Check out this cymbal

drumshark

I know this should probably be in the cymbals section, but i figured it wouldnt get the attention it deserved their.
After a few trials, i figured out the best way to age your cymbal, soak it in a tub full of water bleach and salt.

Here are some pics, im not very good at this stuff, but hopefully itll work.

drumshark

Howepirate":1zno2a99 said:
Wow dude you could like sand the patina of of that
ya i recently did it, so the patina is still losely connected to the metal, but hopefully it will make a stronger bond after a month or so.

iatemygoat

can someone explain "dark" to me or is it something you just have to hear. ive got a 5 year old ride, do you think it should sound "darker" now than when i got it new?

Rob Crisp

Don't think anyone has actually asked this yet, but did it work? Did you get the sound you wanted/expected to?

michiganice91

iatemygoat":15xqtkqn said:
can someone explain "dark" to me or is it something you just have to hear. ive got a 5 year old ride, do you think it should sound "darker" now than when i got it new?
According to Meinl Cymbals

Dark
cymbals are not lathed and have their original appearance and sound characteristic.
They are distinguished by an earthy sound with a fairly short sustain.

and

Extra Dry
cymbals have big, deep hammer marks which in combination with the untreated, natural finish enable an extremely dark sound with a short sustain. Dominant lows with an esoteric character.

drumshark

i helped, the ZBT ride sucks, so the patina could only do soo much, but it definately helped get rid of some of the unwanted overtones. But i guarentee you, if you did this to a brilliant finish 14 inch, it would make a HUGE difference in the sound, or a splash could also be changed drasticly, i dont have a splash yet, but when i get one, ill probly do some tests on it.

Howepirate

michiganice91":33wfasbm said:
Howepirate":33wfasbm said:
michiganice91":33wfasbm said:
the purpose of this is???
Makes the cymbal darker bro...
if u say so..i would say u pretty much destroyed it
Lol its just oxidation...you could bring a light sanding over it and polish it back up to original

guess you would lose a logo or 2 on the way tho

JSdrmr

I was talking to a Zildjian rep once and he said that some people actually have buried their cymbals in the ground for a few years to age them, using the minerals in the soil, moisture, etc. I would think the actual dirt in the grooves wouldn't be a good idea, but on the other hand I play a 1970's Zildjian 20" Medium Ride that's pretty dirty BUT INCREDIBLE and I'm gonna cry when it goes.

Howepirate

JSdrmr":1wzj4h2j said:
I was talking to a Zildjian rep once and he said that some people actually have buried their cymbals in the ground for a few years to age them, using the minerals in the soil, moisture, etc. I would think the actual dirt in the grooves wouldn't be a good idea, but on the other hand I play a 1970's Zildjian 20" Medium Ride that's pretty dirty BUT INCREDIBLE and I'm gonna cry when it goes.
Yes this is very true. This i believe was invented by jazz players many years ago to age and darken their cymbs

drummert2k

Kaos":3c3nicfg said:
good thing you did that to a crappy cymbal
yeah, just when ya though a zbt couldnt get any worse. lol.

maybe i overlooked something, but if you want a darker sounding cymbal, cant you buy a darker sounding cymbal. sure people maybe burried them years ago to get this effect, but with the thousands and thousands of differant cymbal models out there from all the differant brands, im sure there something that replicates the old dark sound.

hope you never wanna try to re-sell that cymbal.

FelterSkelter

iatemygoat":wf4bwsus said:
It's always better to hear the difference.

You can also think about the adverse "bright." If something isn't bright than it's dark.

See how stupid it sounds trying to explain it. :roll: