cause for a domestic disturbence

cableman26

so my girlfriend sits down at my kit goofing around, and then she just starts casualy stabbing my snare with a stick!!! hard!!aaaahhhh!!! oh then asks "what's the big deal?" I haven't even had it a week yet.

SGarrett

She's just a chick, dude. Teach her instead of yelling at her. My wife's mother used to turn all of the tuning pegs on her husbands guitar so they matched because she was just positive he had them all messed up just to joke around with her. She didn't stop until he explained how tuning a guitar with the keys works. So, explain how much heads cost and that dents make a buzzing sound. A word of warning, do this with respect or not at all.

xdoseonex

SGarrett":18vdcm51 said:
She's just a chick, dude. Teach her instead of yelling at her. My wife's mother used to turn all of the tuning pegs on her husbands guitar so they matched because she was just positive he had them all messed up just to joke around with her. She didn't stop until he explained how tuning a guitar with the keys works. So, explain how much heads cost and that dents make a buzzing sound. A word of warning, do this with respect or not at all.
she did that because shes doesnt play drums or know anything about them. not because shes a chick. your tottally gonna offend all 2 of the female drummers on this forum

SGarrett

xdoseonex":sandvaax said:
SGarrett":sandvaax said:
she did that because shes doesnt play drums or know anything about them. not because shes a chick. your tottally gonna offend all 2 of the female drummers on this forum
Hahaha. Welcome to the business. :D

edit:
By the way, if you see that as an insult you're reading it incorrectly. :)

xdoseonex

well you said shes just a chick. implying that chicks dont know any better. non drummers dont know any better. chicks are perfeclt capable. Not that i dont know what your saying

dave lynch

I had a girlfriend get mad at me a party I was playing at because she told me all I care about is my drums..She even got to hitting me and stuff.I have noticed in life that a high percentage of women ( NOT ALL WOMEN ) get mad when you don't pay enough attention to them..They can get mad that their boyfriend had sex with another woman, but not cuz he had the sex with someone else but that he was with and paying attention to someone else..Us dudes ( NOT ALL DUDES ) don't seem to mind to much that our girlfriend is paying attention to someone else, but if she has sex with someone else..Lord Have Mercy..LOL In my opinion just pay attention to her and include her into your scene...oh and don't forget that you'll need to watch a chick flick here and there..Personaly it's a trade off..Women and men are different when it comes to those things..it's just nature..Oh by the way keep her away from your kit until she knows how to respect it..Haha

SGarrett

xdoseonex":2btma7nh said:
well you said shes just a chick. implying that chicks dont know any better. non drummers dont know any better. chicks are perfeclt capable. Not that i dont know what your saying
Mountain, mole hill. Yadda, yadda, yadda.

Again, if you take that as an insult you're reading it wrong. I'm not saying "she's just a chick". I'm saying the same thing as, "yeah, that's just Dave". That doesn't imply anything other than Dave is just Dave. I thought the little story explained what I meant quite well. What if it had been a ten year old and I'd said "He's just a kid...". Would that imply that all children are incapable? Only to the person looking for an insult. Children are more than capable of playing musical instruments and I started playing drums at 11. However, children tend to not really take things seriously. Women, who are also more than capable of playing musical instruments, tend to not take their significant other's hobbies very seriously...especially when it comes to playing music. I worked in a drum shop long enough to be very secure in that opinion. If you see "she's just a chick" as an insult you're just looking for a reason to be offended and quite frankly, I couldn't give two flying fucks at a rolling doughnut if you insist on being offended after I've explained myself. Not saying you, more the generic sense of the word.

dave lynch

SGarrett":nhclgab6 said:
xdoseonex":nhclgab6 said:
Mountain, mole hill. Yadda, yadda, yadda.

Again, if you take that as an insult you're reading it wrong. I'm not saying "she's just a chick". I'm saying the same thing as, "yeah, that's just Dave". That doesn't imply anything other than Dave is just Dave. I thought the little story explained what I meant quite well. What if it had been a ten year old and I'd said "He's just a kid...". Would that imply that all children are incapable? Only to the person looking for an insult. Children are more than capable of playing musical instruments and I started playing drums at 11. However, children tend to not really take things seriously. Women, who are also more than capable of playing musical instruments, tend to not take their significant other's hobbies very seriously...especially when it comes to playing music. I worked in a drum shop long enough to be very secure in that opinion. If you see "she's just a chick" as an insult you're just looking for a reason to be offended and quite frankly, I couldn't give two flying fucks at a rolling doughnut if you insist on being offended after I've explained myself. Not saying you, more the generic sense of the word.
Haha..hey who brought me into this..LOL..Yeah folks do need to calm down a tad on this gettin offended so easy..we're all adults and let's just have fun and enjoy life..Yahooo !!

