Bohnams Stainless Steel Kit.

john_bonham73

the Ludwig John Bonham stainless steel set? Pretty pricey,huh? I've played a stainless steel set in the past,not Bonham sizes though.It had some pretty good tone to it but the thing I mostly remember was the projection of the sound.It was a 24" bass drum and it RAWK'D so much it made my ass quiver....no lie.I probably could have come up with a better description but as Im sitting here writing this,thats what I remember.

mattdoesrock

Bonham had a steel kit? I never knew this...I always thought he sticked with the old acrylic Ludwig.

How much was it?

sp4zium

now if i were rich... i'd rock those timpanis and the gong. alas, I am not rich... but i can still dream...

Marki777

A I recall, Bonham's stainless kit was chrome over maple I do believe. I know his snare was this configuration, chrome over maple and I'm assuming that his kit was the same

Marki777":gypobh3b said:
A I recall, Bonham's stainless kit was chrome over maple I do believe. I know his snare was this configuration, chrome over maple and I'm assuming that his kit was the same
Mark, my fellow drummer. You are misinformed, sorry to say. Bonham NEVER used a wood snare....he ALWAYS used a chrome 6 1/2 x 14" Supraphonic. It was not a chrome over wood, this was a metal drum. This is a well-known fact confirmed by Jeff Ocheltree(his tech) and various other books and pics. And he actually DID own a stainless steel kit.......I am not sure if it was before or after the amber Vistas but he did in fact have a stainless steel Ludwig kit.

His first Ludwig that Carmine Appice helped hook him up with was a maple double bass kit with a 12x15 tom and two floor toms which I believe were both 16x16(I could be wrong about the sizes....) which he eventually got rid of the other kick and played it as a five piece. He also had a green sparkle Ludwig kit in the 14(or15), 16, 18 and 26" configuration. he also had a black/clear swirl Vista kit given to him by Ludwig that he never used publicly but has been photographed in several books about him and his life. One that I saw was written by his late brother and had pics of all of the kits within the text. I also have a VERY good friend who is a Bonham enthusiast and he can confirm ALL of this. Go to www.bonzodrums.com(I think....) and ask Matt about it. He believes that he MIGHT have one of Bonzo's customized stainless steel kits because of the customization done on the kick. I think it has an XLR jack built into the shell and this would be WAYYYYY before the MAY EA system was around. Whether it is a Bonzo drum or not remains to be seen. BUT, I feel certain that the kit you are referring to is in fact a Stainless Steel kit. And I KNOW the snare was a metal, NOT a wood.

No biggie....just wanted to set the record straight.

Marki777

Well as much research that has been done on what JHB played on, Id bet that very few people knew all the drums he played. But more important than what drums he played is how he played them, and what we can learn from and respect from one of the giants in our profession. I have been playing for over 30 years and professionally for over 25, and I'm still gleaning nuggets of technique, power, speed and endurance. There are many things we can learn from his playing and his life. Both good and bad. May his memory and recordings live on forever.....

Marki777

And by the way George, you have a great tune on myspace! "My All" has an awesome sound to it, nice smack on the snare. full round sounding toms, nicely done!!

Marki777

And your probobly right about JHB kits. I never really focused so much on what drums he played (I did know they were Ludwig and Vista lites, ect) but how he played them and coped as many of his licks as I could muster in my youth, and still do!
But they rigged a mike in the bass drum huh? So thats where May got it from! I got those on my kit and they do sound great!!
If you ever come up here in the cold cold north to Motown, drop me a line at:http://www.myspace.com/marki777
Id love to drop in and give yall a listen
peace

Marki777":1mp2k5x3 said:
And by the way George, you have a great tune on myspace! "My All" has an awesome sound to it, nice smack on the snare. full round sounding toms, nicely done!!
Mark, my friend, that was an extremely nice thing to say about that track. Out of all of the things I have done in my career that is definitely one of my favs. Drums sounds great, the song was well-written and I just HAPPENED to be in Warner Robins, GA(where the tune was recorded) that day. I was there with a girlfriend at the time who was buying a car. The studio was one I had worked at previously and while she was signing the paperwork I walked over to the studio to say hi. The engineer/producer and the artist just HAPPENED to to be there and oddly enough, thought about calling me to come down from Atlanta to play on the track. But to tell you the truth, I didn't even have my stickbag with me! Long story short, we drove to a music store, bought 3 pairs of sticks, did a drumset pass and then I overdubbed the timbale thing in the bridge and on the outro. Took 25 minutes, MAX. The drums were a Pearl Master Studio(birch) kit that resides in the studio. AND, all of the cymbals they had was a pair of hi-hats, a ride, one crash and a busted China cymbal! For the timbale thing I just turned the snares off and played it right there. Happy accident, for sure!

You are SOO right about not being important what set JHB played, but what he DID. I read an interview with Dave Mattocks, British session dummer and he said that Bonham came by a session that he was on and sat at his little kit with the 20" bass drum and began to play. Oddly enough, when JHB played his kit it SOUNDED like a HUGE kit. So, I think his touch and talent could have shone through no matter WHAT drums he played.

Would love to come to Detroit. Cold there now but nice in the summer. And the same thing for you....if you are ever in Atlanta please let me know. You are always welcome to hang and jam.