Coated or Non-Coated

drummert2k

personal preference. before you buy them, find a drum kit with coated on and a drum kit with clear on and see what you like more. i found coated has a little more of a pronounced attack while clear have a bit richer tone. but then again, the drums are gonna have an impact on the sound too. try to find a fllor tom or something with a coated and one with a clear head and give a few smacks so you can hear for yourself and decide what you like more

drummer912

i agreee with sarcasm, always coated on snare. i personally like the warmer sound of coated heads on toms but noncoated look better imo.

galgano16

always coated on the snare though... always...[/quote]

of course u always use a coated head on a snare, do sum ppl really think u kan make a snare sound good with a clear head?

xdoseonex

you can make a snare sound great with a clear head, not that i'd ever be caught dead with a clear head on my snare drum. but some drummers perfer it.
as for toms i like clear heads for good kits and coated heads for not so great kits. the clear heads will really let your drums sing. if you have a nice kit thats good, if you have an old basswood piece of crap your better off putting coated skins on it to "mask" a bit of that bad sound.

Rem

non coated heads sound alot more punchy and wet. coated heads only sound a little warmer

screamkevin

drummert2k":3tmoy8p1 said:
personal preference. before you buy them, find a drum kit with coated on and a drum kit with clear on and see what you like more. i found coated has a little more of a pronounced attack while clear have a bit richer tone. but then again, the drums are gonna have an impact on the sound too. try to find a fllor tom or something with a coated and one with a clear head and give a few smacks so you can hear for yourself and decide what you like more
I personally prefer a coated snare head (Evans ST Dry) and clear tom heads (Evans G2 for batter, G1 for reso). And Tim, my band is coming back to Middleburg on August 11th. Be there, or I'll be forced to smack you around.

galgano16

i use both g2 coated and clear, i prefer the clear but i think the coated versions r well suited 4 slower accents and fills

DRUMSMYWIFE

flip a coin they both sound good. but get some Evans E-rings to make em' sound better because they stink without them just practicing by yourself. and during live shows were you play rock, take the rings off.

xdoseonex

those heads defiantly dont suck without e-rights, e-rings cover the bearing edge of the drum, so they choke the resonation as opposed to controlling it. your alot better off with moongels than remOs or e-rings

skitch

Just a matter of preference in my book; I like clear on my toms right now, but I used to use coated.

MitchellSri

I use a clear head on my snare frequently, usually for sounds with my snare off, but not always. I like the way a coated sounds for most music, but clear heads have a nice ring to them.

dave lynch

Man that's a tuff one..I'm using G2 coated right now and they sound great, but I've used G2 clears and they sound great..The clears have a tad more crack, but the coated have a real nice warm sound with crack..All the same, snap em in the middle and they both sound great..O yeah..the coated are a bit easier to control..!!

JP

galgano16":3p33vnkf said:
always coated on the snare though... always...
of course u always use a coated head on a snare, do sum ppl really think u kan make a snare sound good with a clear head?[/quote]

no but i but it sounds different never heared a snare sound like the way mine did :)

dave lynch

I've notice some sound men/whomen have a problem geting the snare out there..It's like they're affraid of it..(smaller venues) I 'm almost tempted to use a clear on a snare just to have it cut through their weekness..LOL..only in some venues of course..!!!