BillRayDrums

Timekeep69":10cmkm7v said:
Women + music career = oil + water.
No. Not true at all. My ex used to work with the band. She was wardrobe manager. It was all great. Then we had our kid. That changed everything. The innate urge to "nest" became prevalent and as she had followed me for all of our relationship wherever I went, now she expected me to follow her to one place and do the whole Utopian fantasy....2.5 kids, nice house, yard, etc. Sorry....uh, it just doesn't WORK that way. However, I am so glad we had our kid. I hold no regrets at all regarding my kid. Any one of you parents know that it's actually hard to remember life "BK" (before kid).

Strip out all reference to drumming. We are "salesmen"....for lack of a generic term. We meet with clients (rehearsals), attend sales meetings (gigs), and travel. Sometimes we are out for 2 months at a time, sometimes 6 months, sometimes a week. And in our time out, we try and be as productive as possible in a seemingly non-productive environment (ever try to type on a keyboard when the van is moving at 75mph? It's not easy. And we get anywhere from 30 minutes to 5 hours to "make the sale" to the people. And pre-preperation to said sale is essential, too. Passing out flyers, calling, emailing, record store appearances, radio, etc. It's all part of making the sale on that night.

So yeah, we are merely salespeople in the big shopping center of groove. And sometimes business sucks, sometimes it's booming.

((Well that ended up completely on the other side of the yard........))

dave lynch

BillRayDrums":3fqcscln said:
Timekeep69":3fqcscln said:
No. Not true at all. My ex used to work with the band. She was wardrobe manager. It was all great. Then we had our kid. That changed everything. The innate urge to "nest" became prevalent and as she had followed me for all of our relationship wherever I went, now she expected me to follow her to one place and do the whole Utopian fantasy....2.5 kids, nice house, yard, etc. Sorry....uh, it just doesn't WORK that way. However, I am so glad we had our kid. I hold no regrets at all regarding my kid. Any one of you parents know that it's actually hard to remember life "BK" (before kid).

Strip out all reference to drumming. We are "salesmen"....for lack of a generic term. We meet with clients (rehearsals), attend sales meetings (gigs), and travel. Sometimes we are out for 2 months at a time, sometimes 6 months, sometimes a week. And in our time out, we try and be as productive as possible in a seemingly non-productive environment (ever try to type on a keyboard when the van is moving at 75mph? It's not easy. And we get anywhere from 30 minutes to 5 hours to "make the sale" to the people. And pre-preperation to said sale is essential, too. Passing out flyers, calling, emailing, record store appearances, radio, etc. It's all part of making the sale on that night.

So yeah, we are merely salespeople in the big shopping center of groove. And sometimes business sucks, sometimes it's booming.
You crack me up Billy..haha..You disagre with the oil and water thing but then you begin your reply with " No. Not true at all. My ex " U said MY EX..LOL

BillRayDrums

dave lynch":14gczesc said:
BillRayDrums":14gczesc said:
Timekeep69":14gczesc said:

You crack me up Billy..haha..You disagre with the oil and water thing but then you begin your reply with " No. Not true at all. My ex " U said MY EX..LOL
Yeah That was kind of a contradiction huh.....

LeJayk

I've never seen music that way before, but your absolutely right. It's a bit of a bummer to think of what we do as what it actually is. A business :(

But then I think "Fuck it, business or not, its a pretty sweet ass job/hobby/lifestyle :D"

BillRayDrums

LeJayk":f0c10guu said:
I've never seen music that way before, but your absolutely right. It's a bit of a bummer to think of what we do as what it actually is. A business :(

But then I think "Fuck it, business or not, its a pretty sweet ass job/hobby/lifestyle :D"
Yeah I somehow can't NOT do this, when I've every reason to move into something more lucrative.

I am taking some time off the road and when my son is a little older, will be out doing some sort of clinic tours or something highly creative. I feel another drum book coming on so I think that will be something to consider. In the meantime, local work in various bands keeps me very busy!!