Christian Heavy Metal?

masonvonritchie

New member
Does anybody believe that heavy metal songs can be Christian songs? Metal is so often affiliated with death and destruction but I for one don't believe that always has to be true... Anyone else think the same?
 

drummert2k

New member
if a christian group or songwritter enjoys the metal genre but wants to have a positive message behind i say go for it. theres no law of music that says a cirtain style has to have lyrics about a cirtain thing.
 

Dale

New member
masonvonritchie":34xd80dc said:
Does anybody believe that heavy metal songs can be Christian songs? Metal is so often affiliated with death and destruction but I for one don't believe that always has to be true... Anyone else think the same?
Is there an exact criterior that makes something metal and something else not? Metal seems to be a pretty wide genre to me.
 

screamkevin

New member
Take away any of the lyrics to a Cannibal Corpse song. Is it still metal? Sure it is, listen to the music. Put in Christian lyrics. Is it still metal? Sure it is.

In my mind, it's the music more than the lyrics that define a genre.

Back before hardcore metal got really popular, "hair" metal ruled the day. Dig up some old Stryper, from "Soldiers Under Command" for example. They sounded just as hard as any other metal band of the day (Ratt, Quiet Riot, Ozzy, etc.), but they happened to be born-again Christians, and had Christian lyrics.

Sure, Billy Graham thought that they were Satan re-incarnated, but then again, he's a money-grubbing moron. Point is, they looked metal (keep in mind what metal was at that time), they sounded metal, they were metal, just Christian metal. But metal is metal is metal.

Is there an exact criteria that makes something metal and something else not? Metal seems to be a pretty wide genre to me.
If you get VH1 Classic, look for the movie, "Metal: A Headbanger's Journey". It's done by Sam Dunn, a Canadian metalhead who researched the heck out of metal. Outstanding look at the music.
You can find out more about the movie and buy it on DVD here: http://www.metalhistory.com/

Enjoy.
 

Mad_cow

New member
Look up the band Mortification,

If you weren't a seasoned Black Metal fan, and couldn't understand groweling, you would never know they are Christian.
 

Johnny Cat

New member
Anything goes with any type of music. Metal is no different than any other style in my opinion. I love metal. Write whatever you want to write about. Just don't be surprised if some people love it while others are offended by it. That's the way it is. The only thing that bothers me personally is if things are too preachy, whether it be music, books, movies, television, anything. Give me the facts and let me formulate my own opinion or belief thanks. :)

"Metal: A Headbanger's Journey" was enjoyable, but as Sam Dunn said himself, could have been much longer. It really just scratches the surface of metal and the culture. Understandable when you can only keep a movie to a certain length.
 

Timekeep69

New member
There are alot of great Christian metal bands. A couple to check out are Demon Hunter and Immortal Soul.

A couple others are Pillar and Skillet.
 

DrumBum1992

New member
I think that christian heavy metal is perfectily fine the music still sounds the same as any other heavy metal band but has the message of god behind it
 

Howepirate

New member
being a christian myself i absolutly love it as a matter of fact im wearing an As I Lay Dying shirt right now lol and for a while i didnt even know they were christian until someone pointed them out and i listened to the lyrics more and hey why not listen to music that has a better message instead of the old cliche death death bloody bloody kill yourself lyrics like a lot of bands have out now...good christian metal bands i have are, As i Lay Dying of course, august burns red, Blindside, the chariot(really crazy drums and odd time sigs in some songs), Emery, Haste The Day, He Is Legend(good jazzy/screamo drummer), Maylene and the Sons of Disaster(crazy southern rock band old screamer of Underoath), Mortal Treason, Norma Jean, Showbread, Still Remains, Underoath, War of Ages, With Blood Comes Cleansing, and Zao so if anyones interested check em out
 

masonvonritchie

New member
Howepirate":5mcnlvdg said:
being a christian myself i absolutly love it as a matter of fact im wearing an As I Lay Dying shirt right now lol and for a while i didnt even know they were christian until someone pointed them out and i listened to the lyrics more and hey why not listen to music that has a better message instead of the old cliche death death bloody bloody kill yourself lyrics like a lot of bands have out now...good christian metal bands i have are, As i Lay Dying of course, august burns red, Blindside, the chariot(really crazy drums and odd time sigs in some songs), Emery, Haste The Day, He Is Legend(good jazzy/screamo drummer), Maylene and the Sons of Disaster(crazy southern rock band old screamer of Underoath), Mortal Treason, Norma Jean, Showbread, Still Remains, Underoath, War of Ages, With Blood Comes Cleansing, and Zao so if anyones interested check em out
you know, i have almost all of those bands in my music collection and I didn't even know they were Christian. go figure..
 

Animal

New member
OMG! Stryper! What a terrible band!
On the other hand, I didn't like the "non-Christian" bands in that genre either, so it wasn't because they were a "Christian Metal Band".
But Stryper had to bring it forward in an almost obsessive way (their Christianity) and I hated them for that.
And; Throwing bibles at the audience during concerts?
Gimme a break! :evil:


Others endorsing Christianity in Metal?

Well, King's X for one! And they are a great band too! 8)
They may be less obvious in the sense of Christian Metal, but sure have their references alright.

Me? I like them because they are a good band, regardless of beliefs! :wink:
 

Mainiacdrummer

New member
yaeh... there are alot of really good christian metal bands. as i lay dying, haste the day, and august burns red are some of the best in my opinion
 

nosnarb

New member
no one has mentioned Blindside and I didnt see them on the link that was posted.

http://www.blindsideonline.com/

For some reason I have never been much of a fan of Christian Bands, I suppose its because many of them tried too hard to be like their secular counterparts.
 

masonvonritchie

New member
Mainiacdrummer":2cw2smi6 said:
yaeh... there are alot of really good christian metal bands. as i lay dying, haste the day, and august burns red are some of the best in my opinion
I love August Burns Red
 

DreamT

New member
Bands like Still Breathing, Marked, Demon Hunter, etc. are great examples of great Metal Bands that put christian lyrics in their songs. You can't define a style as bad or vulgar it's the spirit the song is played in and the message that comes from them.
 

Call me Gideon

New member
Ok...I was readin this earlier today and the more I thought about it the more something bugged me. Ill come right out and admit that Im a christian and that back in the day, you could definitly tell when you were listening to a christian metal band. There was just a flavor to it that was different from a secular band. This is whats buggin me...if you profess to be a "christian" band, shouldnt people be able to tell that thats where youre comin from? The primary tenant of Christianity was to minister to the world about your beliefs. If people can own your cd and love it and have no idea that your a christian band I would think thats kind of defeating the purpose of BEING a christian band. Just my opinion. *shrug*
BTW...I have never been in a chritian band of any kind just listened to a lot of them when I was younger.
 
Top