Classic Rock/Blues Cymbals

Nessmaster

As I'm getting more and more acquainted with drumming and the hardware I want to start looking out for better sound quality from cymbals. Currently I have a Paiste 101 basic pack and a 201 splash. I'm really into Classic Rock and Blues type of music and that's what I mainly play with my band (i.e. Jimi Hendrix, The Who, Led Zeppelin). I was wondering what model cymbals should I be on the look out for (searching ebay or craigslist and such)? I'm not really a brand whore and I haven't devoted my life to Paiste cymbals or anything, so I'm open to Zildjian, Paiste, Istanbul Agop, Meinl, Sabian and etc. Could you guys recommend a few brand models to be on the look out for that are associated with the sound I am aiming for? Budget and high end stuff as well :)

rufus4dagruv

There are a lot of possibilities out there. I would recommend going to the big 3 manufacturer's websites to listen to some the cymbals to get an idea.

When rock and blues first became prominent forces in music, the musicians were using Zildjian and later Paiste, but nowadays, like you mentioned, with so many cymbal manufacturers out there, you may find the sounds you are looking for in several places. Good luck.

anavrinIV

sabian aa or hh, zildjian a series, k or k custom, paiste 2002, signature, or twenty, meinl byzance (and a few of the many sub categories that follow), saluda diamond or mist-x. those would be my starting place....

michiganice91

Paiste signatures, traditionals, RUDE, 2002's, twenty's...zildjian A/K/Z, Sabian HH, HHX, Vault, AAX, AA... Meinl byzance, MB20

bapudi

Nessmaster":qz96qlqd said:
As I'm getting more and more acquainted with drumming and the hardware I want to start looking out for better sound quality from cymbals. Currently I have a Paiste 101 basic pack and a 201 splash. I'm really into Classic Rock and Blues type of music and that's what I mainly play with my band (i.e. Jimi Hendrix, The Who, Led Zeppelin). I was wondering what model cymbals should I be on the look out for (searching ebay or craigslist and such)? I'm not really a brand whore and I haven't devoted my life to Paiste cymbals or anything, so I'm open to Zildjian, Paiste, Istanbul Agop, Meinl, Sabian and etc. Could you guys recommend a few brand models to be on the look out for that are associated with the sound I am aiming for? Budget and high end stuff as well :)

just keep with paiste. they have the same sounds as mitches cymbals

pow3rtr1p

Zildjian K, Paiste Big Beat, or Saluda Earthworks and Diamond series are what I would look into for blues stuff.

break the prism

Zildjian A was most likely what Mitch Mitchell used. I know he used Zildjian. 14" hats 16" crash, 18" medium crash, and 20" riveted ride...something like that.

i look towards bonham for the classic sound. paiste 2002 and giant beat series (if you can scrape together enough green)

nickg

break the prism":3ugaoxro said:
i look towards bonham for the classic sound. paiste 2002 and giant beat series (if you can scrape together enough green)
i agree...the Paiste 2002s are classic cymbals. though i would love to get a set of the Giant Beats. they were the precursors to the 2002.

Angry_Monkey

Nessmaster":1w1pc20v said:
Do a little research, and find out what Mitch, Keith and Bonzo played.

frankl

Angry_Monkey":2ds8zq9w said:
Nessmaster":2ds8zq9w said:
pretty much just 2002, 602 & giant beat if I remember correctly.

Angry_Monkey

frankl":1jzfhra9 said:
Angry_Monkey":1jzfhra9 said:
Nessmaster":1jzfhra9 said:
Bonzo used all three, starting with 602s, moving through the GBs and was playing 2002s at the end. Keith played Paisets as well (Don't know what models, probably BGs), but Mitch was a Zilly guy.

frankl

Angry_Monkey":1evmsx9l said:
frankl":1evmsx9l said:
Angry_Monkey":1evmsx9l said:
Nessmaster":1evmsx9l said:
Bonzo used all three, starting with 602s, moving through the GBs and was playing 2002s at the end. Keith played Paisets as well (Don't know what models, probably BGs), but Mitch was a Zilly guy.
i'm pretty sure keith played 2002s.

Angry_Monkey

frankl":39bmvvah said:
Angry_Monkey":39bmvvah said:
frankl":39bmvvah said:
i'm pretty sure keith played 2002s.
Keith joined the Who in 1964, seven years before the introduction of the 2002s.
Good point, I don't think I've seen his pre-2002 setup. Giant beats maybe?
What were his options, 602s?

Yeah, that would work well, Keith and 602s... That would be about as productive as hiring Hellen Keller to be your interior designer!