Can't Tune My Way Out Of A Paper Bag..

NoDrumsForYou

So i sometimes feel that i REALLY am tone def at times. most of the time i can tell when someone is off or not, but i've got such a BAD ear for these things..

one of the biggest things is i can never really get my snare to sound DECENT on it's own. i have to use an O-RING and i don't kno what to do. blah :(

FYI, i've got a Tama Artwood Custom Maple 5.5" x 14" Snare Drum and Tama Rockstar Custom EFX 5-Piece drum set.

Evans Power Center Reverse Dot head for the snare and Aquarian Proformance II's for the toms. Aquarian Super Kick II for the bass.

NoDrumsForYou

i forgot to mention that none of those songs are me on MY set, those were all studio kits.

this now puts me back to where i initially was.. with a terrible ear and unable to tune well.. lol.. HELP!?

SGarrett

NoDrumsForYou":1zheudw5 said:
i actually have a tension watch.. never got to into it tho..
Tuning's like anything else on drums, you have to practice to get good at it. Search Google for the Drum Tuning Bible.

racefan33

NoDrumsForYou":1h6uthsa said:
So basically you are up SH** creek and you have a paddle but choose not to use it?

Brilliant.

"First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you have to.
- Epictetus

NoDrumsForYou

nonononononono

i mean, i think what my real problem is not that i don't kno what i'm doing.. it's just that.. i can't HEAR pitches.. anyone else have this problem?? like i will go around the head i'm tuning, tap an inch or so in front of the lug and compair the pitch to other lugs say across from it or next to it.. i just have a hard time with pitch..

i dunno, tuning is such a bummer for me :(

racefan33

That's what the Tension Watch is for.

Put the head on. Tighten it up to seat it. Losen it up. Pick a tension, the TW should have come with some basic tension settings. Put the TW at it's spot on each lug to make the head in tune with itself. Then you can, using the TW to maintain even tension, bring the tension up or down to your liking.

Assback

I feel your pain man. I can't tune at all. Like, I mean AT ALL. I get so frustrated tuning. I've been meaning to look into that fancy tuning thing everyone's talking about

FelterSkelter

SGarrett":nlorpwej said:
NoDrumsForYou":nlorpwej said:
Tuning's like anything else on drums, you have to practice to get good at it. Search Google for the Drum Tuning Bible.
I second that. The Drum Tuning Bible is a plethora of knowledge about not only drums but sound. Totally worth reading....and I hate reading anything.

JAdrums2k

Snares are tricky..... each drum has it's own tone and pitch but snares get choked a lot.

Try using an Aquarian Studio X coated head on the snare if you like what the o ring does for it... it'll dampen that pinging overtone without over dampening..

Start from scratch when tuning with a single turn of the key on each lug (bottom & top heads the same...important)
Keep tuning up until you find the point where your drum is choked... you'll hear the difference.

Having to mute the snare is not always a bad thing... I tune mine very high & I just add a small strip of duct tape to the edge of the head and it does the job.

Aquarian also makes a great head "hi-energy" it's called and it has the oring and the power dot in it with a fiber textured coating... it's a great head if you can find it

NoDrumsForYou

i have a Tama Artwood Custom Maple 5.5" x 14" Snare and i've been told that the Evans Power Center Reverse Dot head is supposed to be really nice for it. it's like the standard head that comes with it and was recommended. i havn't been too impressed and have been looking into what i should goto next.

also what kind of bottom snare head do you recommend?

SGarrett

NoDrumsForYou":1gr1jkov said:
i have a Tama Artwood Custom Maple 5.5" x 14" Snare and i've been told that the Evans Power Center Reverse Dot head is supposed to be really nice for it. it's like the standard head that comes with it and was recommended. i havn't been too impressed and have been looking into what i should goto next.

also what kind of bottom snare head do you recommend?
What don't you like about the sound?

You could also do the tried and true Ambassador batter and snare side heads. I use an Aquarian Classic Coated batter and a Hi-Performance snare side head.

markmywords

I agree with the other guy, Drum Tuning Bible, and DVD's like bob gatzen and jeff ocheltree, they helped me a ton, and just do it a lot. Listen to other drummers in other bands, talk to them, ask to play they're gear a bit, check it out, see how tight they have it. Snares are odd, you have to really crank them down and then once you do it's about getting that ring to cancel itself out, and actually a little ring is great, i never use mutes or rings, your drums will sound so amazing once you find that spot. I always have the snare side a little tighter but if you want to you can get a tuner and tune the heads to tones. ones that work for me are G-A# area for snare side and E-F area for batter side. I like the power center dot, but also try the genera and genera dry or st dry for a great snare sound as well. My problem when I started out was that I tuned my snare way too loose you really gotta crank it.

PM or AIM me if you have questions man, I know what it's like to stink at tuning. Another great way to train that ear is music theory classes and playing the piano or guitar(I play both). The more instruments you know the more musically you can relate things to each other and understand the rela tionships they have.

AIM - Freeborn1415

Rob Crisp

Amen for the bible guys! Seriously, best advice ever and then when you know what you're doing, the more you do it, the easier it becomes!