Building Drums

Filter

This thread along with the websites provided has inspired me to make my own snare! :lol: After I buy my cymbals I think I shall do this! I wanna try building an acrylic snare first but I'm wondering if theres a way to get designs on em? Or how to get your own custom logo badge?

Potatoe Snack

i would absolutely love to do this, but refuse to ever do it. I have a feeling if I tried to put stain or lacquer on anything at all, I'd mess it all up. Until the day I can watch someone in person do it as they explain everything and all the steps I'll take a seat and just get everything I need from guitar center or ebay, lol. but like I said before, I would LOVE to do this.

xdoseonex

Timekeep69":3jw5sazr said:
zen_drummer":3jw5sazr said:
Timekeep69":3jw5sazr said:
No offense but you're assembling your snare drum, not building it.

That's a fact.... of course, lots of custom builders are really just assemblers when you consider what's really going on.

Yes and no. Drilling straight holes and cutting good bearing edges isn't as easy as one would think.

I don't agree with the argument that because most companies use Keller Shells they're all the same or that it's not really building. Carpenters don't cut down the trees and make their own 2x4's. Most furniture makers buy their wood from someone else too.

To have someone else apply a finish, cut the edges and drill the holes is really the same as buying a desk from Wal-mart and saying that you built it and in reality all you did was take it out of the box and assembled it.

Same thing.

I dont know if i would consider drilling holes and cutting 2 bearing edges the difference between assembling and building

xdoseonex

Timekeep69":3n2m7tnv said:
There are a lot of places to go to get supplies. Drummaker.com and amdrumparts.com both sell everything you need and will do the bearing edge cutting and drilling for you for a fee ( I 've heard amdrumparts does it for free as long as you order everything from them). This works if you want a wrapped kit. If you want a lacquer kit, you'll have to do it all yourself because lacquering a shell with holes drilled in it is a pain in the butt.

You'll save on the labor charges but you won't save much on the hardware. Depending on what you want, you could still spend over $1000 just on hardware.

the vocalist for my band used to refinish furnature, and he said he would have absulutely no problm finishing a drilled shell. what are the pronblems you run into?

Timekeep69

xdoseonex":3q3300y7 said:
Timekeep69":3q3300y7 said:
zen_drummer":3q3300y7 said:
Timekeep69":3q3300y7 said:

That's a fact.... of course, lots of custom builders are really just assemblers when you consider what's really going on.

Yes and no. Drilling straight holes and cutting good bearing edges isn't as easy as one would think.

I don't agree with the argument that because most companies use Keller Shells they're all the same or that it's not really building. Carpenters don't cut down the trees and make their own 2x4's. Most furniture makers buy their wood from someone else too.

To have someone else apply a finish, cut the edges and drill the holes is really the same as buying a desk from Wal-mart and saying that you built it and in reality all you did was take it out of the box and assembled it.

Same thing.

I dont know if i would consider drilling holes and cutting 2 bearing edges the difference between assembling and building

I do.

Screwing up either will ruin your drum. A bearing edge can be re-cut (sometimes) but if you screw up the lug alignment you either live with it or start over on a new shell.

With someone else cut the edges and drill the holes, all you have to do is screw on the lugs, strainer and butt plate. That's not building a drum, that's assembling a drum.

Call me Gideon

So, this thread go me thinking about designing and assembling my own acrylic snare. I went to am drum parts and apparently they dont sell just the acrylic shells. They say they're only available as completed drums. Where can I go to get just the shell. If possible I'd like to buy everything from one place.

WindyCityDrumCo

zen_drummer":bijpc2he said:
Timekeep69":bijpc2he said:

I dissagree...the fact youre using a keller shell doesnt mean you didnt build the drum...you have to measure it like crazy, you have to get the edges right...buying drum with edges and holes drilled is assembling. put the parts on. having a raw shell is a different story. the time alone to get a good finish is worth most custom drum prices...
But for materials you could also try www.drumfoundry.com
Keep us updated on the progress.

PDP9000

Scogar said:
I was thinking about maybe trying this, because I have heard from some that it is a great way to save some money but still get a custom sound. I was wandering how many of you guys have tried it, how did it go, and how would you recommend doing it?

I am thinking about trying this but it mite be hard but idk.

xrftsx

yeah i actually plan on building my next kit, i think im going through Drumfoundry.com for my kick shell, and bestdrumdeals.com for everything else.
im doing the edges, lug holes, my lil venting system, etc..
here are the sizes
20x20 kick
8x10, 8x12rack toms and 14x14 floor toms
7x13 snare.
the finish right now is gonna be black/ebony satin stain.
and right now its only costing me about 1300 compared to everyone else i got a quote from. ohh that price doesnt include shipping. but everyone i asked was asking about 2400-3000 range. so hahah, im going the easy way out, and i actually enjoy building and staining shells.
its should be fun