Brush your teeth left handed?

jayusl

My weak hand (left) and I don't get along so well. I spend a lot of time training it to be as coordinated as its brother. A friend told me to try to do everything I normally do during the day with my left hand instead of my right. For instance brush your teeth with your left hand every morning and night.
Anyone else have any suggestions?

wolfendenstate

My dad's a leftie, and when I go home and he's got his kit set up I'm far too lazy to set it up for me so I just practice playing left handed. I find if you just don't think about what hand and foot is doing what and concentrate on how you want to sound that works pretty well.
I'm not particularly coordinated with my left hand, but I'm getting there, I use it more to build up better stamina in my left hand and arm.

Hope that helps a bit. Think I'll try your mates idea of having a left handed day.

OnusPro

Lori":3u9or6mm said:
I am a Left hander that plays a right handed setup.
A woman after my own heart. I thought I was the only one who played "retarded". (As someone once put it.)

pegleg

apparently, i'm retarded too.
i'm a leftie who plays rightie
i can kind play leftie too, but not as well as i can rightie

trstn

I started plying drums on a left hand set up. Good thing was it had 2 basedrums :) So I was able to use right kick and and a closed hihat.
Let handed drumsets are ok .. but lefthanded guitars are !the evil itself! just because i feel so left alone on them ... :)

Just try to switch things around .. e.g. play a straight 4/4 and switch hihat hand every 2 bars or so, and don't forget the click.

OnusPro

pegleg":36zpwpu3 said:
apparently, i'm retarded too.
i'm a leftie who plays rightie
i can kind play leftie too, but not as well as i can rightie
I tried it once, but my left foot is nowhere near as dominant as my right. Kick was very weak.

lousypadrummer

That's a good idea. I've been doing that for years. I try to do everyday activities left handed. It seems to make a difference.

Tgaff08

it can be as easy as putting the left hand on the hat and right on the snare. this will allow you to work your left hand without having to rearrange your kit between left and right hand set up. i dabble in this practice.

drummer619

i;m a left handed player on a Right handed set-up...i just spend time doing the same beats with my weak hand/foot. :D technique then speed

BillRayDrums

Oh yeah working the "weaker side" is a great thing!! I play "open handed" (as in righty who leads with my left on HH for certain things).

I play a video game called "Quake" and one of the old preferences for your character in the game is to become left, right, or "center-handed". When I heard "center-handed" I immediately said "yeah."

Now if I could swap my feet around. That's hard!!

~B

wolfendenstate

I'm just curious why a lot of lefties play on a right handed set-up? I know some left handed guitarists who play right handed because it is easier and cheaper to get right handed guitars, but obviously drums can be set up either way.
Also can you lefties who play right handed play left handed or not?

The very first time i got on a kit, I ended up swapping it to leftie, but I think that's because I'd seen my dad play so much that it just seemed normal, but i soon changed back to rightie because it more comfortable for rolls and things.

Cheers

Scott_Hurford

what has been said is true. try doing every thing u can with just your left hand (your right if your a lefty). keep doing it as often as u can/like and tht will build up a little control, but alot of it is down to sheer practice on the kit

OnusPro

wolfendenstate":1rvoh4uu said:
I'm just curious why a lot of lefties play on a right handed set-up?
Because it's comfortable. Crossing one arm over the other doesn't feel right to me. I'll pose this question to all the righty's: Why, if the primary hihat is played w/ the right hand, is it placed on the left side of the kit?

designofduality

I'm left-handed.
I play a left-handed kit.
I brush my teeth with my left hand.

Perhaps we need a thread for left-handers titled "Brush your teeth right handed?"

Rob Crisp

It's a fact that right handed drummers prefer playing right over left.

I've begun playing open handed with my band during rehearsals as well as during personal practice. My aim is to become more flexible, starting more fills with the left, playing with more ease and independance from my left hand side.

It also makes you think about what your playing more!

It's all about the personal challenge for me.

mute

i broke my right arm a while ago and was forced to do everything with my left hand and only that, open jars, make sandwiches, ride my bike (my transportation at the time), and write. i had to take all my finals (drawing DNA for a genetics test with your off-hand is not easy) and my work was very writing-heavy. so i decided to keep drumming with only the left.

needless to say, i was much better off with my left-hand by the time the cast came off. my left foot still sucks, but i suggest breaking your right arm for a while, or just tying it off.

JC Wonder

jayusl:

Training your weaker limbs is critical in becoming a better drummer.

I make it a habit during practice to practice everything with both hands. Practice patterns and fills begining with both your right and left hands and both your left and right feet, as well as playing beats right and left handed. It really is the only way.

In time your weaker limbs will catch up.

It is very challenging, but also very rewarding.

Hope that helps.