blast beats?

mapexdrummer

can someone explain blast beats to me? im not really a big fan of that genre but i hear it all over the place...maybe i know wat it is when i hear it but i just dont know the term.....help me out guys!!! :D

stevo

Timekeep69":ekav5pwp said:
16th or 32nd notes played on the hi-hat and the snare drum simultaneously. Typically used in death metal.
yes, also usually used with single or double bass simuntaneaously

Its not most of the time played simultaneously. Its actually alternating singles between the hi-hat/ride and the snare drum. Like single stroke rolls but split between the two parts of the kit.

An example of this beat: Check out the song "Blessing's upon the throne of tyranny" By artist Dimmu Borgir and drummer Nick Barker.
Real cardio workout lol.

ARCHxANGEL

As said above there are two versions of a " blast beat " One is the bass,and hands being played simultaniously ( probably the most co-ordinated drumming line there is,lol ) and they other is playing your feet with your hands going opposite each other.so instead of do do do all at once,you have do da do da do da.I think they have their time and place in heavy music.I personally am not a huge fan and use them very very sparingly with my black metal band.I would prefer not to use them...but sometimes things are written and they have to be used and its always good to have some extra tools in the box.As you never know what life may deal you in the world of music.

PDP9000

here is it in easy trems you play a constent double bass and you play the ride cymbal or hi-hat and you hit the ride and the snare at the smae time

xdoseonex

a blast beat isnt what everyones explaing. your both hands dont hit at the smae time. asnd blast beat is in essence a single stroke roll between your snare and your hi hats or ride or crash or whatever. and your right bass drum hits with your right hand, if your plasying a double bass blast beat they your left foot will also hit with your left hand. big bad drummer boi is correct

Empyrean Drums

Blast Beat is a term usually used to describe a rythym that has a 16th note (or faster) snare beat. There is no definitive rule, and there are a variety of ways they can be played.
Some Examples:

H-H-H-H-H-H-H-H-
-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S
B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-

-H-H-H-H-H-H-H-H
S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-
-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B

H-H-H-H-H-H-H-H-
-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S
R-L-R-L-R-L-R-L-R-

H-H-H-H-H-H-H-H-
S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-
RLRLRLRLRLRLRLR

H-H-H-H-H-H-H-H-
S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-
RLR-R-RLR-R-RLR

H-H-H-H-H-H-H-H-
SSSSSSSSSSSSS
RLRLRLRLRLRLRLR

Conor

i hate blasting,it really ruins the song, it just makes everyting unclear, but ya hitting the bass snare and cymbal all at the same time. you can fool around with it a little bit and skip beats