Choosing drum sizes...need some input/knowledge.

Ok so I'm getting ready to order a new kit but I couldn't decide the exact sizes I want. My main question would be about the depths of the drums. The bigger the depth the deeper the drum sound? is that correct or am i way off here. I need some feedback on choosing the right drum sizes for me. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks.

Timekeep69

The deeper the shell, the deeper the tone and also the more resonant the drum will be. With a deep shell the air takes longer to move through the shell to the resonant head.

FelterSkelter

Timekeep69":1r6puuu7 said:
The deeper the shell, the deeper the tone and also the more resonant the drum will be. With a deep shell the air takes longer to move through the shell to the resonant head.
I just posted this theory but would a greater depth require a heavier hitter?

Timekeep69

FelterSkelter":10ox43uf said:
Timekeep69":10ox43uf said:
Not necessarily. I just went from 18x22 bass drums to 24x24 and I don't have to hit them any harder. Toms may be a little different but unless your going drastic in depth, I wouldn't worry about it.

Yeah I know a great custom drum builder too...www.medicinemandrumsaz.com. :)

FelterSkelter

Timekeep69":1kvjvpx2 said:
FelterSkelter":1kvjvpx2 said:
Timekeep69":1kvjvpx2 said:
Not necessarily. I just went from 18x22 bass drums to 24x24 and I don't have to hit them any harder. Toms may be a little different but unless your going drastic in depth, I wouldn't worry about it.

Yeah I know a great custom drum builder too...www.medicinemandrumsaz.com. :)
Yeah I was referring to power toms and such. There are many variables in this (what room, sticks, etc.) no?

skitch

Here is a thought from the school of David Garibaldi:

10" 13" 16" toms.

Just a thought for you to consider or disregard.

andybfrank

For me its all about contrast. At least a 16"x16" floor tom and a 12"x9" tom or smaller. Then fill in the spaces if you want more, like a 10, 13, 14, 18, 15 (if you can find it.)