Blisters anyone?

stoof.

See, I have this problem. After playing gigs (even very short ones!), I get these huge blisters on my fingers. Mainly on my upper thumbs, lower index, and upper palms (yes...both hands). Now it's true that I have very thin fingers, but could the problem also be linked with the way I hold the stick? I've tried plasters, doesn't work, the stick just slips and causes a blister elsewhere on my hand, I don't have any drumming gloves, I can't find them anywhere in Belgium :( and I can't use tape, because that restricts movement of the fingers, and the sticks go flying...i don't know, starting to think I just have to live with it, but it is pretty frustrating, especially since it's been going on for 7 years! Thing is I play so god damn hard...anyone have the same problem? Or have any ideas to help out?

Steph xxx

ps. just to show you, here a photo I took after a concert a few months ago...

Animal

Well, there's no photo here!
(Edit; Now there is; How on earth did you get a huge blister in such a place?! I don't understand how you hold your sticks!)

Generally I can say this:

Practice more, and the blisters will go away!

Seriously, I tend to get blisters myself from time to time.

Nearly without exeption, I can say this is due to lazyness, or that I haven't been practising steady.

One week with no drumming, and then suddenly drum away?
Go figure.

Wether this is close to your reality, I don't know.
But I honestly beleve this is the main reason for getting blisters.

When you are practicing steady, the skin will no longer remain "thin" as you put it. It will thicken, especially in those places of the hands that are the most in contact with the drumsticks.

If this doesn't help, maybe you should try to play with leather gloves. That should most definately solve your problem, all though it tends to be warm and sweaty! :p

Good luck in getting rid of them blisters, pal! :wink:

stoof.

that's the thing. I practice regularly both by myself and with my band, but i only get the blisters playing gigs...i play a lot harder and that's why obviously. And my skin is thin, but of course, after the blisters heal the parts of my hands which had them harden, which SHOULD prevent more blisters from coming, but no...the rough skin is broken again at the next concert and the whole cycle restarts. and yeah, I think i let the stick too "free" in my hands, which makes it rub against my skin more than it should. that's my theory anyway, I've zoomed into photos of my hands whilst playing, and sometimes I can tell it's not right...but i've picked up a bad habit, it's going to be hard to get rid of it...

Animal

stoof.":2mymcedj said:
that's the thing. I practice regularly both by myself and with my band, but i only get the blisters playing gigs...i play a lot harder and that's why obviously.
Well, tip #1 will be that you play as hard during rehersals as you do live, or that you play as soft live as you do during rehersals.

Just be concious about it.

And my skin is thin, but of course, after the blisters heal the parts of my hands which had them harden, which SHOULD prevent more blisters from coming, but no...the rough skin is broken again at the next concert and the whole cycle restarts.
Well, in that case I wonder if your hands have dry skin, especially were the blisters are/have been?

Either way, you should concider some moistureizing cream (real sissy-stuff, I know, but it helps! :p ) to keep your skin soft and flexible.

and yeah, I think i let the stick too "free" in my hands, which makes it rub against my skin more than it should.
Yeah, this is probably right. When you don't take hold of the drumstick, there will obviously be a lot of tenton when the stick swings freely. At least does this explain the blisterpoint pictured in your first post.

that's my theory anyway, I've zoomed into photos of my hands whilst playing, and sometimes I can tell it's not right...but i've picked up a bad habit, it's going to be hard to get rid of it...
Bad habits are hard to get rid of, but it's not impossible.
Just be aware and concious about it. Concider to contact a drum-teacher also, as he/she will tell you very quick what your bad habits are and how to get rid of them.

Also, and I did not mean it as a joke; Concider leather gloves!
At least the times when you have broken blisters, or feel that you're about to get a new one.

Warrdogg

I have been playing for 25 years and still get blisters. Alot of people will tell you that after a few years you wont get them anymore, not true. I tried gloves and just wore holes in them, and tape doesnt work for me either. I just try to keep my hands dry, it seems I get blisters quicker if my hands are sweaty. It sounds like you use a classical grip (because of the blisters on your thumbs) try to wrap your thumb around the stick more. Other than that blisters are just a fact of life. When you get one dont pop it, take a needle and stick it in the blister to get the liquid out and then let it harden and heal.

Scott_Hurford

make sure to wipe your hands frequently, try to wipe your hands after every song or every other song.
also when your finished drumming for the time, wash your hands, the sweat on your hands will cause blisters easy

WhiteOleander

generally blisters mean you have a bad tecnique of holding the sticks? I used to get them a lot when I just started playing because i played fast with a hard grip.. but as i loosened my grip and got more control of the sticks iv stopped getting them.. ofcourse everyone gets them occasionally, but abnormally large blisters on the same spot probably imply your doing something wrong.. even though you play hard, you should maybe try let the sticks rebounce more and not force them to a violent stop with your fingers.. that way the stick doesnt constantly grind up against your skin =)

that being said, never pop a blister, and when possible dont even pop them with a needle.. by keeping the fluid in there, it heals faster and creates harder and stronger skin

GeorgeDemise

I used to get them pretty badly, but I don't anymore and I don't actually know why! But anyway, try putting talcon powder on your hands and sticks before you play, it should help.

Calbanese

I typically find that when using a ton of rebound I get really sore skin which eventually can develop into blisters. I.E, I've been working on this fascinating, frustrating world of learning the Moeller Technique, which requires tons of rebound, and typically after around 20 minutes of almost constant Moeller practice my skin starts to get sore and red. That is when I stop, for fear of having hands looking like yours, :p

However, on the set, I can easily do 3 hours in rehearsal with pretty much no wear and tear at all. Granted, I'm not playing non stop for all 3 hours, but some of the jams can get into some lengthy times...

But yeah, I would say play the same in concerts as you do in rehearsals.

Good luck !

Trent

from the picture it looks like your curling your thumb under the stick and when you hit the stick probably rubs against that side of your thumb.. i dont know how loose your grip is but if it slides, that part of your thumb doesnt really ever see the world like all your other fingers.. try keeping your thumb pointed along with the stick and always keep it above your stick if that makes sense. your thumb is the only finger on top of the stick.. every body has had this habbit of curling there thumb under the stick kind of like there grasping it.. idk maybe im wrong but watch your hands sometime when your playing..

good luck

trent

The Heel

I dont think gloves would help you. I've seen them destroy other drummers hands. But everybody is different...

Anyway, Its weird you havent developed callouses by this point. I could put cigarretes out on the bottom of my thumb and the outsides of my index fingers. By now you should have developed some.

If you arent playing traditional grip on that hand... then you have a serious grip problem. Fix that... fix most of your problems.

cgaffka

i also agree with most people here.. looks like you hold your sticks a little different then most people. Like someone else said, try wrappin your thumb under the stick get the stick in between you thumb and pointer finger. or find another grip that is comfortable. i used to get blisters very often but after about a year of drumming or so they are all just caluses(spelling) and i dont get blisters anymore. everyones different though, well hope this helps, if not sorry, hope ya find a good solution! :D
rock on!