• Do you buy mostly at independent shops

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Do you buy who ever has the best deal

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

okjohne

HEY EVERYONE,

While a bunch of you mention Musicians Friend and Guitar center Or musicians Super Store or what ever the Walmart of drums and guitars is in your city I'd like to remind you that there is probably a decent indepedent drum shop in your area.

In the Denver area we have Drum City Guitar Land; serious drum shop over 20 years old. DW, Yamaha PDP, Pearl New/Used For as good as these guys are they only have a little attitude.

And of course the famous RUPP's DRUMS A place started in Bob Rupp's Basement 25 years ago. He sold it a few years back and now works as a Sabian rep. Still top notch drum shop. Spent several hundred bucks at each of these shops in the last couple months.

Never purchased so much as a pair of sticks W-drummart.

Call me Gideon

That's great for those that have good privately owned shops. Really, I'd prefer to shop at one and when I live in an area where there is one, I do. Unfortunatly, the only privately owned shop I know here is Bill's Music House and their selection and prices, for drum gear is not good. So, for where I am now GC it is.

NG1284

Well, around here there's one store that has -very- nice guys, but their selection is pretty bad. Aside from sticks and some heads, you need to order just about everything. The other store has a pretty okay selection, but the guys are assholes. I try to go to the first store whenever possible, but I'm pretty good with the owner of the second store so I tend to go back and forth.

Edge3591

I have an extremely horrible local store called "Edmond Music"

For pretty much all of their drum stuff they have no prices on anything so guess how they find out their prices. They google the item, find a price on musiciansfriend and they knocked up that price by about 40% and that's how much they said it cost.

My friend bought bass strings in which they had a 30 day guarantee on them if you didn't put them on your bass. My friend noticed he got the wrong size or something and so he went in to return them. They told him that air destroys bass strings and they can't except them for a return.

The guys there a stuck up little snobs and all jerks.

dunkerton12

This is a good topic to discuss. With a percentage of the population waking up to the woes of Wal-Mart, I think we should also realize that huge chain stores like Wal-Mart, Best Buy, Sam Ash, etc...are putting local places out of business. It happens all the time, especially when the market is down like it's been lately. They simply cannot compete.

There is a small music shoppe here in Cinci where I live, and they have a small corner in their store with some drum heads, sticks, and generic hardware. Throw in a couple of entry level kits from Tama and CB percussion and that's all of it. Pretty limited. Unfortunately, they have to stick with what makes money, and that is guitar stuff. People want to play guitars, and guitarists are a dime a dozen. Heck, GOOD guitarists are a dime a dozen.

Airborne Ranger

I live in the Chicago area and I go to The Drum Pad in Palatine, IL. It's a real pro shop with a large showroom full of high end sets and cymbals and just about every stick model from every manufacturer, thet have just a wall of sticks out in the open (not behind a counter like GC) so you can try every size out on a pad. Most of all is the service and the great clinics they have. They'll match any price and the're the only store I shop at. Go there on a Sat morning and it's elbow to elbow crowded, I am sometimes the only one in GC by me on a Saturday. I go to GC to look but to The Drum Pad to buy.

ThePloughman

If I had the money to open a music store, it would be my stated goal to put every other store in town out of business within a year. They suck. They deserve a guitar center on every corner.

anavrinIV

for a while the only music store around here that sold drums was music 'n more, but i dont like the owner of the store and the selection and prices were horrible. in the course of that time i spent a few thousand doallars at guitar center. now, however, their prices have come down some, the owner is at a different store most of the time, the selection (mostly cymbals) has gone up considerably, and the guys in there know me and like me so i can usually walk out with some kind of discout without ever haggling a single word. from now on i plan on doing as much of my shopping through them as possible because i see that theyre just trying to earn their dues. all the guys there are musicians and pretty much know what theyre talking about. i have a large hardware order coming up pretty soon and i plan on giving these guys my business.

bermuda

There's (at least) a third choice for this poll: The store that has the merchandise I want.

