Bonhams snare?

The Heel

Definitely correct.

While Bonham's drums changed from wood to vistalites to stainless steel... his snare never changed.

6.5"x14" Supra-Phonic Chrome-plated Snare Drum

He would tune the top and bottom tight but not choked, and leave the snares loose enough to resonate.

stonephar0

^1/2 x 14 supraphonic ludwig nob .
The most recorded snare drum of all times... Istill want one. I have a super sensitive but it doesn't quite have the rock tone of supraphonic :D

zen_drummer

Depending on the time frame, Bohnam used a few different snare drums:
  • Pre Zeppelin (1963-68) era: 5x14" Keystone Badge Ludwig Supra Phonic COB Snare
  • Early Zeppelin (1968) era: 20's/30's COB Oval Badge Ludwig & Ludwig Tube Lug Snare
  • Led Zeppelin Tours (1969-80), Studio (1970-79) era: 6.5x14" Olive Badge Chrome Supraphonic Snare Ludalloy 402 series

As The Ocean was on Houses Of The Holy, which was released on March 28, 1973, this was recorded in 1972. So based on that he was playing a 6.5x14" Olive Badge Chrome Supraphonic Snare Ludalloy 402 series...

These drums can be found in garage sales across America for 50 bucks and they are utterly common. At your better music stores that sell used gear, these can still be had for 100-150 bucks in varying conditions.

atldrummer

The Ludwig Model number is LM402. It's a 6.5x 14 Chrome over Aluminum solid shell (no seam). The shop I frequent (Atlanta Pro Percussion) has one that I frequently drool over. They usually run just below $400. Very available.

JohnRobMHIM

I actually have/had a Ludwig supraphonic, but i took the badge off, sanded the chrome off, cut vents into it, and got new hardware for it.

It's still got all the balls it's ever had, but a lot more cut now =D

zen_drummer

JohnRobMHIM":3rc5o54h said:
I actually have/had a Ludwig supraphonic, but i took the badge off, sanded the chrome off, cut vents into it, and got new hardware for it.

It's still got all the balls it's ever had, but a lot more cut now =D
Got any pictures? Sounds really cool!

bigbobblack

I have a Supraphonic 402 that comes with the Vistalite kit. Its not as loud as some of the brass snares I've used but its the best sounding all-round snaredrum live and studio I've ever used