Broken 2-ply Bass Head Question

cjdubya17

ok so i broke through the first ply in one spot on my 2-ply head and i was wondering if there was any way to repair it, or if i could take off the broken ply completely and just use it as a one ply head?? the head doesnt sound all that broken, just my beater gets stuck in the rip sometimes. i know about patches and stuff but i was just planning on getting one for when i get a new bass head.

audiotech

If you're serious about drumming, you gotta buy a new head. I saw that one of my Evans EQ4 batter heads was looking a little thin where the batter attacks it, so I bought another head before my beater slashes through it completely. I usually use the the small plastic or Mylar reinforcement disc that comes with Evans bass drum heads, but for some reason I didn't have it installed on this head.

Dennis

Alan_

yeah. I mean, you CAN rip off the broken mylar layer, but be warned: the plys of mylar used are thinner than a standard 1-ply head, and it will be much easier to break than a normal one-ply head.

cjdubya17

ok, im just gonna try the duct tape. that should probably hold me off until next friday. (stupid biweekly paychecks)

Assback

duct tape should do it. There's this punk house I play at all the time and the same exact thing is going on with the hosue set.

The tape works fine but kinda kills the tone a little

cjdubya17

alright cool, and thats fine by me cause my drums sound bad due to a combination of the set, mediocre tuning and bad acoustics in the room i play. but my set sounds amazing no matter what i do to it when i have some protective headphones on!

xdoseonex

Brother_Bong":zu1e7gre said:
xdoseonex":zu1e7gre said:
DO NOT use duck tape.
Agreed! Makes a mess outta your beaters, and will stick and slow you down while you play.
Bottom line-new head.
yup. exactly. I'v done it before. it was just terrible. sticky beaters, sticky head, then you gotta clean your beaters with goo-gone. so annoying.

audiotech

I never promote using tape on drums, heads or cymbals, but if I really had the need to tape something, I would only use Gaffers tape. It comes in the same widths as duct tape, but it's a bit thicker and comes off clean. We used tons of Permacel Gaffers tape at the production studio where I worked, from taping down cables to taping up lighting fixtures. It's great stuff.

Dennis