Clicky bass drum sound?

Jum-Bo-Lya

I put a pillow in my bass drum the other day because a friend told me I should, after I had had nothing in there, and I hate the sound! Does anyone know how to get the clicky bass sound like the metal players?

Rockula!

A favorite of "clicky bass drum sound" players is the Aquarian series that has the built in dampening rings
I cannot seem to remember the nme of that head right now

drummert2k

there you have it.

metal kick pad

hard plastic or wooden beater

a "deadened batter head" (remember, you're going for the attack here.)

or use triggers if you're into that sort of thing.

as for the pillow. make sure its touching the reso head. not completely against it. just laying on the bottom of the shell butted up against the reso. and also the batter a little if its a big eneough pillow

theman093

You can also try taping quarters to the spot where the beater touches the head. You'll get a pronounced click sound along with increased bottom end.

Howepirate

theman093":3q38syd4 said:
You can also try taping quarters to the spot where the beater touches the head. You'll get a pronounced click sound along with increased bottom end.
Or a credit card

drummer4thefreaks

i havnt gone for a metal sound, but my aquarian super kick II with an double-kick pad has a click anyway. i love the sound of my bass drum lol :D

Piddywiffle

??

I getta pretty good click with my felt heads...

Its gotta pillow inside, and a foam dampening ring on the OUTSIDE head. The rest is a tighter inside head tuning and a looser outside head tuning. Makes for a good sound.

I shouldn't claim it's the "metal" click. But If I tried a bit harder I could probably accomplish it. But... I likes the way it sounds =P

ultrastu

i would say to get the consistent double bass metal sound you really need to be triggering which means regardless how hard you hit it should produce the same volume and tone. Taping coins to the pedal is a short term solution but it does tend to spoil the head and it sounds better from where the drummer is sitting then out the front but it depends whether you are doing it for your own satisfaction or for gigging?

Rockula!

drummer4thefreaks":3r49qebn said:
i havnt gone for a metal sound, but my aquarian super kick II with an double-kick pad has a click anyway. i love the sound of my bass drum lol :D
That is the model I was trying to remember

xdoseonex

dont use one of those metal or plastic pads and dont tape quarters to you beaters. you want punch and low end as well as attack a doing that stuff is gonna fuck with your sound. just experement with different heads and tunings and damperings till you get a sund you like. I recomend the evans emad. i thnk its the best head out there for metal players. although Aquarian also makes a built in damper head called the super kick and iv heard great things about that one as well

I find Danmar metal click pads, plastic or wood beaters and Aquarian Super Kick II heads work the best for a good clicky sound. Leave virtually nothing in the kick, maybe a small hand towel if you want that big boomy, clicky Vinnie Paul sound, or throw a pillow in there against the reso head and touch it to the batter for a more tight sound. But remember, you gotta have some punch and low end too, so dont muffle the drum too much.

I've got layers of packaging tape over the click plate. Sounds kind of strange, but it kind of EQ's it a bit.

disrupt13

Aquarian super kick 2, use hard plastic beaters, stuff a mediocre sized pillow and tighten it tightly, i got a perfect click, the onlly reason i use triggs, is so i can hear what im doing.