Cleaning an Earthworks cymbal

JasonDeLima

shine.fm-youth":1a5o5zvd said:
don't clean your cymbals!!!

gives them character :lol:
What if he uses Buddy Rich or Travis Barker sticks!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!

When I clean my cymbals, I just use water and press as hard as I can.

DrumsPlus, if you did use painted sticks, I feel bad for you. Because they ruined my cymbals as well. =P
But if you haven't, don't ever plan on using them.

shine.fm-youth

JasonDeLima":234kdrc7 said:
shine.fm-youth":234kdrc7 said:
don't clean your cymbals!!!

gives them character :lol:
What if he uses Buddy Rich or Travis Barker sticks!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!

When I clean my cymbals, I just use water and press as hard as I can.

DrumsPlus, if you did use painted sticks, I feel bad for you. Because they ruined my cymbals as well. =P
But if you haven't, don't ever plan on using them.
hey, there are exceptions :lol:
but on that note...just don't use colored sticks!

Cheerful-Bear

I tried cleaning the bottom of something Earthworks, and it made the finish very light. It rubs most of it off, don't do it.

DrumsPlus

I don't use colored sticks at all, but I've noticed that the finish is rubbing off on my sticks and discoloring my heads. I clean my cymbals with a rag after every time I practice, so I no it's not dust. I guess I will try the soap and water thing.

Cheerful-Bear

I cleaned it with groove juice and it rubbed it off. If the same thing happens to you, Jamie said he can refinish it for free d you just have to pay the shipping.

Alan_

so what's up with the finish? Is it kind of similar to what Paiste does?

not used to worrying about the finish on a cymbal.

Thats why I dont clean my cymbals but also cause I think they sound better dirty.

And I've never gotten white marks on my cymbals by useing the Buddy Rich sticks. I get them when I use Travis barkers sticks though.(which is why I refuse to buy them now)

JasonDeLima

I love Cheese and drums":1h83egon said:
Thats why I dont clean my cymbals but also cause I think they sound better dirty.

And I've never gotten white marks on my cymbals by useing the Buddy Rich sticks. I get them when I use Travis barkers sticks though.(which is why I refuse to buy them now)
Oh really? I guess Vic Firth makes better painted sticks, than Zildjian.

Alan_

zildjian sticks blow. eos. never had another brand where I had to pick through so many warped uneven sticks to find some good ones.

Cheerful-Bear

I use the Promark Neil Peart like 30th Anniversary sticks. When I first started using them, I turned my rims red and got some on my hats. I don't even think it's there much any more.

JasonDeLima

Cheerful-Bear":2dq6awv9 said:
I use the Promark Neil Peart like 30th Anniversary sticks. When I first started using them, I turned my rims red and got some on my hats. I don't even think it's there much any more.
Same when I started using Ringo Starr's sticks.
Now I just use Vic Firth 5As. But I do kinda miss the feel of Peart's Snakes and Arrows sticks.

DrumsPlus

I use Silverfox sticks that are natural finish. That's not the problem, the problem is the finish is transferring to the stick and then onto my heads. I also use one standard finish cymbal and some finish has transfered onto it.

DrumsPlus

Really I got the cymbals for two reasons. First because they didn't look like any others. Second because it cut down the glare from the lights, so there was a thought process there.

shine.fm-youth

i don't know if i would call it a coating though,
cause when you call a cymbal coated i think of paistes colorsounds
or the new gross black zildjians
it's just a splattered(i guess) finish over the hammering
it does look really neat, and it's really different

Alan_

even paistes that aren't colorsound have a clear coating when you buy them that gradually wears off.

so what we're talking about is that splatter stuff on them...hm, I always thought that was the result of changing the color through some weird forging technique.