Blast beats

Robobob

I'm in a metal band that has members that piss me off cause they want to make me a better drummer... bastards. haha. Anyway, something that is most commonly used in metal is a blast beat. I get as relaxxed as I can so that way I don't have to use my arms so much, if at all. There are plenty of different KINDS of blast beats too. (If your interested you can look them up yourself.) But I was wondering if there is a certain technique used for playing them all.
Thanks

drummert2k

my best advice is to write a musical drum part rather than cheesey blast beats. as a drummer take some pride in your instrument and forget the blast beats and play a part that give the song a meaning.

writheindecay

Robobob":1sw8jeqg said:
I'm in a metal band that has members that piss me off cause they want to make me a better drummer... bastards. haha. Anyway, something that is most commonly used in metal is a blast beat. I get as relaxxed as I can so that way I don't have to use my arms so much, if at all. There are plenty of different KINDS of blast beats too. (If your interested you can look them up yourself.) But I was wondering if there is a certain technique used for playing them all.
Thanks
youtube.com

type in blast beat

Vetis

There is going to come a time when most people who play Metal will think " I wonder if a blast would sound good here ". I thought it once, somehow pulled a blast out of my ass, and it's been the last 2 bars of my bands song " End of Days " ever since then.

I have a HORRIBLE technique when it comes to blasting, but I am working on changing that. Do yourself a favor and learn it correctly the right way.

The proper technique for blasting is to use as little arm/wrist motion as possible. Get the initial hit and use the bounce to your advantage. Make sure the stick is loose enough in your hand so it has a wide range of motion. Use your ring and pinky finger to toss the stick back the other way towards the drum head/ride/hi-hat.

DO NOT get discouraged if your hands arent keeping the same tempo. I still struggle with that and I practice for 2 hours every day. It's getting better, but it's something you really have to focus on and work to attain.

And dont let some of these other drummers tell you " dont play blast beats " . I honestly have only heard that from people who cant blast, or are so wrapped around the idea that a 'groove' is more appropriate/ blasting is cheating.

Keep practicing man! That's all we can ever do.

Robobob

Vetis":33luwyje said:
There is going to come a time when most people who play Metal will think " I wonder if a blast would sound good here ". I thought it once, somehow pulled a blast out of my ass, and it's been the last 2 bars of my bands song " End of Days " ever since then.

I have a HORRIBLE technique when it comes to blasting, but I am working on changing that. Do yourself a favor and learn it correctly the right way.

The proper technique for blasting is to use as little arm/wrist motion as possible. Get the initial hit and use the bounce to your advantage. Make sure the stick is loose enough in your hand so it has a wide range of motion. Use your ring and pinky finger to toss the stick back the other way towards the drum head/ride/hi-hat.

DO NOT get discouraged if your hands arent keeping the same tempo. I still struggle with that and I practice for 2 hours every day. It's getting better, but it's something you really have to focus on and work to attain.

And dont let some of these other drummers tell you " dont play blast beats " . I honestly have only heard that from people who cant blast, or are so wrapped around the idea that a 'groove' is more appropriate/ blasting is cheating.

Keep practicing man! That's all we can ever do.
Don't worry, people who tell me blast beats are musical don't understand the "TRUE MEANING" of metal. haha. Nah Nah. My band doesn't use blast beats ever second of every song, but when we DO use them it's the never ending blast from hell. Thanks for the tip. I guess I've been playin them wrong my whole life. (Which isn't all that long. But long enough to get a bad habbit.)

ChevaDrummer

I'm not a huge fan of blast beats, but I don't mind using them more as a quick fill no longer than 2 to 4 seconds. I just cant get into a band that has blasting all the way through it. When you think about it, break a blast beat down & slow it down to a really slow speed & all you have is snare, bass snare, bass snare, bass snare, bass etc... Isn't that a pretty lame boring beat???

Robobob

ChevaDrummer":35vqaa87 said:
I'm not a huge fan of blast beats, but I don't mind using them more as a quick fill no longer than 2 to 4 seconds. I just cant get into a band that has blasting all the way through it. When you think about it, break a blast beat down & slow it down to a really slow speed & all you have is snare, bass snare, bass snare, bass snare, bass etc... Isn't that a pretty lame boring beat???
not all blast beats are bass, snare, bass, snare. There are a few kinds of blasts. I don't remember the names though. But you're right, that is a boring blast beat. And I use them sparingly. I try to stay with the common snare, bass and cymbal blast.