)

There are more universities that simply have a jazz program that allows you to emphasize drum set, but it's not a drum set major explicitly. Doesn't, however, preclude a good education at, say, Arizona State or Ohio State or Southwest Texas State or wherever. There a lot of fine jazz programs at public universities around the U.S.

Keep in mind every single one of these schools offers a concert percussion performance major, so you have to make sure you've spoken to the percussion head and make sure you're auditioning for the right part.

Getting into these programs can be a bigger challenge than actually completing them. Most times, the good programs accept perhaps 2 to 4 new recruits per year. It is VERY RARE that you can switch into these programs once your on campus majoring something else, because the curricula is explicitly for four school years.

I have to say, the fact you're a senior in your last semester of high school really puts you behind the eight ball. Most people have already auditioned, applied to the school, and are hearing back from the schools if 1) they were admitted and 2) if they were accepted into the music program.

If you're serious about this, you should call, say, Ed Soph at North Texas and talk to him as much as possible about what you'd need to get into their prestigious program. My guess he'll say you probably should sit out for a year, perhaps take some core courses (non musical) at a juco, and audition to transfer in as a freshman for the 2008-09 school year.

Gaddabout

Now that I've covered the two kinds of performance percussion majors, I can discuss a little what it's like.

Mostly, it's challenging.

If you're a drum set major at NTU or Miami, the first thing you're going to notice is it's not like high school, and it's much hard to be top dog. The seniors are going to play at a supremely advanced level. And there will probably be one freshman that's set apart from the others and eveyone kind of 'oohs' and 'aahs' wherever they walk.

Besides your core classes (math, science, English, social sciences, language), you're going to be stretched musically, too. You will be asked to learn many, many styles. Sometimes with jazz combos. Sometimes with percussion combos. Sometimes as a duet or solo. You will be taught things like Afro-Cuban music in the strictest sense -- no American bastardizing here. Chances are your instructor will have visited Cuba, Brazil, and other countries and learned the native way of playing. At Arizona State, the percussion instructor is Dom Moio, and he seems to have an endless knowledge of world styles. It's kind of scary. Just when you think you've mastered all of his knowledge, he says, "Great, but what about ..." And your heart sinks because you realize you'll never get to the bottom of it all.

College in general is both challenging and fun. It's challenging in a variety of ways:

- School is hard and the professors won't coddle you. You have to study daily, and they're not going to tell you when or how much. You just have to have your ducks in a row in terms of study habits, and absorb as much as possible.

- By your junior year, you will be feeling the heat of studying percussion. There's so much, and unlike high school where you may have a handful of concerts and lots of time to master the music, colleges may have monthly performances with music that is a great deal more challenging. You learn to learn quickly. Reading skills are essential.

- Like core classes, where there are constant tests, you will have this in music, too. You will be expected to provide at least quarterly performances for your instructor, either as a prepared solo or reading test. You will be graded accordingly.

- After cramming a lot of stuff into your brain, there will be chasms of free time and you won't know how to fill it. Some kids go on bingers to relieve stress. If you know what's best for you, you will head to the practice room and shed for many hours a day. It's the only way to really advance your playing and get ahead of the learning curve.

Sounds like hard work, right? That's why college programs are designed for the uniquely motivated. If you want to be prepared for the music business -- the real world -- this is the place for you. You will come out being able to read well, work with others, play at a high level, and be able to adapt to the quickly changing music business.

On top of that, you will more than likely meet other great musicians you will work with the rest of your life. They'll get good gigs and call you, and you'll get good gigs and call them.

Gaddabout

seandude":3efnvinn said:
no im in jr..... soooon!!! t o be senior.... and why is it so hard? what can i do to get in
Oh, I misunderstood. Right now is when you should be contacting schools if they haven't contacted you already. You need to be making phone calls, sending letters, acquiring everything you need to know about the admission process as well as the audition process. Remember, you can get into your school of choice and still not pass the audition. Or, you can pass the audition, but not get admitted. You have two hurdles to clear here.

It's hard because there are so few schools that offer drum set majors and you will be competing with possibly a thousand or more applicants to the variety of schools. And they're all the best drummers in their school. You literally go from being big fish in a small pond to ... well, you get the idea.

I took the liberty of looking up UNT's percussion page: http://www.music.unt.edu/percussion/ As you can see, their last audition for the fall of 2007 for undergraduates is in February. You need to have applied and been admitted before auditioning. I'd say that's fairly standard for most schools, so you need to figure out where you're going to apply now. Again, if you're applying for a school that does NOT have a drum set major, be prepared to be asked to play snare, mallets, and timpani for your audition.

Drummerjew

I have been looking in schools and the one i want to go to the most is burklee school of music in Cali. I'm not going in under a drum major. I want to take many types of music and history of it all. I want to be a composer/producer. I have doing SAT classes and help w/ schools from that place. I am on top of my game and I devote my life to music. All i want to do is just getin the right school. I have already applied to 2 schools Burklee and University of Miami(FL). I am also a jounior...and anything I would say is to do as much as u can to get in the school of your choice. I barly have anytime for my friends, but I know i will have great years when i go to college!