Building Your Own Kit

druming=life

meinlplayer":2nhojif0 said:
Benhamin":2nhojif0 said:
hows the quality?
if i ordered from drummaker or drumfactory or where ever
am i gonna get a bunch of crap?
and would it hurt the shells to stain them directly for a finish?

http://members3.boardhost.com/amdrumpar ... 76004.html

here's a pic of a set a guy put together from amdrumparts...
and theres a link so you can go hear them... see for yourself.

thats a beautyful set, reminds me of a ship for some reason

Benhamin

Drummer_chum":3ihnhy2g said:
Ive built a couple of drum kits in the past and build mostly snare drums now but if you want advice from alot of builders and want to ask questions go to
www.drummaker.com and go to the message boards. Go there and ask all the questions you need to buils your kit and see if you want to put in the time and make the commitment on building a new drumset. I would suggest buying a snare shell and building a snare first and see if you like the building process before spending alot of money on buying shells and all the other things that go on a drumset.

:wink:

thanks for all the help from all you guys, but i dont think i really am acutally "making" my drum kit, i may order it custom, but if i order the parts and the shells drills and bearings are edge, isnt what im doing really just some assembly required?

Drummer_chum

well it depends how much of the work your going to odo oyourself. I usually pick up the raw shells and have them cut to size then I sand them down and stain or paint them, color sand, Buff to gloss or satin, Measure, drill, cut the edges myself, usually a 45 roundover. Then its picking out the hardware and then its final assembly. Its a time consuming project but I take pride in my work.

andybfrank

I decided I'm going to slowly "build" my own kit, just for the fun of it and to have a second kit. I'm not going to try to cut the edges or drill holes by myself, because I know I'll screw it up and I can't afford to mess around. I'll just stain and put them together. I started by ordering parts for a snare drum and I'm waiting for it to come. Anybody have any suggestions on how to stain/finish it?

drummerboi

i've built the snare that i currently play on right now... 6.5 x 12" maple... turqous glass with black tube lugs and hardware, trick 007 throwoff. It's really not that difficult when you are confident. Don't go into this whith doubt on your mind or you will mess something up. Be confident in what you are doing and everything will be ok. Also you might want to check out www.drumfoundry.com They have step by step instructions as well as multiple different tools that would make your life easier.

http://www.drumfoundry.com

nickbaldwin

I'm gonna have a go once I've finished off my Yamaha Stage custom set, so if I fuck up i'll still have a kit to play.

Gonna do a snare first, see how difficult it is, and how it turns out. All the bearing edges and snare beds I'm getting cut for me though, so less place for error.

andybfrank

drummerboi":2nsjw0tn said:
i've built the snare that i currently play on right now... 6.5 x 12" maple... turqous glass with black tube lugs and hardware, trick 007 throwoff. It's really not that difficult when you are confident. Don't go into this whith doubt on your mind or you will mess something up. Be confident in what you are doing and everything will be ok. Also you might want to check out www.drumfoundry.com They have step by step instructions as well as multiple different tools that would make your life easier.

http://www.drumfoundry.com

so maybe next time around I'll do a tom and try to cut the edges and drill the holes myself. I'd rather leave the snare bed to the pros though. Besides, I don't really have all of the necessary tools right now.

don't let people freak you out when it comes to building your own kit.

i've got three under my belt as well as a few snares.

for beginner drum makers, order stuff from john at amdrumparts.com. if you order the shell, lugs, hops & tension rods he'll cut your bearing edges and drill your holes for free.

all you do is stain/paint/wrap and assemble.

for beginners applying wrap - use the red high-bond tape sold at drummaker.com instead of contact cement. it's much easier to use and much easier to fix if you make a mistake. make a mistake with contact cement and you're toast.

if wrapping's not your thing, use a nice wood stain / dye. the key to making them look nice is to apply the clear coat in very thin coats, sanding between every 2 or 3 coats.

if you're going to build a kit, be patient. i just recently started building a new kit for a friend done with a black stain. the shell took 6 coats of stain, 24 coats of clear coat and 2 coats of wax. with all the sanding, drying, washing, buffing... that one 12x6 tom took me about 3 solid days.

i built my first kit because i was tired of paying companies like spaun upwards of $2,000 for a kit i could make for $800.

here's the most recent snare i did:

snare.jpg

here's my first kit:

drums-1.jpg

here's my second kit:

drums-2.jpg

if i can do it, anyone can do it.

andybfrank

Your drums look great!

I just made a snare drum with parts I ordered from John at Am Drum Parts. I took the easy way out and finished it with 3 coats of tung oil finish. It looks fantastic and sounds great too. I'll see about posting a pic soon.