hey there everyone, im just new to this forum, and i fukn love it haha

some nice ass kits out there aye

im lookin for a good wood supplier for a snare drum,
so if anyone can help me out, much apreciated,

and as i start building, i will keep ya all updated with pics

cheers,
aj

drummert2k

you can buy kellar shells straight from kellar or precsion drum company in whatever size and ply you want. i'd recommend you have them do the edges and snare beds for you though. one slight mistake with you trying yourself could result in a ruined shell. even if you know what hardware you're be using, think about having them drill the holes for the hardware for you. these little things can easily be messed up and have you with a wasted shell.

drummerboi

I would go with drumfoundry.com..... and I agree..... have them do the bearing edges and snare bed..... if you mess it up ... you gotta start over again.

AJ_FAITH

im gunna do 14 inch snare, 7 cms high

wooden loops top and bottom (the things that hold the snare skins down)

:)

hopefully it should turn out ok haha

cheers all the way from aus

adam

Gazdkw82§

drummert2k":3n9lrzjf said:
you can buy kellar shells straight from kellar or precsion drum company in whatever size and ply you want. i'd recommend you have them do the edges and snare beds for you though. one slight mistake with you trying yourself could result in a ruined shell. even if you know what hardware you're be using, think about having them drill the holes for the hardware for you. these little things can easily be messed up and have you with a wasted shell.
whats the website to get keller shells?

PaulZILLA

i build my own drums, and trust me, you want them to do the bearing edges and snare beds. i do them myself now, but when i first started out i let them after only a slight mistake cost me a really nice rather pricey shell. the hardware holes arent really difficult, just make sure the drum is firmly, and softly, clamped down, i use a wood working drill press, and i use it with hi torque-low rpm for hardware holes, and th en finish sand the area around the holes to make sure its smooth. most companys only finish sand to 800grit, me i go all the way to 2000 grit. super fine, and i use cloth-fiber sanding pads to smooth out the finish between coats(1500 and 2000 grit between each coat of lacquer).

drummert2k

Gazdkw82§":3a3xr85n said:
drummert2k":3a3xr85n said:
whats the website to get keller shells?
i'd look into precision drums for the shells. they have good prices and you can have the edges, beds and drilling done through them.

http://www.precisiondrum.com

revelationdrums

I build drums professionally and i have found the best place to go is www.drummaker.com. They have great service and cheap prices but also have the best quality ive seen. For example, when you first get a shell from who made it it will have holes in it where the plies did not meet all the way around, most companies will fill that in with puddy, drum maker will fill it in with real wood to keep the resonance. They have a huge selection of different woods, any size or ply you want too. They also have hardware, cases, and finishes. I saw someone say you can just go to Keller, the only problem with that is that you have order at a 25 shell minimum which sucks if you just want to do one drum and don't want to go through someone else to get your shell. I hope I helped you out with your search, good luck with the snare!!!

-Steve

precision and drummaker will do holes and edges for you, but they'll charge you. if memory serves correctly, it's fairly expensive as well...

john at american drum parts will do bearing edges, holes, snare beds... all that crap for FREE if you buy the shell and the hardware from him. in the end, i found he's much cheaper to go through.

good luck. it's a lot of fun... and it can be addicting.

Gazdkw82§

i cant fins a supplyer who can provide me with all the things needed to build a snare in the uk? anybody know anyone?

Northdrums

I'm having drummaker make a snare for me as we speak. The guys there are very helpful. I'll have mine in about three weeks. They have some exotic shells in store that aren't listed on their website. I picked up a walnut stave shell that looks awsome. I'm hoping that it will sound as good as it looks! The drilling was cheap, the shell already had the snare bed. I'll try and post a pic or two in a few weeks.

AJ_FAITH

thanks heaps for the feed back and ideas and shit guys

thats awsome :D

oh and if you have made any drums yourself, id love to see pics :)

cheers,
adam

SmellsLikeIan

sarcasmsetyourhouseonfire":292fjrii said:
precision and drummaker will do holes and edges for you, but they'll charge you. if memory serves correctly, it's fairly expensive as well...

john at american drum parts will do bearing edges, holes, snare beds... all that crap for FREE if you buy the shell and the hardware from him. in the end, i found he's much cheaper to go through.

good luck. it's a lot of fun... and it can be addicting.
Yeah, I've been looking into this for a long time now, comparing prices, parts selection, etc. and drumfoundry is quite a bit more expensive than AMDrumparts. And drumfoundry will only cut edges, not drill lug/mount holes (which AMD does for free and most others charge for). Also, AMD recently added a whole bunch of new acrylic colors and complete drums are very reasonable. BTW nice kits, sarcasm.

Gazdkw82§

aarrggg!!!! i think its an alien thing for someone in the uk to even think about building your own drum...........i cant find any decent place that i can get all the parts

AJ_FAITH

ey guys, have 2 designs, just photoshoped over the top of the real snare body

1st pic, a raw shell

2nd pic, design 1

wood stained

and 3rd pic, design 2

more coming. lemme know wat u think

adam