Blisters

drummerboy24

Someone tell me if this is a good idea. I put electrical tape around the bottom of my fingers to try and prevent blisters and it seems to work okay. Is it a good idea? If not what do you recommend?

pow3rtr1p

drummerboy24":1ax19iup said:
Someone tell me if this is a good idea. I put electrical tape around the bottom of my fingers to try and prevent blisters and it seems to work okay. Is it a good idea? If not what do you recommend?
Just let the blisters happen. When they get bad, rip them off, and keep ripping them off. Eventually, you'll form a callus, and then you won't get blisters anymore, even bare handed. That's what I do, anyway.

Airborne Ranger

It is NOT a good idea to keep ripping them off, you are just inviting an infection. Blisters form to allow the skin underneath it to heal in a sterile environment. It is much better to prevent them in the first place by using tape. Electrical tape will work well but the white medical tape will be better. The medical tape allows your skin to breath (because it has a paper base) and will allow a callous to form. Electrical tape is plastic based and doesn't breath. If a blister forms, cover it in a bandage and Neosporin.

stump

I have nice calusses (20+ years worth). Blister's are gonna happen if you play bare handed and are just starting out or take a break. As far as electrical tape...NO. It may give a decent grip but the ledges left by wrapping will hurt. If you want to play with bare hands and need something to help with grip look at Zil-wax or another grip wax. Peace on ya!

BillRayDrums

If you're a new drummer you will get blisters. Blisters turn to callouses and you want these.

However, getting too many blisters is a sign of improper technique; gripping too tightly is the specific.

YOu can't really stave off blisters too easily if you are developing but here's a trick- Superglue.

When you get a gnarly blister, before you play put a drop of superglue on it, and blow like a "poof" onto it to make it flatten down. DON'T use the gel type. Get the thin normal kind. This will form a hard shell over the blister and allow you to play more comfortably.

Oh, and Superglue was designed to "bond skin instantly" for the Vietnam war so don't worry about toxic effects. It ain't gonna kill you.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superglue

Potatoe Snack

whatever you do, don't try those sticks with the rubber grips. I had to play a 2 hour set with a pair of those before and my god, there wasn't a part on my hand without blisters, and I hardly EVER get blisters anymore.

dunkerton12

I'm not sure how people get blisters. I've never had blisters from drumming-even when I was first starting out. Maybe it's just my skin or something???

Do a lot of you get blisters?

\m/-Kyon-\m/

haha yeah i get some pretty vicious blisters all the time. i get blisters under calluses. but what i like to do is use medical tape instead of electrical tape. better comfort and grip on the sticks especially if youve got an open blister.

imjeffcanudigit

yea blisters do happen and ur hands will get tougher however u might want to just use different sticks or hold them different or maybe both.

BillRayDrums

imjeffcanudigit":3g1n6cx2 said:
yea blisters do happen and ur hands will get tougher however u might want to just use different sticks or hold them different or maybe both.
Great point!~!
The size stick you use will also be a factor in your hands. I have extremely large hands and use a 2B for everything, even light cocktail-style gigs. Volume is in the hand of the player, not the size of the stick. Last night I sat in on a guy's kit and all there were to use were 7A sticks. Ugh!! Pencils! I played much louder than I ought to have and I know it. It was the feeling of not being able to "push forth" and overcompensation. And also since I'm tuned in to a 2B, I could feel the flexiness of a 7A.

So yeah, check out your sticks. And keep your hands loose. Maybe I'll make a video tonight and post it.

iampoor

pow3rtr1p":7j8femy0 said:
drummerboy24":7j8femy0 said:
Just let the blisters happen. When they get bad, rip them off, and keep ripping them off. Eventually, you'll form a callus, and then you won't get blisters anymore, even bare handed. That's what I do, anyway.
Exact thing I do. I now have some calluses that I'bve had forever.

Unfortunatly girls don't like them. XD

Llama_Dude

I haven't gotten them scince I fixed my technique. Gripping too hard is a killer for your hands. and avoid Zildjian DIPs. They cuase MAJOR blisters.

Alcyon

I use cheap fingerless biking gloves, but I've been considering picking up a pair of Ahead drum gloves; Chris Adler and Jason Bittner use them, so they must be helpful. I never seem to get blisters with my Post-Hardcore band (I can play without gloves), but in my metal band, I forgot my gloves last practice, after two hours I had really painful blisters at my finger joints on my right hand. I know I'm gripping too hard, but technique takes practice, and it's coming along slowly.

Jamie_Hellbound

hey there, cheers for the advice all you drummers!

Got a practice tonight and a dimebag darrell tribute gig (big bunch o' pantera covers!) on saturday. Not had blisters for a good while but got a massive one on my left thumb (bad tech i guess!) - got another practice tonight so wondering if anyone had specific advice for what to do with a fully ripe blister 3 hours before a practice?

xdoseonex

iampoor":2m4572ot said:
pow3rtr1p":2m4572ot said:
drummerboy24":2m4572ot said:

damnit stop doing that. its like the worst thing you can do

Brother_Bong

xdoseonex":1put5y0d said:
iampoor":1put5y0d said:
pow3rtr1p":1put5y0d said:
drummerboy24":1put5y0d said:

damnit stop doing that. its like the worst thing you can do
Dose is right, don't do it. Let them take their course. You will be a lot happier.