Buying a new cymbal =/

mfdrummer

I'm Stephanie and I'm new to these boards. I've been playing for two years and I'm looking into buying a new crash (preferably Paiste). Does anyone have advice on choosing cymbals? Or the average prices? Thanks. :)

anavrinIV

play around and buy what you like, dont pick a name first and try to find something that fits it.

and price is all relative. i have a crash that costs 140 new to one that costs 300 new...its all about preference. tell us the sound youre after and your price range and well do all we can.

Shalaq

Also think about what music you play and what sticks do you play. Choosing the right cymbals for your style and sticks will prevent you from cracking them.

Dale

mfdrummer":japyq3bk said:
I'm Stephanie and I'm new to these boards. I've been playing for two years and I'm looking into buying a new crash (preferably Paiste). Does anyone have advice on choosing cymbals? Or the average prices? Thanks. :)
Hi Stephanie. Welcome to the forum.

As the other guys have said, buying cymbals is very personal. I recomend that you visit a drumstore and speak with the sales people. Tell them your situation, for example are you just practicing at home, what type of band you are in etc. This will give them an idea as to what recomendations would suit you. An example would be that if you were not in a heavy metal band and just practicing at home or working in a mid volume band, a Paiste RUDE would not suit your needs.

What it really comes down to is your playing situation coupled with your personal taste.

As a side note, I recomend you check out some of the smaller brands such as Meinl, Turkish, Istanbul etc. These cymbals are awesome and sell at a cheaper price than Sabian, Paiste or Zildjian.

phoenix7289

There are a few good types I would suggest....
Paiste RUDE
Paiste Signature Reflector (VERY expensive)
Paiste 2002 Series
Those might be good.... some famous drummers use a number of them.

mfdrummer

I'm looking for a cymbal that has like a fast "response"and/or a "full" sound,if that makes any sense hah. Pirce range would be under $200.

anavrinIV

definately an aaxplosion. it has a very full sound and the smaller ones open up at very low volume...i have a 14" and an 18" and i love them both...the 18" isnt as good at low volume but the 14" is amazing for quiet songs. check out a 16" for a good all around sound.

opethmurillo05

the that u use dont have anything to do with cracking cymbals they crack cuz u hit wrong or it to tight. but i say go to a music store and play on different cymbals u never know u might end up buying a different brand

PaulZILLA

well. im all for sabians. but knowin the situation and i kinda se what ya mean. if you really want Paiste. look at their PST5 series. reltatively cheap and that sound. a lil loud. but not deafening like my Sabians. lol

Spydr2000

mfdrummer":6p680o84 said:
Stephanie honey! you made my day. "PAISTE" is the way to go my dear. I've played them for years and I honestly can say I don't think they make a bad sounding cymbal. I see price is a factor but not a problem with the paiste line. I use to use all signatures but now I use lower line paiste because the alloys in them are alot stronger than the higher end lines and take a beating and I really don't notices any sound quality differences between them. My suggestion is the Paiste PST 5 line medium crashes, 16" -$66.00 , 17" -$74.00, 18" -$82.00. You can't go wrong with these. Go to the website:

http://www.paiste.com/products/cymbals/pst5_crashes.php

Hear them for your self... beautiful cymbal for the price... great price buy 2.. Good luck shopping! let me know what you get.

Kyle

heyy. i just broke my 16" Sabian AA thin crash and ive had it for a little less than 2 years. i need to replace it, but im not sure if i should get the same 1 again. i was looking at some others but im still not sure. i wanna get another sabian or a zildjian. i play alot of genres but mostly heavy metal, metal. i also play rock, punk, alternative, and jazz. can some1 please help me out? im looking to spend somewhere around 140-160. i use this crash alot, like not just to crash it, i use it as much as i use my hi-hats. i think most of u will know wat im talking about.

xdoseonex

paiste signature is the way to go, theyre thin so dont beat the crap out of them. but the fact that they are thin is what makes them sound so good

mfdrummer

Spydr2000":6q7inhjw said:
mfdrummer":6q7inhjw said:
Stephanie honey! you made my day. "PAISTE" is the way to go my dear. I've played them for years and I honestly can say I don't think they make a bad sounding cymbal. I see price is a factor but not a problem with the paiste line. I use to use all signatures but now I use lower line paiste because the alloys in them are alot stronger than the higher end lines and take a beating and I really don't notices any sound quality differences between them. My suggestion is the Paiste PST 5 line medium crashes, 16" -$66.00 , 17" -$74.00, 18" -$82.00. You can't go wrong with these. Go to the website:

Hear them for your self... beautiful cymbal for the price... great price buy 2.. Good luck shopping! let me know what you get.

Kyle

I went to the Paiste site and I'm loving the medium 16". It has the exact sound I'm looking for! :D Now I'm going to try find it somewhere in a Guitar Center or Sam Ash =/
Thank you guys. :)

Spydr2000

xdoseonex":2pzdflhu said:
paiste signature is the way to go, theyre thin so dont beat the crap out of them. but the fact that they are thin is what makes them sound so good
Signature are beautiful sounding cymbals but not a must have.. anything paiste sounds good in my book...

Spydr2000

mfdrummer":271e91ng said:
Spydr2000":271e91ng said:
mfdrummer":271e91ng said:

Kyle

I went to the Paiste site and I'm loving the medium 16". It has the exact sound I'm looking for! :D Now I'm going to try find it somewhere in a Guitar Center or Sam Ash =/
Ah.. the 16" medium crash !! I have one in my set-up I lov it!!! great choice.. The prices I gave you came from musiciansfriend..

mfdrummer

Spydr2000":2l326hf3 said:
mfdrummer":2l326hf3 said:
Spydr2000":2l326hf3 said:
mfdrummer":2l326hf3 said:

Kyle

Ah.. the 16" medium crash !! I have one in my set-up I lov it!!! great choice.. The prices I gave you came from musiciansfriend..
I haven't bought it yet,I'm gonna look at the musician friend website. Buying online.... :?

Brack

Paiste IS the way to go. Anything in the Signature line is awesome! If you like a slightly darker sound, try the Signature Reflector series. Those are my new favorite series of cymbals. Picture an A Custom, but better. imo...