Changing Snare Heads

uncoatedtitan

New member
Hey guys and gals,
Right now I'm using an Evans Genera Dry Batter Snare Head on my Tama Swingstar Snare. I'm looking to change heads, but I'm not quite sure what to switch to. Any suggestions? I'm thinking of switching to something that will help create a deeper sound..
 

skitch

New member
uncoatedtitan":25h2qtma said:
Hey guys and gals,
Right now I'm using an Evans Genera Dry Batter Snare Head on my Tama Swingstar Snare. I'm looking to change heads, but I'm not quite sure what to switch to. Any suggestions? I'm thinking of switching to something that will help create a deeper sound..
I don't know that changing heads will get you a deeper sound? Is there something you heard on a recording that made you want a deeper sound?
 

screamkevin

New member
uncoatedtitan":2ynpmpu6 said:
Hey guys and gals,
Right now I'm using an Evans Genera Dry Batter Snare Head on my Tama Swingstar Snare. I'm looking to change heads, but I'm not quite sure what to switch to. Any suggestions? I'm thinking of switching to something that will help create a deeper sound..
Try tuning the reso and batter heads lower. Changing a head won't really affect the pitch that much. Pitch is more affected by tuning, whereas sound is affected by head selection.

If your drum is a 5.5"X14", you won't get it sounding like a 9"x14", it's just not possible. You also may want to look at getting yourself into a deeper snare drum.
 
i use coated remo emperors.

i play a 13x7 and i can get a pretty fat sound out of it with those heads without it sounding too flabby...

but if you want a truly nice deep sound, you need to get a snare with a 7 inch depth or greater.
 

DreamT

New member
Hate to sound partial but I think just about anything would sound better than an Evans Genera dry, but to be honest I've never been able to find a single Evans head that sounded good to me on a snare.
 

Brazilian Drummer

New member
I sugjest you try a 2 ply snare head, coated emperor or an emperorX

the reso head will change the pitch od the drum, but a 2 ply head will also sound diferent from a 1ply
 

stump

New member
If you want a deeper tone then you might want to look at getting a snare with a wood shell. The metal snares that Tama produces have a higher pitch pop. I used a Tama snare with a wood shell for some recording and got a great low tone punch. More expensive than replacing heads but a great investment. Good luck!
 

ludwigdrummer29

New member
sarcasmsetyourhouseonfire":2kzolgdc said:
i use coated remo emperors.

i play a 13x7 and i can get a pretty fat sound out of it with those heads without it sounding too flabby...

but if you want a truly nice deep sound, you need to get a snare with a 7 inch depth or greater.
i use remo power stroke three(with the dot) on my 13x7 i love that drum its got a good "kick you in the balls" tone to it. im also gonna get a wmp tama 13x6.5 for my pearls.

back on topic try playing with tom batter heads...i used to have a 14x5.5. with an evans g2 on it and i could get it to sound realy deep.
 

Limited Access

New member
Brazilian Drummer":2zx2eu6u said:
I sugjest you try a 2 ply snare head, coated emperor or an emperorX

the reso head will change the pitch od the drum, but a 2 ply head will also sound diferent from a 1ply
I would have to agree with this guy, a 2 ply head always gives you a deeper tone. I used the remo pinstripe for years for its low tones and its durabilty, they last forever.... but now I use a remo emperer single ply so I can get the crisp snare sound.... Also a wood shell like soneone else mentioned would make a big differance... hope this helps.....
 

goatatl

New member
I have a 7x13 maple Tama, and I swear by the Aquarian Hi-Energy Batters. Best thing out there, for my $$
G
 
Top