Clear shells

AK-Drummer

iv never heard any....but honestly....EWWWWW....they look so....groossss. crazy paints jobs and all that is like half the fun....see through drums are just a major turn off to me :(

m

they're typically called 'acrylic shells.'
here's some previous discussions:

http://www.drumsmylife.com/viewtopic.php?t=3693

http://www.drumsmylife.com/viewtopic.php?t=2409

http://www.drumsmylife.com/viewtopic.php?t=3233

I've played a few acrylic sets recently, and I really like them. They sound like drums, you know? I doubt very seriously most folks would know the difference on a recording.

Saw the band MUSE last night, the drummer was playing an acrylic Tama kit and it sounded great. It was about the only thing in the mix that sounded decent, the place had horrible sound. But the acrylic kit sounded really powerful and punchy.

We stayed for one and a half songs from the headlining band; the guy had two full drum kits setup, and they both sounded like poop to me~ I'm not really sure why there were two full kits.

anavrinIV

i love the look of acrylic drums. a few weeks ago i saw portnoy play live with a set of starclassic mirages and that set had the lowest most sternum-cracking punch ive ever heard, and i was standing in the crowd, not next to the subs.

drummerboi

i personally like acrylic shells.... they can have an excelent sound if you know how to tune them correctly. I'm thinking of bulding a clear acrylic set with black hardware in the future.

Palryo

first time i saw them was when travis barker used them in the + 44 video (please dont shoot me for saying his name ...) but yeah, they look kinda cool and id like to own an acrylic set one day. And black hardware sounds awesome btw

Howepirate

The dude from Maylene and the Sons of Disaster was usin some custom companys acrylics and they were some of the loudest punchiest and most musically full drums next to a Maple and Birch hybrid if there was such a thing. If most of the bloody sizes of acrylic drums werent outrageously huge.

drummert2k

i'd personally pass on acrylic drums. they're loud and have lots of attack but it can be really hard to control. and you cant get the real warm tones as you do with wood.

acrylic snares though, them i like!

m

you cant get the real warm tones as you do with wood.
I don't think I can agree with that part~ I've heard them in settings where they sound just fine. The acrylic Tama kit I heard earlier this week far surpassed the dull tones of the two wooden kits the headlining band was using.
Of course in a live setting there are a lot of other factors to consider, but seriously, the acrylics sounded way better at this show.

I've seen a few manufacturers making 'hybrid' kits lately, that combine wooden and acrylic sections in the shell. My friend just bought such a Spaun kit, and claims it's one of the best kits he's ever owned. This seems to be a good compromise for those who feel you have to have some wood in the recipe~

m

need more wood, less acrylic? Apparently they do that too (I kinda like this one!):

Benhamin

i bought a clear kit and i couldnt find it :shock: :lol:
i bought and acrylic and it sounded big and boomy :roll:
i bought a maple and it sounded like a slice of heaven :D :eek: