cleaning drums and cymbals

seandude

can i just use a swifer for the drums? just dusty its really dusty!!!
and for cymbals i was thinking soap and water...cause i heard cymbal cleaner smells soo badly!

Solix

seandude":djlk2eii said:
can i just use a swifer for the drums? just dusty its really dusty!!!
and for cymbals i was thinking soap and water...cause i heard cymbal cleaner smells soo badly!
Swiffer = Okay

Soap and water on cymbals = NO!
Yes, cymbal cleaner doesn't smell very good, but it's your best bet for getting your cymbals clean without ruining them. Just be sure to follow the instructions and clean them in a well-ventilated area.

BillRayDrums

Pledge works well for drums (spray it on a rag and wipe as opposed to spraying directly on the shell). Use some brasso-type cleaner for the cymbals and check this out- Spray a bit of that pledge polish on a cloth and wipe your cymbals with that. They will resist fingerprints even better and it won't affect the sound. Word of caution- they will be slicker than you can imaine so make sure you have a grip on them during packup.

Scrogs

I use a spray glass cleaner on my hardware and drums, most drums have a cleare coat, the key is too a clean. soft cloth, not just some old shirt...

My cymbals, (keep in mind, I dont have any Paiste's) I first wipe them off using WINDEX, then I use MOTHERS ALLOY WHEEL POLISH to clean them,
then I hit them with WINDEX again, then I apply a coat of MOTHERS CAR WAX (ITS VERY IMPORTANT to get the kind WITHOUT ANY CLEANER, WAX ONLY), then I buff them
to a shine after the wax dries.

The down side to the this process is it takes awhile to do bunch of cymbals and you can go through bags of cotton towels, be carefull of the Painted on lettering, this can be
removed by the polish

The good side is they look new when you done and if you wipe them off after every practice and show, you only have to clean them every six months
or a year depending on your environment. I got this process off a website awhile ago and it works prefect for me....good luck faka

wes_125

Windex is always a safe bet, since it's just a glass cleaner. I use it on my drum shells, and my marimba keys

rufus4dagruv

Solix":2ixxope6 said:
Soap and water on cymbals = NO!
And why would you say no to this practice, exactly? Just curious. IMO, there is nothing wrong with using soap and water to clean a cymbal, if you have to clean a cymbal. I like for my cymbals to develop patina, but I have 3 cymbals, an A custom crash, an AA splash, and an AAX splash that I only used soap and water and a sponge to clean. Yes, what was left of the logos was removed, but I honestly have no need for logos on my cymbals, so it was not a concern.

Oh, and if you think that I have somehow altered the tone of these cymbals by cleaning them this way, the engineers that have recorded these cymbals and mic'd them up in live situations said they sounded great.

FiestyRedDrummEr

BillRayDrums":2bf677f2 said:
Pledge works well for drums (spray it on a rag and wipe as opposed to spraying directly on the shell). Use some brasso-type cleaner for the cymbals and check this out- Spray a bit of that pledge polish on a cloth and wipe your cymbals with that. They will resist fingerprints even better and it won't affect the sound. Word of caution- they will be slicker than you can imaine so make sure you have a grip on them during packup.
I'm with you.

LouDaGr8

so do you guys think that it would be fine to just use some regular brasso on my cymbals? I know someone mentioned it, but i just wana make sure :p

Rob Crisp

I'm also a regular polish guy for drums, spray on rag, wipe over drums. Cymbals I use either soap and water, or use tomato sauce then rinse off.

I see no issue with using water on cymbals, I always dry with a towel afterwards so it's not like they're going to tarnish.

JAdrums2k

Scrogs":23i4gu03 said:
I first wipe them off using WINDEX, then I use MOTHERS ALLOY WHEEL POLISH to clean them,
then I hit them with WINDEX again, then I apply a coat of MOTHERS CAR WAX (ITS VERY IMPORTANT to get the kind WITHOUT ANY CLEANER, WAX ONLY), then I buff them
to a shine after the wax dries.
That works good in a pinch... I've done that w/ mine (Z customs) Made em look brand new again!!