Bottom snare head woes

clatterdrums

I seem to be breaking bottom snare heads alot these days. I get cracks in the head right where the end of the snare wires press up against the head. I do tune my snare fairly high. Is this a too much tension thing on the head? snares? Anyone else have this problem?

clatterdrums

Timekeep69":rrw4g2ct said:
Take the head off and check if there's a snare bed and see if there are any sharp edges on it.
Thanks for the input! I'll check that out. It's one of those DW "Edge" snares with the 1" band of brass at the bottom and top. I seem to recall that it is a bit on the "sharp" side.

drumur

It's probably a very sharp edge...I've heard of this happening with some snares.
Also, check the snare wires...there might be a sharp edgestiking out.
It shouldn't happen from tightening

skitch

Timekeep69":1k6tftbk said:
Take the head off and check if there's a snare bed and see if there are any sharp edges on it.
Not that I know from personal experience, but Edge drums have no snare bed.

bapudi

i have a quarter size hole in my resso snare head.

love it. it cuts the buzz and gives it more of a punchy attack. and sence its a piccolo it sounds even more amazing

xdoseonex

bapudi":191ymzz8 said:

love it. it cuts the buzz and gives it more of a punchy attack. and sence its a piccolo it sounds even more amazing
how the hell did you achieve that?

bapudi

xdoseonex":3vni5trh said:
bapudi":3vni5trh said:

how the hell did you achieve that?

my snare stand fell over with my snare on it. and thank god it landed on sumthing that just broke through the resso. didnt make it sound any diffrent. till i cut the broken piece off then it was just loud loud as hell.

tho i know its a fluke and wont work for any one else