Cobra Strike exercise

BillRayDrums

This is a simple little thing I like to stretch out with- You use the thumb/forefinger pivot on and pull in with your back fingers as you pull back. As you can see the rotation point should stay as stationery as possible .

Wax on, wax off.

Homki890

That's a full stroke. Nothing spectacular. It's a warm-up. Surely you don't play like that. And I'm still not clear on where the fulcrum is.

Homki890

EDIT: Well, Down stroke actually, based on the two pictures. Full Strokes come back up.

BillRayDrums

Homki890":ofan4jcj said:
That's a full stroke. Nothing spectacular. It's a warm-up. Surely you don't play like that. And I'm still not clear on where the fulcrum is.

Homki890

EDIT: Well, Down stroke actually, based on the two pictures. Full Strokes come back up.
No. It's a thing that gets me in touch with the rotational point of the stick. Perhaps a video will clarify.

As far as the fulcrum goes, it resides in a triangular area between the thumb, index and middle fingers. Not a pinch point but a rotational point.....for lack of a better explanation.

DrumsPlus

BillRayDrums":1e419ei7 said:
Homki890":1e419ei7 said:

Homki890

No. It's a thing that gets me in touch with the rotational point of the stick. Perhaps a video will clarify.

As far as the fulcrum goes, it resides in a triangular area between the thumb, index and middle fingers. Not a pinch point but a rotational point.....for lack of a better explanation.
How long did it take to develop the left hand. I seem to be able to do it with the right when I've tried something like this in the past, but my left still has problems getting the fingers to move as fast.

Homki890

But you hold the stick, grip, with the two back fingers, as in the other post. So, the fulcrum spot, rotational point, sweet spot, whatever, is about an inch in front of where you grip the stick? To me, it just looks like the picture I posted.

Homki890

BillRayDrums

Homki890":13jdjn6e said:
But you hold the stick, grip, with the two back fingers, as in the other post. So, the fulcrum spot, rotational point, sweet spot, whatever, is about an inch in front of where you grip the stick? To me, it just looks like the picture I posted.

Homki890
Essentially it is. I never claimed ownership of the technique but simply stated that it's what I use and brought it to the table via photos taken last night.

Homki890

BillRayDrums":3kttsxpg said:
Homki890":3kttsxpg said:

Homki890
Essentially it is. I never claimed ownership of the technique but simply stated that it's what I use and brought it to the table via photos taken last night.
Ok dude, calm down. Could've said that when I posted the picture first, could have avoided the confusion.

Now, follow up. is your snare drum on your kit slanted?

Homki890

BillRayDrums

Homki890":38rbytbr said:
BillRayDrums":38rbytbr said:
Homki890":38rbytbr said:

Homki890
Ok dude, calm down. Could've said that when I posted the picture first, could have avoided the confusion.

Homki890
Snare is pretty much flat. Maybe 5 degrees towards me.

Henry George

BillRay thats a good exercise, it's a part of the Moeller tech. ex.
I do an ex. very similar with out the stick for wrist and finger flexibility.
My snare is slanted coz I can not get it dead flat so it slants away from me.
Maybe I need a new snare stand.

SGarrett

Homki890":2x1kqmuw said:
BillRayDrums":2x1kqmuw said:
Homki890":2x1kqmuw said:

Homki890

Homki890
Maybe you should take your own advice and check who you're questioning.

Man, you really need to work on that level of arrogance. It's going to keep you from working.

Homki890

SGarrett":aiyk9ddk said:
Homki890":aiyk9ddk said:
BillRayDrums":aiyk9ddk said:
Homki890":aiyk9ddk said:

Homki890

Homki890
Maybe you should take your own advice and check who you're questioning.

Man, you really need to work on that level of arrogance. It's going to keep you from working.
In this day and age, you have to be arrogant to even be considered for work. So, forgive me for not taking anything for face value. How else do you learn about people than by questioning them and their methods? It's how one gauges a feel for the player, and if he knows what he's talking about. BillyRay is a great player, I'm not trying to find something wrong about him and jazzing it up, that's for politicians, not for drummers. If I see something that seems weird to me, I'm going to ask about it, with some questions.

And as for the sarcasm, lighten up. You're going to hear a lot of it in your lifetime, might as well get used to it. Might even learn to laugh at it.

