cheap quality cymbals.

shiebcte

New member
I just noticed a new crack in my 16" B8 crash. This is the second crash i've broken and the only one im using at the moment. I dont have a job cuz im only fourteen so i need a fairly cheap cymbal with good sound. By the way i play in a death/black metal band. Any suggestions?
 

shuffler

New member
I've found some good local deals using craigslist on used plates. BTW, for metal, I would reccomend a crash bigger than 16. It doesn't matter how thick they are. Look for 18" or bigger. I used to go through 16" Zs like chewing gum, until I was given this same piece of advice. Now I use a 19" and a 20" and haven't broken a crash in 10 years. Good luck.
 

drumshark

New member
you may be able to find cheaper ones, but i reccomend B8's and ZBT's, their pretty cheap and sound pretty good, but be warned on the ZBT Rock ride and Rock hi-hat, not sure how the non-rock hat and ride sound, but pronbly pretty bad, i didnt like the zbt crash much at first, but i love it now, so you might wanna give it a chance. And the B8 crashes are kinda weird, find a guitar center and try different thinknesses before getting a set, but the b8 ride, crash/ride, and especially the hi-hats (i only use b8 hats) sound pretty good.
 
not trying to sound like a gear snob or anything, but the terms "cheap" and "quality" never go hand in hand.

if you want quality, you're going to have to spend some money.

i'd play the cracked cymbal and save for something nice....

and yeah, try something bigger than a 16. those things sound like splashes to me.
 

drummert2k

New member
shiebcte":1kkbospo said:
I just noticed a new crack in my 16" B8 crash. This is the second crash i've broken and the only one im using at the moment. I dont have a job cuz im only fourteen so i need a fairly cheap cymbal with good sound. By the way i play in a death/black metal band. Any suggestions?
play the cracked cymbals until you can save up to buy better cymbals. no point in spending 200 bucks though out a year getting like 3 differant cheap cymbals when you can buy one good one that wont crack on ya. believe me, i've been 14 with no job and crapped out gear. mow some lawns or walk the neighbors dogs or something. whatever you gotta do to get good gear that wont break on you.

save for a few months and just buy a decent crash.
 

Kaos

New member
collect cans and and find copper both metals are paying really good scap prices right now.
 

goatatl

New member
I have to agree that "cheap quality" cymbal is pretty much an oxymoron, unfortunately, with cymbals, you pretty much get what you pay for. I'd try eBay or craigslist, or if your local drum shop has a used cymbal rack. I'd definitely go larger than the 16", though.
 

drumnovido

New member
I recommend Ufips - Tiger line. They even have a line up cheaper than that. Contact 24-7 drums.com

I've started buying my cymbals there the last 3 months. I'm pretty happy.
 

Spydr2000

New member
Please check this out PAISTE PST 5's. I put these to the test they do break but it took lot to break them. I don't believe in highend cymbals anymore, technology has brough cymbals along way with a smaller price tag. I use 18" power crashes because I hit hard. But I really prefer the sounds of the medium crashes. Go check them out, or you can hear them on the paiste site.
 

stump

New member
Save your money and get quality (not cheap) cymbals. My 12 year old nephew saved every penny for half of a year and bought his Zildjian A master-sound hats and a fast crash. In turn I gave him my 20" Z-custom ride. I know how it is to be a young and anxious drummer but be patient and get good brass young man. Good luck.
 

phoenix7289

New member
shuffler":24ouju3g said:
I've found some good local deals using craigslist on used plates. BTW, for metal, I would reccomend a crash bigger than 16. It doesn't matter how thick they are. Look for 18" or bigger. I used to go through 16" Zs like chewing gum, until I was given this same piece of advice. Now I use a 19" and a 20" and haven't broken a crash in 10 years. Good luck.
This is a load of crap. And I know this from experience. A REAL metal drummer, will use any damn size they are given! You probably tighten your cymbals far too much. They should not be tight at all, or else any cymbal will crack. I use a Sabian 16" Vault series Crash, and hell, I've had it for nearly a year, and it has worked lovely and hasn't started cracking or anything! It looks awesome!

But this crap, don't listen to this guy. And just loosen your B8's up a bit, play them alot, unless you're recording, stick with what you got unless you have the money and really feel it's necessary.
 

goatatl

New member
I'm not sure that I'd concede that that is a load of crap, as I think larger crashes are more suited to heavy playing. (just my personal experience) It's also worth considering the WAY you're hitting them, as well as the angle. I find that they last a lot longer if I play more on the bow rather than the edge.
 

drummert2k

New member
heres the deal with cymbals and sizes.....

a very thin 20 inch crash may break more easily than a 16 inch heavy crash. the purpose of a bigger crash is about how you hit it. if you're a very hard hitter, then you can get a bigger crash. it takes a harder hit to produce the sound than a 14 inch crash does.

but a 16 inch thin crash will have a lower tone than a thicker larger crash.

so in conclusion, bigger crashes are good for hard hitters because they are meant to be hit hard to produce the full sound. if you're not a heavy hitter, you could use 14 and 16 inch thinner crashes that could have a lower tone than a 19 or 20 inch thicker crash.

i perfer to use a 19 inch crash ans a 20 inch ride. i also use both as crashes and both as rides so thats why i pick the bigger sizes. but unfortunetly, i do have to swing pretty hard to get a full crash out of them.
 

phoenix7289

New member
drummert2k":25lxtq10 said:
heres the deal with cymbals and sizes.....

a very thin 20 inch crash may break more easily than a 16 inch heavy crash. the purpose of a bigger crash is about how you hit it. if you're a very hard hitter, then you can get a bigger crash. it takes a harder hit to produce the sound than a 14 inch crash does.

but a 16 inch thin crash will have a lower tone than a thicker larger crash.

so in conclusion, bigger crashes are good for hard hitters because they are meant to be hit hard to produce the full sound. if you're not a heavy hitter, you could use 14 and 16 inch thinner crashes that could have a lower tone than a 19 or 20 inch thicker crash.

i perfer to use a 19 inch crash ans a 20 inch ride. i also use both as crashes and both as rides so thats why i pick the bigger sizes. but unfortunetly, i do have to swing pretty hard to get a full crash out of them.
That's for sure with crashing rides!!!
 

shiebcte

New member
Thanks alot guys. By the way, i meant cheap as in not really expensive, im not looking for real low end stuff. Right now im thinking of saving up for aa metal-x crashes. Ill check some out at guitar center and see how they sound. What do you guys think of them?
 

phoenix7289

New member
shiebcte":20yvkh3a said:
Thanks alot guys. By the way, i meant cheap as in not really expensive, im not looking for real low end stuff. Right now im thinking of saving up for aa metal-x crashes. Ill check some out at guitar center and see how they sound. What do you guys think of them?
They sound metal. :wink:
 
Top