China placement- normal or upside-down?

Shalaq

I play it bells-down, but just wondering what you think on the subject. I see many jazz drummers playing chinas bells-up. How do you hang your china?

anavrinIV

i play it so the lip is at the same angle as a crash would be, so i guess thats bell down. i doit not only because its much easier to hit but theres less chance of breaking it too.

I have two chinas in my set up and both of them are placed upside down, or bell side down and cranked down tight with some extra felts. I think that by doing this, it gives the cymbals a crushing attack with quicker shut off, and exposes the cymbal edge to get a better sticking approach to the cymbal, hope that helped.

wolfsburg6674

i havent had a china for bout a year now cause my wuhan cracked but i did play it bell down....i tried the other way but found my sticks breaking more frequently and the sound didnt seem to project as well

loop

I also play my chinas bell-down. It's easier to hit'em and they sound better in my opinion

Animal

Bell down on all of them (four) and angled about 45 degrees. My other cymbals are all flat down.

grimey mike

i play bell down too, the weird thing is on my china it has the logo and stuff on the side i have facing down... why would they put it that side if its supposed to be facing the other way!? but i just prefer it bell down!

Qbs

Animal":kv3peqi5 said:
Qbs":kv3peqi5 said:
isn't the cymbal more likely to crack when it's positioned bell-up?
I would think so, allthough I never really tried it. :)
me too :)
my china (actually it's a swish) is too good to experiment on it ;)

disrupt13

wolfsburg6674":2owblhdi said:
i havent had a china for bout a year now cause my wuhan cracked but i did play it bell down....i tried the other way but found my sticks breaking more frequently and the sound didnt seem to project as well

wuhans arent very sturdy, they are just for people who are like hey, i want a cheap cymbal that sounds decent for $12,

if that sounded cocky, it wasnt meant to be, for $12 though you cant beat it

Shaggy

Yeah, I have two Wuhan Chinas. A 12" and an 18". I play both bell down, and the guy above me is correct. Wuhans are for people who want a decent cymbal really freaking cheap.

screamkevin

druminzeetobaccofade":1vt0dk2q said:
I have two chinas in my set up and both of them are placed upside down, or bell side down and cranked down tight with some extra felts. I think that by doing this, it gives the cymbals a crushing attack with quicker shut off, and exposes the cymbal edge to get a better sticking approach to the cymbal, hope that helped.
You should really invest in some cymbal springs and stop cranking the chinas down. They need room to move with the striking action of you hitting the cymbal, or you'll crack it. One of the disadvantages of Wuhan and Saluda is that the cymbal bell is a cylinder, so you really can't put a cymbal spring on it.

Animal

I noticed Ginger Baker were playing Bells up on his china, during the Cream Royal Albert Hall concerts.

stump

I play my china on the right side and inverted ( bell down ). One thing that I have found over time is that if you use a spring mount ( I use aquarian ) you extend the life of the cymbal. I am a heavy hitter and have had my new china for almost 2 years with no problems using them. The springs are only around $8...so the way I see it is if you can save a 2-3 hundred dollar cymbal for $8 ...WHY NOT! By the way I play Zildjian A's and Z customs.

Vetis

One would think that playing with your bell side up would cause more stick-breaking than anything else.

Some Jazz drummers play with their chinas bell up because of the sound they get, most that I know of dont use it like a Rock or Metal drummer would use a china.

Homki890

I switch, depends what I feel like that day. Bells-down does get a more fast, punchy attack, more like an accent note. Bells-up is much more musical, and acts really as a cymbal. It is not as punchy as bells-down, but more mellow and dark in my opinion.

Of course, Im using an HHX, which are kind of dark to begin with.

Homki890

Johnny Cat

I play my Chinese bell down. It's the Paragon 19" with the larger flange, so I can really get a good sound by rocking the stick off of the lip with a glancing blow. There's hardly any shock from the impact, so I'm hoping that it will never break this way.