Buying New Kit..Need Suggestions

ClintKelly

Hi, for my bday/graduation il be receiveing alot of cash, and id like to use that money to upgrade to a new drumset. I have a few ideas. I would like to stick with Gretsch or Mapex. Id like to keep my budget under 1000. I have made my decision to two options. Getting a solid 5 piece, and buying an Eliminator for 250. I don't think i could handle not buying a new double bass pedal to go with a new drumset. OR, i could get a 6 or 7 piece set, and stick with the stock single or double pedal. Im having troubles making this decision. My price-range is maximum $1000. Here are my ideas so far.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/document ... 71&index=0
*With Elim Double Pedal*

OR

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/document ... 98&index=0
With Stock Single Bass Pedals

Any Suggestions??? Thx

you should buy the Gretsch kit and instead of the Eliminators, get the Iron Cobra Jr, they are just as good. Then you could use the rest of the money to buy some new heads if you have enough left.

This kit is my future kit in like 2 years

ClintKelly

ive tried the iron cobra jr on an electronic drumset and it was alright. Thats a good suggestion. I like your future kit there im thinkin down the road il get another floor tom to addon. I forgot to mention anything about cymbals+stands, i already have them i got a set of Sabian AA-Metal X's

drumbeast420

I agree. Stick with Grestch. Even their lower end catalina series blows the other guys away. I have a DW 4000 series Double pedal and it is great for the money. Have fun man! Any time you get a new kit it feels great!

Pnkdrmmr

The Gretsch and Pacific entry level kits are very good.

I dont know a whole lot about the Gretsch kits, just that they sound sweet, but i know that the Pacific kits, with the exception of the EZ kit are all Maple. You can't find a drumset made of all Maple unless you go Pro usually. So for around $800 i think you can get a good Pacific MX kit which is a Satin finish(also impossible to find at that level) made of all Maple.

Rock on DW Jr.

Most drum companies have pretty sweet pedals.

i wasn't that happy with the Tama Iron Cobra Jr back in the day, so i had to upgrade to the Sr version. The DW 4000 pedals are good, the Pearl eliminator is sweet(and i hate Pearl), and most of the Pacific pedals are pretty nice.

If i had to choose something to start with again, i'd probably go Pacific again. I used one of the kits for 6 years, even toured with it and it always came through well. And now they make them even better than before.

Sway

Ok i have a mapex and unless your going to get a really high end Mapex dont get one if your a hard hitter. The toms go out of tune really quick. And second you never EVER buy anything at guitar center full price. I have a friend who knows the guitar center manager where i live and they buy stuff for the church and they guy told him they mark everything u plike 30 to 40 percent. So if your buying a kit for full price you either get them to drop the price or you can get them to throw in stuff for free. Normally they cant just give you a snare or anything like that for free but heads and hardware they can. If they can give you the double bass for free they better take a huge freakin discount off of it. I never buy anything without getting somthing for free or them dropping the price.
And if your going to get a double bass get what you like but i really happen to like the pearl eliminatos Dw 9000 and Iron Cobras.

Howepirate

You should not be so parsimony and spend a bit more...you might find things sound better....am i an idiot or is it selfish to indulge in buying things of great quality.... :x

mattkinel

no Howepirate i totally agree. I got bit by the vintage bug a little while ago and now I wont buy anything unless its top end vintage. I have restored and sold a few kits to afford my habbit. I got a 40's Slingerland Radio King 24, 14, 16 in WMP mint condition for $400 and sold it for $2200 and thats how I afforded my vintage stainless steel bonham kit. Ive been working hard and just saved up $425 and got a vintage 29" timpani.

If you work, save, and wait for sales you can get the drumset of your dreams. Even somthing pricy like a DW goes on sale. If DW has finshes in overstock, they can cut you a deal.

Just remember to NEVER EVER buy a drumset at musicansfriend or guitar center. Always go to a small local shop that specializes in drums. Im spoiled and have Jacks Drum Shop 20 min away from my house in downtown Boston. There the oldest drum store in the US and everyone there knows there stuff, and they refuse to sell shitty drums to a player that deserves better than a beginners set. Guitar center just wants to sell sell sell SELL. They'll sell anything to anyone and make a horrible deal sound irresistable when they get behind that coumputer, press a few buttons and pretend to be your best friend, therefore lowering the price for you. A REAL drum store will only sell the drum for that reduced price without bullshitting you with there magical "drum discounting coumputer".

