Buying New Heads For Ludwig Drum Set

i was looking around on musician friend and i decided i wanted The Pinstripes on the Toms, Coated Ambassador for the Bass Drums and a Emperor X on the Snare. Is this a good combination or is there better? Can you fellow drummers help and make some suggestion and tips. It would be appreciated!!!!

DrummerByron

Wow, what a coincidence, I was just going to post the exact same topic. What Ludwig series do you have? I have the Accent Combo (the “cheap” set) and I am running Pin Stripes on all of my toms and kick except for my 18” floor, which has an Aquarian, coated Satin-Finish head. I love the way my 18” sounds so I was considering coated all the way around, but I can’t find a complete set of the Aquarian coated Satin-Finish heads.
For my snare I run Remo Powerstroke 3 coated heads only, usually with the white dot. I just love the sound and projection the PS 3 has. The bass drum is a personal choice but I do recommend getting a kick pad for it. I prefer the Danmar pad; it gives a great projection and response to your kick. And it will extend the life of the head.
I do like the pinstripes a lot and they will last a while. I was considering the coated heads because they tend to have a warmer sound. I do use some dampening with the Pin Stripes, but that is just because I like to tune my toms to a lower pitch. It just depends on what sound you are looking for.
Here is the set I was looking at: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ ... sku=442597
Hope this helps.

Susanboy

I just got a set of coated ambasadors. They're great for the toms, but if I could I would go with something else for the snare. Something coated with two plies maybe. The amb's are a little ringy for my snare. It's probably just my bad snare tuning though.

phee

Dude! Save some money and get better heads than that at the same time. Sorry to sound like a sales guy, but ATTACK drum heads are really great. I've been playing for 11 years or so and I've tried everything that's out there and ATTACK is just a really strong product. AND really inexpensive!!!! You can order all of these at wwbw.com for really cheap.

Clear Thin Skin 2's on the toms if you like tone
Clear 2-ply w/Tone Ridge on the toms if you like punch

Coated Terry Bozzio (no dot) for snare
Blast Beat for snare if you play really really really hard and use big sticks

Clear Terry Bozzio No Overtone for kick if you like big tone
Coated Terry Bozzio No Overtone for kick if you like controlled warmth

All ATTACK, all cheap, all awesome.

MasterShake89

SabianLudwigZildjianDW":yhbzu73t said:
i was looking around on musician friend and i decided i wanted The Pinstripes on the Toms, Coated Ambassador for the Bass Drums and a Emperor X on the Snare. Is this a good combination or is there better? Can you fellow drummers help and make some suggestion and tips. It would be appreciated!!!!
ohh u were so close to what i have/love. I have a ludwig set as well. Coated pinstripes on the toms, but on the bass i have a remo Ebony powerstroke 3 (amazing, i love it, i would recommend it) and on the snare i have a Remo controlled sound. I orginally got that as a substitute to the Emperor X and turned out like it more. Those would be my suggestions.

drumschick07

I have a Ludwig accent custom and I use EvansG2's on the bottom and G1's on the top and they sound great. For the bass I have G2's on my bass right now, but I'm getting ready tro buy aquarian superkick 2 for it.

shanemunzert

i dont like the sound of coated heads on ludwigs (just me personally). I do enjoy the pinstripe stuff though. Always a good choice.