Bright, Piercing Bell Sound

pow3rtr1p

New member
So, I love my crash ride as a chorus crash, and as a ride cymbal, but there's one thing I don't like about it, and that's the bell. I want a sharp, bright, in your face bell, like on the following albums:

Lamb of God: Ashes of the Wake
August Burns Red: Messengers
Bad Religion: The Empire Strikes First
Coheed and Cambria: Good Apollo... (not writing all that out)

I was wondering if this could be achieved with a bell (like a Zil-Bel, Saluda Expressions bell, etc) or if it pretty much had to be done with a ride. If it's got to be a full ride cymbal, then what weights and/or describing words should I look for? I was thinking a ping ride sounds best, but I wasn't sure if a Ping ride typically has the piercing bell I am looking for.

Thanks for any and all help.

pow3rtr1p
 

xdoseonex

New member
you might be able to get the sound your looking for with the larger sized 9.5" zil bel. but i dont know if its gonna be the exact sound your looking for. theres alot of rides with peircing bells. some are

Zildjian 22" K ride. (thats what i have. hear it at www.myspace.com/ashellbrokeloose )
Zildjian Z custom mega bell ride
Paiste "rythmatist" blue bell ride
Meinl 24" "Pure Metal" Ride. (Made for chris adler. This is what you hear in the lamb of god albums)
 

michiganice91

New member
I custom ordered a Paiste 9 inch signature reflector cup chime. Ive heard a Paiste rude 9 inch cup chime...they sound amazing.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2MhPpr5-Ke8&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2MhPpr5-Ke8&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
 

drummerduba

New member
i have a 22" meinl classics medium ride

by jove its loud bright and piercing

also ordered th 24" pure metal so that was a great suggestion
 

stump

New member
I have a 20" Zildjian power ride that has an awsome bell but my 21"Sweet Ride is overall the best I have played. Great wash, bow and clear pingy bell. Peace on ya!
 

pphunk

New member
I had an old vintage ride that gave me perfect ping and perfect wash, unfortunately i also had a bit of a drinking problem. The problem being, i got drunk before i put my cymbals in their bag and ended up dropping/cracking my old ride. To replace it i tried everything i could find and ended up buying a 22" K Custom Ride. I love the way this thing sounds. The ping cuts through layers of distorted guitars like a hot knife through soft butter.


 

xdoseonex

New member
pphunk":qwa1wat6 said:
I had an old vintage ride that gave me perfect ping and perfect wash, unfortunately i also had a bit of a drinking problem. The problem being, i got drunk before i put my cymbals in their bag and ended up dropping/cracking my old ride. To replace it i tried everything i could find and ended up buying a 22" K Custom Ride. I love the way this thing sounds. The ping cuts through layers of distorted guitars like a hot knife through soft butter.


oo yeah. thats my ride. I love that thing. dont buy it if you have hamsters, because the bell will kill them. I'm never gonna get rid of it. its just too perfect. especialy for metal. which is surpising considering its a K custom
 

dunkerton12

New member
Sabian's AAX Metal Ride has an incredibly cutting high pitch bell. Great stick definition and loud. Or you could just go to the music store and try out what they have, or one of the other suggestions already given.

Good luck.
 

stump

New member
stump":9jlh6ckz said:
I have a 20" Zildjian power ride that has an awsome bell but my 21"Sweet Ride is overall the best I have played. Great wash, bow and clear pingy bell. Peace on ya!
If you want to har the Sweet ride live check out the vids posted in the general discussion section. Raise the bar has a great bell sound in the lead break. Peace on ya!
 

king_friday

New member
michiganice91":39kp3163 said:
I custom ordered a Paiste 9 inch signature reflector cup chime. Ive heard a Paiste rude 9 inch cup chime...they sound amazing.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2MhPpr5-Ke8&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2MhPpr5-Ke8&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
...ok, it could be what you are hitting it with...or just the video...but that thing sounds a little....off
 

xdoseonex

New member
king_friday":22ahbwt0 said:
michiganice91":22ahbwt0 said:
I custom ordered a Paiste 9 inch signature reflector cup chime. Ive heard a Paiste rude 9 inch cup chime...they sound amazing.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2MhPpr5-Ke8&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2MhPpr5-Ke8&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
...ok, it could be what you are hitting it with...or just the video...but that thing sounds a little....off
yeah, its got like weird overtones
 

Metaldrummer89

New member
xdoseonex":6sn42o2k said:
you might be able to get the sound your looking for with the larger sized 9.5" zil bel. but i dont know if its gonna be the exact sound your looking for. theres alot of rides with peircing bells. some are

Zildjian 22" K ride. (thats what i have. hear it at www.myspace.com/ashellbrokeloose )
Zildjian Z custom mega bell ride
Paiste "rythmatist" blue bell ride
Meinl 24" "Pure Metal" Ride. (Made for chris adler. This is what you hear in the lamb of god albums)
definately don't get the zil-bel for this purpose. i own it and it will literally ring for 5 minites. if you flip it over and hit it like the bell of a ride it sounds...i dk how to describe it but "bad" is pretty close. i also own the mega bell ride and it does the same damn thing though you get used to it.

i'd suggest the zildjian ping ride. the bell on that thing sounds AMAZING.
 
Top