ClintKelly

wow thanks alot for all the suggestions, il have to check out some local drum shops and see what i can do. If i find nothing there il have to talk the guy at guitar center down and get a discount of somesort, free drumheads would be a bonus seeing as how any new drum set usually comes automatic with purchasing new heads

Howepirate

mattkinel":u835cxl6 said:
no Howepirate i totally agree. I got bit by the vintage bug a little while ago and now I wont buy anything unless its top end vintage. I have restored and sold a few kits to afford my habbit. I got a 40's Slingerland Radio King 24, 14, 16 in WMP mint condition for $400 and sold it for $2200 and thats how I afforded my vintage stainless steel bonham kit. Ive been working hard and just saved up $425 and got a vintage 29" timpani.

If you work, save, and wait for sales you can get the drumset of your dreams. Even somthing pricy like a DW goes on sale. If DW has finshes in overstock, they can cut you a deal.

Just remember to NEVER EVER buy a drumset at musicansfriend or guitar center. Always go to a small local shop that specializes in drums. Im spoiled and have Jacks Drum Shop 20 min away from my house in downtown Boston. There the oldest drum store in the US and everyone there knows there stuff, and they refuse to sell shitty drums to a player that deserves better than a beginners set. Guitar center just wants to sell sell sell SELL. They'll sell anything to anyone and make a horrible deal sound irresistable when they get behind that coumputer, press a few buttons and pretend to be your best friend, therefore lowering the price for you. A REAL drum store will only sell the drum for that reduced price without bullshitting you with there magical "drum discounting coumputer".

Thank you very much!

AK-Drummer

mattkinel":15zflfcb said:

ok question.....im in alaska....we DONT HAVE any drum shops....save for 1 and that place is just......way beyong exspensive.....so musiciansfriend and guitar center is the only place i can get anything. what do i do?

Piddywiffle

I'de roll that Gretch. Not only does it look clean as all hell, it looks professional too. Besides, you can always add a second bass drum too it. Mounted toms are always a plus. Hell, I'll take everything mounted on a kit. It's so much more personable and soooo easy to adjust to your needs as a drummer. I cant wait to get my hands on my Taye set. *titters with excitement*

dougthedrummer

AK-Drummer":23fo5rtv said:
mattkinel":23fo5rtv said:

ok question.....im in alaska....we DONT HAVE any drum shops....save for 1 and that place is just......way beyong exspensive.....so musiciansfriend and guitar center is the only place i can get anything. what do i do?
I found a place online thats even a little cheaper than musicians,and GC.Its called brasswinds,and woodwinds.They specialize in high school band stuff,but they alos carry other stuff too.Since they make most of their money off band stuff they discount big time on rest of stuff.I got a 5 piece pearl ELX with hardware, throne,double pedal for under 800 with shipping.This is a real nice starter Kit for the money,andsounds great with some EVANS heads I put on them.check them out at
www.wwbw.com

redrumba

drumbeast420":3p8pd18f said:
I agree. Stick with Grestch. Even their lower end catalina series blows the other guys away. I have a DW 4000 series Double pedal and it is great for the money. Have fun man! Any time you get a new kit it feels great!
i've got the gretsch catalina bebop kit... and overall, it has served me well... i've played it for 2+ years... but i have never been satisfied with the snare sound... this is a mahogany kit (not birch or maple).. does anyone have any suggestions on what i can do to get a decent sound out of this snare... i've tried only remo ambassador and emporer heads on the drum.. i'm playing jazz mainly and then some rock and funk... i do want a more open sound, though this drum seems to get really pingy had has a bit too much of that for my taste...i've tried tuning it lower and higher on both the batter and resonant side... these days i play with an additional taye studiomaster snare i picked up which sounds fantastic... though i would like to be able to play with my gretsch snare... i know it is a lower end kit, so maybe it's just that i'm getting what i paid for.. but wanted to hear if anyone else had an opinion on this... any input is greatly appreciated! thx

Laz

AK-Drummer":1wo5564v said:
Check out the Ma and Pa type stores. http://www.grandmas.com is where I got a kit when I lived in Albuquerque, NM. I just ordered one from a place where I've moved to here in Montgomery, Alabama http://www.baileybrothers.com.

I would suggest a smaller company like these to order a kit from. I ordered what Guitar Center would have charged over $7,800 for from a smaller local company, and got it for $6,000. That's with 8 Paiste cymbals, 4 custom sized toms, bass drum, snare and all the hardware.

Howepirate

Laz":3jardxw5 said:
AK-Drummer":3jardxw5 said:
Check out the Ma and Pa type stores. http://www.grandmas.com is where I got a kit when I lived in Albuquerque, NM. I just ordered one from a place where I've moved to here in Montgomery, Alabama http://www.baileybrothers.com.

I would suggest a smaller company like these to order a kit from. I ordered what Guitar Center would have charged over $7,800 for from a smaller local company, and got it for $6,000. That's with 8 Paiste cymbals, 4 custom sized toms, bass drum, snare and all the hardware.
oh man my friend just got a 6 piece tama starclassic in the cherry fade and man is it beautiful and beautiful sounding...you will be pleased!