Box stores vs mom-&-pops is a widely discussed topic. Typical comments are that the box stores have the best prices (supposedly because they buy in volume.) Yet this is not always the case. Unless GC or Sam Ash are running a 'loss leader' or blowing out discontinued merchandise, their prices are moderate to high, and only those customers who ask for a lower (or the best) price are likely to enjoy any real savings. The independent stores obviously have to compete, and will do what they can so potential customers make their purchases there: matching & beating prices where possible, offering other services like tuning, lessons & repairs, etc. Not to mention the other advantages of shopping at smaller stores, especially being able to rely on the people who work there. Very often it's an owner, so you can expect to see them there month after month, year after year (which is the complete opposite of the box stores!) This is important because as the people in the store get to know their customers, the pricing and service gets even better.

As for the box stores being well-stocked and carrying every item, this is also not the case. Sure, they could have everything... but that's really not their goal. Their goal is to maximize sales by only carrying items that sell. Well that seems obvious, and certainly sounds like smart inventory management. But it also means that customers looking for in-between items will not find them there. Does everyone here know that GC and Sam Ash generally do NOT carry all cymbal brands - primarily only Sabian, Paiste and Zildjian - and that they do NOT carry every or even most models from those manufacturers, and that they may only have a few examples of each in their store? Sort of makes it hard to put together a set of cymbals when your choices are so limited. And forget about buying Istanbul, Bosphorus or Meinl there.

I'm not saying that a small store will have every item, but they do cater to players with a wider variety of needs, rather than a box store that is focused on more common items such as a Pearl Export kit, a Remo djembe, or an LP cowbell.

Which brings me back to what I said about shopping at 'the store that has the merchandise I want'.

The very closest music store to me is Guitar Center (just 5 minutes down the street) and the next closest is Sam Ash (which is 5 minutes from GC.) The closest real drum shop is about 15 minutes away, and the best-stocked drum shops are 30-45 minutes away. Let's be honest, if I just need a $5 pack of Gibraltar tension rods, I'm not going to drive 20+ miles (each way) for them... I'll go to Guitar Center 2 miles down the road. The choice seems obvious... right?

Not so fast. Even for such a basic item, it's a 50/50 chance that GC will actually have them in stock. So then it's off to Sam Ash, which is also a 50/50 shot. Couldn't I simply call ahead? You would imagine so, but I've learned to not rely on what the counter help tells me. I have to see for myself that they actually have the rods that I need, so a trip is always required. There have been many occasions where I tried both box stores, but found what I needed - and at a better price - at the small store. And if I'm not sure about whether the small store has something and I call first, I can rely on the person there to accurately tell me if they have what I need before driving there. And with gas at $3.50/gal, we should all plan our trips more carefully these days!

That's not to say that I don't also shop at GC and Sam Ash. It all depends on what I need, and what they have. Sometimes I know to start there and then go to the small shops, and other times I know to head straight for that shop 45 minutes up the freeway. In fact, one of my favorite stores is an hour away! So why would I drive an hour, when there's a GC 5 minutes from me? It's because that's the store that has the merchandise I want.

And the stores I like in the L.A area are: Ontario Music, Chad Sexton's Drum City, Pro Drum, West Coast Drum Center, Robin's Drumworks.

Bermuda

dunkerton12

bermuda":20cs2l9e said:
The independent stores obviously have to compete, and will do what they can so potential customers make their purchases there: matching & beating prices where possible
Good point. The local shop closest to me will always give me a good deal on drum heads. (It helps that they have a local distributor.) I get coated ambassadors for $9 a piece, and my snare side ambassadors as well. Depending on the drum size, my other drum heads are always at least 50% cheaper than they are at Sam Ash or GC.

Airborne Ranger

I agree completly with Bermudas post. I too have a GC 5 mins away, yet I rarely go there. I like the personal attention I receive at the drum shop I frequent. They greet me by name when I walk in and for me, that's all I need. At GC I get greeted with "brah" or "dude" or "what's up, guy" by the psuedo "hip musicians" working there. Sure, I'm as casual as the next guy, but they give the impression of not being professional. I could even handle the "dudes" if the prices were better but I get the same prices or better at the pro drum shop. Not just drum shops, I'll patronize an ACE hardware by me over Home Depot for the same reasons.

BillRayDrums

I would rather spend an additional $5 to support the smaller merchants. It's really sad how large corporations have taken hold and ruined small businesses.
It never ceases to amaze me how the "Pro-American" crowd who sport all those "AMERICA- LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT" bumper stickers and the like all end up filling up the parking lot at Wal-Mart where they sell cheap plastic crap from China. (No offense to China- I loved living in Taiwan).

