Blue Kickball mic

m

ordered one of these on the recommendation of a friend recently-
wow. I'm shocked; this thing is a little powerhouse!
Ran some tests today against my D112, and it was no contest- the Blue smoked it.
Hoping to see how it holds up next to a Shure B52 (my fav bass mic) tomorrow night.

I don't know how they did it. This thing cost me less than $60 and it sounds great.
Ordered another for my floor toms today.

I'll try to get some tracks up for it soon, if anyone wants to hear it on the bass drum.
It's nice and smooth, and even in the flat EQ position it had way more low-end than the D112.

Empyrean Drums

m":3d9gcp37 said:
ordered one of these on the recommendation of a friend recently-
wow. I'm shocked; this thing is a little powerhouse!
Ran some tests today against my D112, and it was no contest- the Blue smoked it.
Hoping to see how it holds up next to a Shure B52 (my fav bass mic) tomorrow night.

I don't know how they did it. This thing cost me less than $60 and it sounds great.
Ordered another for my floor toms today.

I'll try to get some tracks up for it soon, if anyone wants to hear it on the bass drum.
It's nice and smooth, and even in the flat EQ position it had way more low-end than the D112.

What's it look like from the side?

SGarrett

I used to like D112s, until I started using my D6. I'm curious about this though. I know the Blue Bird overheads kick major ass and are on my want list.

AmnestysLowEnd

I am looking for a mic and saw this mic. I know Blue makes some really nice Vocal mics. But one thing how do you mount it on a stand and were did you get it for $60, I have only seen it for $100 which isn't that bad.

m

yep, the mount is a standard mic stand type, underneath. The XLR input is on the back, lower hemisphere. You plug in at New Zealand, pretty much..

I got it for $50 on ebay, then ordered another yesterday from ZZounds. I can't figure out if they're discontinued or not; doesn't seem like it, according to the Blue site.

SGarrett

m":kqhprhw8 said:
yep, the mount is a standard mic stand type, underneath. The XLR input is on the back, lower hemisphere. You plug in at New Zealand, pretty much..

I got it for $50 on ebay, then ordered another yesterday from ZZounds. I can't figure out if they're discontinued or not; doesn't seem like it, according to the Blue site.
Hell, for that price you could buy them and resell them on eBay. :D

AmnestysLowEnd

Im am going to order 1 or 2 tomorrow they sound like they are amazing from what your saying plus they are so damn cheap I can't lose out.

Neal

This Mic kicks ass and takes numbers, I have used the Shure B52A and the AKG D112 and the kickball holds up to both of them, as a FOH (front of House) engineer and a drummer I've done my fair share of micing a kick drum. The trick in my opinion to getting a great sound is getting this mic about 2 inches away from the beater inside the shell start with the bass switch at the 0 point and adjust from there either up or down depending on how much Bass you want. I bought mine at Fullcompass.com for $44

m

sorry for the soundclip delays, my PreSonus is not playing nice with Leopard yet. Will try to get it done ASAP.

Also picked up an Audix i5 recently, nice little snare/tom mic!

skitch

The guy at the MayEA booth was trying to convice me that the way to go right now is a Beta 52 in the Kick drum and a D112 on the outside. I can just hear the soundman complaing about two mics right now!