Chad Smith or Jose Pasillas?

Eiren

Both of them are in bands that can't write decent music anymore (not for a long time)... so I would say they are both losers :wink:

Good solid drummers though.

chris_stuff_er

Eiren":3j183d3y said:
Both of them are in bands that can't write decent music anymore (not for a long time)... so I would say they are both losers :wink:

Good solid drummers though.

I agree. For me, though, S.C.I.E.N.C.E. was way cooler than anything I had heard from RHCP at that time...so by default, my vote goes to el Jose.

break the prism

yeah, S.C.I.E.N.C.E is amazing, considering Jose didn't even really start playing drums until he joined Incubus.
but Chad has some great chops. it's been as while since i've heard some really good stuff from either of them though.

Hikikomori

chad smith, i wish he played the old stuff, his new stuff is kinda standard, youtube him w/ flea and some japanese tutorial, he plays crazy funk hi hat, and his footwork is insane!!!!

drummert2k

Jose- good energy, can play technical when the music calls for it.

Chad- amazing time, great feel, deep groove, but from a technical standpoint, not up to jose.

all in all, heres my conclusion....

jose wins the technical standpoint

chad wins the feel standpoint.

feel to me is more important than being technical. but its nice to have the technical side of drumming down to incase you're ever in a situation to use it.

I'm going to have to go with Jose just because I often play along with S.C.I.E.N.C.E. and Make Yourself when I'm just practicing by myself. He comes up with a lot of cool things.

funkengrooven

If I had to choose - it would be Chad. He's got longevity on his side, and has a great feel that you can't go past. The parts he creates for each song fit perfectly and carry the song. Blood Sugar Sex Magik is still on a regular rotation throught my CD player after nearly 15 years.

Bluestonered

Chad Smith - Mainly because his been a major influence since I started playing, he is fun to watch.....and Ive stolen many chops from him. Also because he did a clinic with my favourite old school rock drummer Ian Paice. Seeing them both jam together was gold for me!

bandet_00

There is no way these two drummers can be compared. Chad's good but for most or almost all RHCP songs they are simple beets or else usually the same beat. Jose has way better technique and skill by far! Throw on a RHCP cd and you can play to it on drums the first time you hear it, throw on an incubus cd fungus through light gernades, and you'll have to listen to it atleast a 2-3 times to pick up the changes. Will Ferrell could sit in on one of the RHCP shows and you wouldn't even know the difference;). P-eAcE!!.!

drmrdude04

i'm gonna have to say jose pasillas. chad is good and at one point was an influence to me. but he stopped doing new things about 10 years ago. and that goes for RHCP all together. even on the new incubus cd jose is doing new things and i dont think people realize just how good his chops really are.

johnmc2k

bandet_00":eo40g3sn said:
Will Ferrell could sit in on one of the RHCP shows and you wouldn't even know the difference;). P-eAcE!!.!
hell no, Chad could play a simple 4/4 beat, and you still know he is an excellent drummer...it goes for any drummer.

Also, people here are saying Jose creates great drum paterns etc.....check his bio on www.drummerworld.com (great website), and he states that he steals stuff from all his favourate drummers. (still an excellent drummer though)

Anyway Chad wins for me, amazing timing, such a hard hitter and even on studio recordings you can feel the amount of heart put in.