Chain Drive VS. Strap Drive Double Pedals

ProtestTheHero88

I can't decide which is better for me. Im relatively comfortable with chain drive, but people have told me that nylon strap driven pedals feel smoother and enable you to go faster and keep more constant 16ths an 32nds. It makes sense to me, but i wanted to get some second opinions. What do you guys think?

Airborne Ranger

I used the nylon strap on my DW 9000 pedal. I didn't think it was any faster than the chain linkage. I did however feel that it was a smoother action than the chain. You will also hear stories about the nylon strap stretching over time or even breaking, I 've never experienced either of those issues. I like the feel of the nylon linkage but it will NOT increase your speed.

dwtoast72

Airborne Ranger":1v7470sa said:
I used the nylon strap on my DW 9000 pedal. I didn't think it was any faster than the chain linkage. I did however feel that it was a smoother action than the chain. You will also hear stories about the nylon strap stretching over time or even breaking, I 've never experienced either of those issues. I like the feel of the nylon linkage but it will NOT increase your speed.
agreed...
and it's NOT gonna break unless you maybe slash it and not know it going back and fowrth from shows and stuff

likelight2flies

I'm actually wondering about the same thing. Right now I play the Iron Cobra Flexiglide double pedal but I'm thinking of getting a DW 7000 double pedal pending on how it feels and how long the sale is =P.

dwtoast72

likelight2flies":1q2ju3mh said:
I'm actually wondering about the same thing. Right now I play the Iron Cobra Flexiglide double pedal but I'm thinking of getting a DW 7000 double pedal pending on how it feels and how long the sale is =P.
I think you'll be happier with the cobras....personal experience...

Airborne Ranger

I agree, the Iron Cobra has a few nice features that the DW doesn't. I think the feel will be very similar though, try it out at the store before committing to it. I would stick with the Tama though.

drumur

I bought the Pearl Power Shifter Eliminator with a chain and ordered the belt so I have the option of changing it. I think it was only $15

keith bushey

:wink: I have to agree with the Pirate. Iv'e played both chain and strap of various brands, and absolutely love my Axis direct drive Long Boards! A direct link bettween your foot and the beater gives you control you have to experiance for yourself. Myself...I play bare foot (or with socks on), and NEVER play wearing any form of shoe. Put on a pair of leather workers gloves and play your kit...sucks does'nt it! So does wearing shoes! If you play heal-toe as I do, putting something in bettween your feet and the pedal is as bad as a pedal not directly linked to the beater! Would you want something bettween your fingers and the sticks, probably not.
Just my opinion on pedals...

xdoseonex

dwtoast72":dxj0xp8c said:
likelight2flies":dxj0xp8c said:
i'd pick the cobras over 7000's but id take 5000's or 9000's over cobras any day

xdoseonex

keith bushey":bfxvhfai said:
:wink: I have to agree with the Pirate. Iv'e played both chain and strap of various brands, and absolutely love my Axis direct drive Long Boards! A direct link bettween your foot and the beater gives you control you have to experiance for yourself. Myself...I play bare foot (or with socks on), and NEVER play wearing any form of shoe. Put on a pair of leather workers gloves and play your kit...sucks does'nt it! So does wearing shoes! If you play heal-toe as I do, putting something in bettween your feet and the pedal is as bad as a pedal not directly linked to the beater! Would you want something bettween your fingers and the sticks, probably not.
i pretty much share your oppinion word for word

Empyrean Drums

I really think the longer footboard makes more of a difference then the direct drive. I'm still waiting for Tama and Pearl to step up to the plate and make a longboard Iron Cobra/Powershifter

I also wear shoes. I like having a straight platform to contact the pedal.

Motley Tshirts

keith bushey":1xy3jupa said:

I have to play with shoes it bruises the hell out of the balls of my feet. Am I a wuss? Does your feet build up tolerance? I know I always read that Neil Peart wears dance slippers or something, he likes as little as possible on his feet, I get it, I like lightweight shoes for sure.

dbkman

SHOGUNWARRIOR32":170twcbv said:
straps on my dragons all the way. haven't broke one yet. much smother that chain.
amen brother. straps on the dragons. nothing to clean as far as chains. no breaking. its all good.

peripsy

dwtoast72":2e580bc1 said:
likelight2flies":2e580bc1 said:
100% probably one of the top 3 choices.