Coated and Clear

dbkman

For so long, I've been going back and forth between coated and clear. Most of the time, the genre or style determines this choice. But for just my default configuration for heads, I've been torn. But for the past few months I've been trying this out, and I see alot of drummers do this. There's a semi-old picture of my kit setup in my signature, and I'm still rockin that setup but here's the point. On my rack tom and 14" floor tom, I have Coated heads. And on my 16 I have an Evans hydraulic. Does anyone esle do that? I just can't stomach the sound of my 16 tom with coated heads, but all the other toms are absolutely beautiful. That's why I've been going back and forth. But then I thought to myself..."why not do both" I know it doesn't look as cool as matching heads but...I'm not going for looks over sound. Anybody else do this?

m

I have two 12" toms in my kit, and I usually keep a coated head on the left 12'er and a clear on the main tom, for a contrast between the two.
I like my main run of toms to sound consistent and I prefer clear heads, so I don't mix between them, I keep the same type of heads on all of them.
But I like having the choice of a really different sound on the left.

I've got coated heads on my other kit, but again, I don't mix between the toms- I like them all to sounds consistent.

dbkman

see thats the weird thing is they mix really well. but then again i havent recorded with them yet. live they mix well, miced they rock so far..but we'll see

dannydrumperc

dbkman":2m57cxul said:
see thats the weird thing is they mix really well. but then again i havent recorded with them yet. live they mix well, miced they rock so far..but we'll see
May I ask what model/brand heads do you have on your drums currently and what others had you tried?

I have a similar issue myself, enjoying how my 10", 12" & 14" toms sound with coated Emperor batters, but not liking how the 16" tom sound with that same model drumhead; although my belief was that I got a faulty head :?

I turned my 16" tom last week into an auxiliary kick, with a Pinstripe as batter and Ebony Ambassador (4" port) as resonant, and I'm really enjoying how it sound with sticks. It doesn't sound as part of the family, compared to the other 3 drums, but it sounds good by it's own.

I have a very good book (Drum Tuning by Larry Nolly) that says it is important to be consistant between drum subgroups (smaller toms vs. larger toms). I think that you and I have just discovered that know :D

anavrinIV

i personally love the sound of all my toms with coated g2s, but ive heard of guys using different heads for all of their toms based on the sound theyre going for. if all the drums sound good together, dont worry about it.

dbkman

Well I said in my original post how I was trying out mixing heads...and I said I hadn't recorded with them yet. Well I did and Remo Coated Emps sounded the best. You can really pick out the clear head in the mix. So I'm going with coated again. It's amazing what you can hear recorded. I tried about 5 different tunings, 3 types of head ( including different reso ) and 3 different types of muffling. And I've come up with what I like. Coated remos, they arent too thick but they're just enough, and the coated just adds this warm tone to them. as far as muffling, I don't muffle the 10 inch tom at all, and the 12 just one moongel on the side, and the floor toms I used remo rings ( the thin ones ) and for tuning I tuned the 10 inch tom reso and batter the same, the 12 incher reso was a little higher than the batter, and with both floor toms I tuned the reso a bit higher. I love it. I brought out to much in my kit jsut by changing little things like that. As for the kick, the way I had it was great. same with the snare. Loved it.

And dannydrumperc, I know what you're sayin. Just sitting behind the kit, everything sounded better with the clear head on the 16 tom, thats the one I couldn't nail, but I listen to it recorded and it TOTALLY stuck out, but its all good. I fixed it now. Thanks for all the replies dudes!

dannydrumperc

dbkman":1r71eb09 said:
And dannydrumperc, I know what you're sayin. Just sitting behind the kit, everything sounded better with the clear head on the 16 tom, thats the one I couldn't nail, but I listen to it recorded and it TOTALLY stuck out, but its all good. I fixed it now. Thanks for all the replies dudes!
Good to hear you found it.

I recently discovered the goodness of coated bottom heads. Now I have coated Emperors on batters and coated Ambasadors on bottoms- very warm and rounded sound. It also has a shorter sustain, making it ideal for studio work.

I'm using a tuning system discussed a while ago at drummercafe.com which involves having the batter head of your smaller tom to the same pitch of that on the bottom head of it's next lower tuned tom. It gives me a "within the family" kind of sound. Currently have my toms somewhere between 3rds - 4ths appart.