Homki890

SGarrett

Homki890":rsyzf9du said:
In this day and age, you have to be arrogant to even be considered for work. So, forgive me for not taking anything for face value. How else do you learn about people than by questioning them and their methods? It's how one gauges a feel for the player, and if he knows what he's talking about. BillyRay is a great player, I'm not trying to find something wrong about him and jazzing it up, that's for politicians, not for drummers. If I see something that seems weird to me, I'm going to ask about it, with some questions.

And as for the sarcasm, lighten up. You're going to hear a lot of it in your lifetime, might as well get used to it. Might even learn to laugh at it.

Homki890
If you honestly believe that, you don't know half of what you think you know.

Homki890

SGarrett":fdrt7p8x said:
Homki890":fdrt7p8x said:

Homki890
Easy with the personal attacks there. Your position should be higher than that. I'm beginning to think that you follow my posts, seeing as how most of the times I've voiced a dissenting opinion, I've been shot down by you. That's slightly stalker-like. If you want to attack me, why don't you post a thread in the Off Topic section, and we can duke it out there.

BillyRay, sorry we've contaminated your post. It's insightful, don't get me wrong. When I see stuff that's "weird" or such, I'll ask and press about it. No hard feelings.

Everyone else, just ignore us two.

Homki890

SGarrett

Homki890":6kyhmr2h said:
SGarrett":6kyhmr2h said:
Homki890":6kyhmr2h said:

Homki890
Easy with the personal attacks there. Your position should be higher than that. I'm beginning to think that you follow my posts, seeing as how most of the times I've voiced a dissenting opinion, I've been shot down by you. That's slightly stalker-like. If you want to attack me, why don't you post a thread in the Off Topic section, and we can duke it out there.

BillyRay, sorry we've contaminated your post. It's insightful, don't get me wrong. When I see stuff that's "weird" or such, I'll ask and press about it. No hard feelings.

Homki890
I'm a moderator, it's kinda my job to read things. Sorry to burst your bubble. ;)

That wasn't a personal attack. That was the truth. You've been playing for nine years, are a freshman in college, and yet you constantly act like you're the world's gift to drumming. You honestly don't know half of what you think you know. Ask any working and/or professional musician and they'll all tell you that they'd take someone with lesser skill that they like being around over someone who's highly skilled and arrogant. Have no fear, once you get out there you'll either make the attitude adjustment or you'll find a different career path where arrogance doesn't matter. And as far as me needing to learn how to laugh at sarcasm. I grew up watching Monty Python and Benny Hill. I think I've got a pretty good grasp on how to be sarcastic. Ok? Ok. Buh-bye.

All I'm saying is, check your attitude. Take it as an insult if you want, it just proves your insecurity if you do. :)

Homki890

SGarrett":3b3k6ae2 said:
Homki890":3b3k6ae2 said:
SGarrett":3b3k6ae2 said:
Homki890":3b3k6ae2 said:

Homki890

Homki890
I'm a moderator, it's kinda my job to read things. Sorry to burst your bubble. ;)

That wasn't a personal attack. That was the truth. You've been playing for nine years, are a freshman in college, and yet you constantly act like you're the world's gift to drumming. You honestly don't know half of what you think you know. Ask any working and/or professional musician and they'll all tell you that they'd take someone with lesser skill that they like being around over someone who's highly skilled and arrogant. Have no fear, once you get out there you'll either make the attitude adjustment or you'll find a different career path where arrogance doesn't matter. And as far as me needing to learn how to laugh at sarcasm. I grew up watching Monty Python and Benny Hill. I think I've got a pretty good grasp on how to be sarcastic. Ok? Ok. Buh-bye.

All I'm saying is, check your attitude. Take it as an insult if you want, it just proves your insecurity if you do. :)
Ten years actually.

ItsReallyJoe

...Mr. Moderator is right. There are enough jerk musicians and hot shots out there. Stuff your ego. I've gone through college with the music thing, and have been playing way longer than you brother and one thing Jim Wall my old instructor from Berklee made clear to me is if you walk into a room of musicians its a good idea to assume everyone of them will blow you off your kit if given the chance. so act with some respect. this room is pretty big. :wink:

drumur

Unless you learn to be a team player, you won't last for long.

BTW, some of the greatest drummers out there are the nicest, most humble people.
You'd be surprised when you meet them in person.

xdoseonex

drumur":24una8ph said:

BTW, some of the greatest drummers out there are the nicest, most humble people.
yeah, and then we have people like james brown and buddy rich

SGarrett

xdoseonex":34ud0a03 said:
drumur":34ud0a03 said:

yeah, and then we have people like james brown and buddy rich
Who both lead their own bands.