Carpets/Rugs

Drumming_Animal

Does anyone know any plain design large-ish carpets or rugs to use for drums?

If yea then where can i get one and how much will it set me back roughly??

Cheers

dunkerton12

You can find all sorts of things to use.

I have two things I have used in the past:

1. Try to buy those 2 ft. by 2ft. foam puzzle pieces. They can be purchased at Sam's, Dick's, or Home Depot (probably other places too.) This is great because they pack up nicely in a 2 by 2 square for transport, but you can make your drum floor as large or small as you need and you can customize it.

2. You can buy an area rug pretty reasonably. I found one that compliments my kit's color at Home Depot for $15. Not great quality, but it works and protects floors if needed.

3. A piece of carpet remnant (or two pieces) can be a cheap way to get a floor for your drums. Often people are looking to get rid of the extra carpet so you might be able to get it free. Check carpet stores and just ask if they have any remnants they are throwing out. Or if you know someone getting carpet you might be able to get a suitable piece from that.

Hope this helps.

SGarrett

I got a 6'x8' rug at Lowe's for $40 (if I'm remembering correctly). It's not really giggable but it works well for the house. I've been using a ProMark rug for gigging but I'm not overly happy with it because my kick can still slide.

m

I've got 2 rugs I use for gigging;

Kaces 5'x4' Crashpad, $40
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ ... sku=549476

yeah, people whine about paying $40 for a rug, but it's the only rug that covers all possible scenarios, in my book.
The built in bass drum barrier is the ONLY way I know of to keep your bass from sliding. The carpet is a little lightweight and occasionally wrinkles under your kit, but you bass won't move. That's worth the extra $ to me.
I mean, why else do you have a rug, yah?

I've also used a 6'x4' entryway mat from Lowes (hardware store). It's heavier, and always lays flat. The ridged surface is pretty good for keeping things in place and it cost under $20, but it let me down on my last gig and did not keep the bass from sliding away from me. My pedal stayed put (velcro) but the bass slipped out of the hoop clamp. I'd hoped that everyone's bragging about these 'welcome mat'- style rugs was going to pay off, but I find it can't guarantee you that your bass won't move.
There are precautions you can take, but anything can go wrong on a gig. The Kaces rug is the only thing I've used so far that won't let your bass move no matter what happens.

Alexander

m":3pumu36k said:
I've got 2 rugs I use for gigging;

Kaces 5'x4' Crashpad, $40
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ ... sku=549476

yeah, people whine about paying $40 for a rug, but it's the only rug that covers all possible scenarios, in my book.
The built in bass drum barrier is the ONLY way I know of to keep your bass from sliding. The carpet is a little lightweight and occasionally wrinkles under your kit, but you bass won't move. That's worth the extra $ to me.
I mean, why else do you have a rug, yah?

I've also used a 6'x4' entryway mat from Lowes (hardware store). It's heavier, and always lays flat. The ridged surface is pretty good for keeping things in place and it cost under $20, but it let me down on my last gig and did not keep the bass from sliding away from me. My pedal stayed put (velcro) but the bass slipped out of the hoop clamp. I'd hoped that everyone's bragging about these 'welcome mat'- style rugs was going to pay off, but I find it can't guarantee you that your bass won't move.
There are precautions you can take, but anything can go wrong on a gig. The Kaces rug is the only thing I've used so far that won't let your bass move no matter what happens.

I totally Concur with Mr. "m". $40 gives you a lightweight yet tough, compact, aesthetic, reliable, rug w/weighted corners, a carrying bag, & the perfect 5'x4' dimensions. Get a Drummer's Crash Pad fo yosilf & see! :idea:

Rockula!

