Changing kits?

downshifter99

I have a Pearl ELX Select and I was going to get a Reference set but,I need to spend some bucks on my rat rod truck so,I'm not going to get the Pearl.

I'm looking at a Gretsch Renown Maple -or- African Mahogany kit...but,I'm torn as to what I should get(I've been a die-hard Pearl guy for the last 8 years).

What would some of you recommend for around $1500(10,12,14,16,22 mounted virgin shelled)?

Any help will be appreciated. :idea:

Howepirate

downshifter99":386c24n5 said:
I have a Pearl ELX Select and I was going to get a Reference set but,I need to spend some bucks on my rat rod truck so,I'm not going to get the Pearl.

I'm looking at a Gretsch Renown Maple -or- African Mahogany kit...but,I'm torn as to what I should get(I've been a die-hard Pearl guy for the last 8 years).

What would some of you recommend for around $1500(10,12,14,16,22 mounted virgin shelled)?

Any help will be appreciated. :idea:

Wit that dough...checkout indoorstorm.com they sell alotta the best sounding drums out there...its a pain in the butt to see the prices but if u click on the drumset your lookin at and look to the right you will see a price...you can also listen to the exact drumset your looking for..well most of them ne wayz...check it out...i'd recommend an RMV or a GMS set

lowdrummer

Dude i have the same problem!!! When I wanna spend money on drums I gotta spend money on my truck, I love them both!! But yea indoor storm has alot to choose from.

anavrinIV

at least you have money to spend....

imo, one of the best sounding kits ive heard recently is the pearl session custom birch set...blew away the dw maple next to it. the best part? the cost. i was only about 1350 for a 5 or 6 (i think 6 but it was a couple months ago) piece set with a gorgeous black/emerald lacquer finish.

as for me, im planning on getting a reference when i can afford it (although my truck is really begging for a supercharger and some new wheels)...but that will be a while since im headed to college in august. i love the reference drums more than i think anything ive ever heard.

Sway

I dont know to much about pearl but Mapex has really good stuff i have one and its great. Its birch though. It will be cheaper to so you can get some extras for your kit. If you have extra stuff already you should just try to get a custom like 4 or 5 piece. I played a 7 piece and took it down to one rack tom and 2 floors and it feels suprisingly good. I would get a custom kit so i can get EXACTLY what i want.

andybfrank

I own the Gretsch Renown Maple and I'm telling you, you can't beat it for the price. I compared it in the store to a Reference, Yamaha Maple Birch Custom, and a DW with roughly the same size bass drum and heads, and the Gretsch bass drum was by far the best. The rest was just as good. I was actually looking to spend more and get a Yamaha, but I really liked the Gretsch a lot better.