Thing about the smaller shops- I get 5-star service. It's nice to take your snare drum in and have the drum guy fuss over what you need for it, tuning, etc. Sure, he's wracking up sales but it's nice to get things taken care of. And I deal with the same guy, ever ytime. At GC or Sam Ash I can get a relationship going with one guy then I go in one day looking for him and it's like "he doesn't work here anymore". UGH. When I go to Music Mart in Solana Beach, Ca. I am gonna deal with Franc Uberti. He's my guy and I've deal with him for over 10 years.

Empyrean Drums

Damn market economy! Screw trying to offer a better deal, different selection or more services to compete. If only the government would step in and tell people where they can and can't shop, that’d make this all right!

shrub

I really really wish i could hate on guitar center. But my local shops are full of snooty too-good-to-help-me-out bitches. The north hollywood GC I go to has hooked me up big time too. But I agree with everyone here though, I would rather support locals than some materialistic corperate whores. in my case I dont support either.

ThePloughman

14" Remo Ambassador Coated ... 22.00

"I know you can buy it for 8 bucks less at Guitar Center. But they are 30 miles away. So this is what we charge."

I said keep it.

FiestyRedDrummEr

I always like to help out the smaller guys. Unless they do me wrong. But The little shops has helped me get my name. They have supported me and my drumming even before the big name companies got out there and said oh hey we like her lets give her an endorsement. So I'll pay the extra money to get what I need from them.

Atmerrill

Great thread!

To the extent that I can, I always try to shop at the local shops first where the relationship you build over time far exceeds anything you buy on any given day. For the last 15 years, I have done most of my business with Franc Uberti at Music Mart in Del Mar, and I’ve also been shopping with Todd Holmes at San Diego Drums and Percussion (Todd, by the way, does wonderful work refinishing wrap on drums and he is very reasonable price-wise – he did a killer job on my Buddy Rich Slingerland set about 5 years ago). I’ve probably gotten more with Franc over the years, but I’ve reached the point now where I don’t need much.

Talking with the two fellas about this over the years, I’ve had the sense that their frustration with GC and Interstate/Musician’s Friend has really been with drummers who walk in the door armed with an ad, and then want them to match (or more often “beat”) the advertised price. It gets to the point that trying to do so is a losing proposition. At some point, if we’re going to buy at our independent shops, we have to walk in and know what we’re willing to spend, and that sometimes it won’t be the “killer deal” available elsewhere.

And while this may sound like I’m talking out of both sides of my mouth, I think we also have to be good consumers and occasionally take advantage of deals that present themselves at places like GC (and their ilk) when they surface. Example: A young new salesman seems to have taken a liking to me at my local GC and was offering me Vater sticks (nylon) at $4.60 a pair. What the heck, I bought them (actually about two bricks so far).

B-RAD52

dunkerton12":19n55iah said:
This is a good topic to discuss. With a percentage of the population waking up to the woes of Wal-Mart, I think we should also realize that huge chain stores like Wal-Mart, Best Buy, Sam Ash, etc...are putting local places out of business. It happens all the time, especially when the market is down like it's been lately. They simply cannot compete.

There is a small music shoppe here in Cinci where I live, and they have a small corner in their store with some drum heads, sticks, and generic hardware. Throw in a couple of entry level kits from Tama and CB percussion and that's all of it. Pretty limited. Unfortunately, they have to stick with what makes money, and that is guitar stuff. People want to play guitars, and guitarists are a dime a dozen. Heck, GOOD guitarists are a dime a dozen.
where at in cincy?

Gabimo

I would think most drummers wouldn't go to guitar centers(im wrong), i honestly didn't know they had more than guitar things, i assumed but i thought they had sticks only. In my area, guitarists are rarer than bassists! i think there is one wherei live but its around 2 or 3 miles from any homes that would have people who played instruments and 20 or so from mine... but the only store i live near is in a shopping area, and its only used(music go round)

if anyone lives near raliegh NC you should check out 2112 percussion, idk if ads are okay but its got helpful guys and not asses like other people described 8)

dwtoast72

I'd always dealt with alpha music, VABeach, VA... I bought my current kit through McFayden Music, Myrtle Beach, SC... But Alpha has got some dudes in there that truely look for those loop holes to get what ever it is you want/need for cheaper, better, and faster.. Guitar Center is right up the road from them... only reason I've ever had to walk in there was try out a drum kit on the floor..