I currently use the rubber mats with a checkered texture
The point about the bass drum stopping block is a valid one
However, it only works if you keep things the same way
You can always bolt a piece of wood through the carpet

m

The only problem I've had with the Crash Pad is that I don't orient my bass drum as the 'center' of my kit, so I have to angle the rug to match the bass drum angle. There's usually a bit hanging off the riser bcz of that, but I don't really mind as the barrier block makes it all worth it to me.

dbkman

i have a thin, really tough rug. sometimes the kind of carpet found on patios. its VERY rough stuff. so it doesnt rip. its like 6x8 foot. i love it, and have had it for about 2 years. no problems. home depot or lowes would have them.

Brother_Bong

My kit would never fit on to a 5x4 rug (I know not every piece has to be on the rug, but I like it), so I have an 8x10 household Berber carpet rem. Fantastic, nothing moves. As far as the bass drum walking or sliding, what about your spurs? Sometimes also a cement brick in front of the bass works, and cuz it's grey, you really don't notice it.

GeorgeDemise

Do you not have protection racket in America? They do soft cases and they do a rug, really hard wearing rubber bottom with that tuff fuzzy stuff (dunno what it's called) but velcro sticks to it amazingly. They are pretty much perfect.

m

Bong":2on4inxz said:
As far as the bass drum walking or sliding, what about your spurs?
I've actually had a spur fail on me at a gig. Played a whole set with only one leg on the bass, but it didn't move at all because of the Crash pad block.
I think the built in barrier on that rug is the safest way to go.

I've stuck cinder blocks or railroad ties in front of the bass back in my teenage punkrock days, but I sure wouldn't wanna haul something that heavy these days.

AmnestysLowEnd

m":44q3rijs said:
Bong":44q3rijs said:
As far as the bass drum walking or sliding, what about your spurs?
I've actually had a spur fail on me at a gig. Played a whole set with only one leg on the bass, but it didn't move at all because of the Crash pad block.
I think the built in barrier on that rug is the safest way to go.

I've stuck cinder blocks or railroad ties in front of the bass back in my teenage punkrock days, but I sure wouldn't wanna haul something that heavy these days.
On my frist set I had to put a 25 pound weight on each spur!! That was a horrible kit!!!

dunkerton12

Personally, I've never had an issue with my spurs. Maybe it's not "correct," but my spurs are adjusted such that my bass drum does not touch the floor at all. It is completely resting on the spurs and my pedal. I have never had it move even a fraction of an inch when it's on my rug or my foam mat. (But what do I know...?)

xdoseonex

dunkerton12":36ils04u said:
Personally, I've never had an issue with my spurs. Maybe it's not "correct," but my spurs are adjusted such that my bass drum does not touch the floor at all. It is completely resting on the spurs and my pedal. I have never had it move even a fraction of an inch when it's on my rug or my foam mat. (But what do I know...?)
most ppl have the bass drums like that

SGarrett

dunkerton12":27x8hhxf said:
I probably play harder than you because my kick walks all over the place on my foam mat and if I put the spurs out the mat will rip. Carpet's a different story, but I only use the mat for hard and spur-unfriendly surfaces. I even made a good sized rip in a wrestling mat once. Thank goodness it was a house party and everyone was smashed or I might have gotten in trouble for it. :D

(note: I don't bash, I just play hard.)

Drumming_Animal

dunkerton12":3nr7fvzy said:
yea i do exactly the same, with the spurs facing slightly forward to stop forward movement, with the spkies out, whatever surface i play on it dont budge, but my floor tom is the main one i want to stop from moving around, it moves a lot

dunkerton12

SGarrett":1civvm9i said:
dunkerton12":1civvm9i said:
I probably play harder than you because my kick walks all over the place on my foam mat and if I put the spurs out the mat will rip. Carpet's a different story, but I only use the mat for hard and spur-unfriendly surfaces. I even made a good sized rip in a wrestling mat once. Thank goodness it was a house party and everyone was smashed or I might have gotten in trouble for it. :D

(note: I don't bash, I just play hard.)
LOL, no bashing from me! I would like to play harder than I do on some gigs (rock gigs) but it seems that I have no bass drum technique... :oops: (In reality, my legs are short and so my leverage is at a minimum...but I do the best I can. :) ).