changing top and bottom, and retuning toms

reefer

I'm not happy with the sound of my tom's lately and I'd like to re-skin them and try something new.
i've never changed bottom heads before, and have never really been great at tuning. What bottom/top head combo would you suggest for a good recording sound? (heavy blues-rock)
I've been using pinstripes forever. I'm currently using an old used Milestone kit i got recently with a 10" rack, and 16" and 18" floor toms. kick is 24x 20. This kit could sound great if do a decent job on it.

any help would be awesome.
Dan

zebra-powered rock'n'roll
www.themicronitefilters.com

Check out:
www.getbentrecords.com
For more great independent music you've never heard

Naomi McFadyen

Of course you're gonna get a million answers to your question as we all have our own personal preference...
I went from using Pinstripes, with stock head for the bottom, to Evans EC2s on top with Evans G1s on bottom.... and the kit has never sounded so good! :) I changed all my heads (toms, snare, BD) from Remo to Evans and the tranformation was superb!

As for tuning, just make sure the bottom is tighter than the top.... experiment to get the sound you're after though.... I find this is the only way to learn how to do it yourself.

Good luck!

SGarrett

dbkman":2bvnttoa said:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=_wHA0KUlM-U

This is a link to a video of mine, its my take and technique on tuning. try it out man. its the easiest ive come across.
One suggestion. Get to the point a lot faster. You're talking and twirling your stick too much.

Brother_Bong

dbkman":1ovoen0y said:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=_wHA0KUlM-U

This is a link to a video of mine, its my take and technique on tuning. try it out man. its the easiest ive come across.
Sorry, but I have to disagree with forgetting about the criss-cross pattern, it's too easy to get an uneven tension going around in a circle. Personal opinion, of course, other than that, some good points.

reefer

thanks for the info... i guess you just have to try stuff and see what you like.
Peace - Dan