Breaking The Rut

Steven McTowelie

i've read lots of articles in modern drummer and drum about this topic, but i thought it would be interesting to see the kind of feedback i get from my fellow drummers on this site. i frequently hit a wall when coming up with beats and fills with my band, and i was just wondering if others have this problem too, and if so, how you get out of it and help yourself come up with new, fresh fills. i'm in one right now and it's driving me crazy!

FiestyRedDrummEr

I get in them too. But I just let it ride out. I don't really know if there is much i can do but sit it out. It gets really fusterating and if i sit there and trying to pound something out..well... i get more pissed and impatient. For me its better just to sit back and relax. And wait for something to come to me, then try to force it.

BillRayDrums

How about not play any fill? If you have to force a fill then it's probably inappropriate to play it at that given moment.

Other than that, I think about geometry. As in I stare at the hot blonde at the bar, think about the curves of her body, and play a fill based upon that delectable rump she be sportin'. That's how I create fills.

TheYardstick

BillRayDrums":t2k6gvvx said:
How about not play any fill? If you have to force a fill then it's probably inappropriate to play it at that given moment.

Other than that, I think about geometry. As in I stare at the hot blonde at the bar, think about the curves of her body, and play a fill based upon that delectable rump she be sportin'. That's how I create fills.
Wow, that's pretty freaking amazing, wish I could think like that.

cableman26

BillRayDrums":3272mftp said:

That's beautiful.

BillRayDrums

TheYardstick":2weo094t said:
BillRayDrums":2weo094t said:

You can. Imagine a rock rolling down an incline. The bumpity-bump pattern it makes. When you practice, emulate that sound. Go grab the clothes washer when it's on spin cycle, close your eyes and feel the randomness of the rhythmic pattern that occurs. Tap your foot and it'll make sense. Sheesh man just look at life- everything has rhythm, even the cells in our bodies. Tune into it. A mere drumset doesn't make someone a drummer. Besides, if you break it down you really are a "stickist"...a "sticker"....."one who plays sticks". You can have one hand on the wall and the other on the table and play a musical pattern. That's how you create. Not in "triplets" or "quads" or "paradiddles". All of those are like molds of sorts. Devices. Tools.

I can listen to a drummer and within about 10 seconds can tell if he's creating something with a bunch of molds stacked up....which sounds "moldy"....or if they are a true artisan who can sculpt "freehand".

Now imagine that curvy back. Create a smooth fill to mirror it.

And yes I am writing a book.

TheYardstick

BillRayDrums":2z3jtaxz said:
TheYardstick":2z3jtaxz said:
BillRayDrums":2z3jtaxz said:

You can. Imagine a rock rolling down an incline. The bumpity-bump pattern it makes. When you practice, emulate that sound. Go grab the clothes washer when it's on spin cycle, close your eyes and feel the randomness of the rhythmic pattern that occurs. Tap your foot and it'll make sense. Sheesh man just look at life- everything has rhythm, even the cells in our bodies. Tune into it. A mere drumset doesn't make someone a drummer. Besides, if you break it down you really are a "stickist"...a "sticker"....."one who plays sticks". You can have one hand on the wall and the other on the table and play a musical pattern. That's how you create. Not in "triplets" or "quads" or "paradiddles". All of those are like molds of sorts. Devices. Tools.

I can listen to a drummer and within about 10 seconds can tell if he's creating something with a bunch of molds stacked up....which sounds "moldy"....or if they are a true artisan who can sculpt "freehand".

Haha, I was aware everything in life has rhythm to it, I just thought the blonde thought was pretty interesting.

SGarrett

BillRayDrums":2wuxugh1 said:
TheYardstick":2wuxugh1 said:
BillRayDrums":2wuxugh1 said:

Outstanding.

I feel the same way. I prefer to let a song dictate whether or not a part needs a fill and if so, what that fill will be. The last thing I want is for a fill to detract from the overall song. I can't stand this new complicated just for the sake of being complicated attitude. I mean, do you really need to play the triple paramaratadiddle flam or do you just want to show off your uber leet drum skillz? Save that shit for the solo and play for the song.

Brother_Bong

Billy Ray, has tapped on to something important (again). Look around, more importantly listen around. Your windshield wipers going, now add turn signal, and wait for the bumps in the road(all the while paying attention to your driving please) it becomes an orchestra of sounds. I can't get that shit outta my head. Right now typing on the keyboard, I'm trying to keep time...2,3,4.....so I guess the submit button is the big crash!

dedrummervanrolf

oaahw, thank god, I was hoping all drummer would have this. I chew my food in rythms, to make music in my head while eating. I work at an espressobar, and everything I do there makes noise. SO everything I do in there is in rythms. Sometimes it drives me crazy, but most of the time its the best thing in the world to actually make music and play the drums when you're making someones coffee or eating a chocolat-ship cookie.