Blast beat

Dailey

Advice on blast beats? Dont play them hahaha. Thats the best advice I can give. There's more to drumming that cheap, thrash metal blast beats. Play with musicality... there are times for loud and fast, and times for delicate and sincere.

writheindecay

your post cracks me up. theres also more to drumming than ghost notes on your snare. what are you trying to say?
blast beats are no more cheap than your standard rock drumlines.
youre obviously not into that style of drumming and have no use posting some asinine crap like "dont play them". there are crap drummers in every genre, just because one plays blast beats or metal doesnt mean they dont play with musicality. case in point : maelstrom mephisto by dimmu borgir. listen to the whole song, youll be suprised about half way through. same goes for unorthodox manifesto. listen to the whole song.

there are all kind of blast beats. i love them, and just about every other technique to playing drums. the more you know, the better you are.

some basic ones would be

R-x---x---x---x---x-
B-x---x---x---x---x--
S---x---x---x---x---x

R-x--------x--------
B-R-L-R-L-R-L-R-L
S-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

I really dig the slow ride patterns over the fast blasting. sometimes ill do a jazz ride pattern over the blasting, sounds awesome.

H-x--x--x--x
B-R--L--R--L
S---x--x--x--x

Flatliner

don't really understand what makes the last one jazzy.

Shouldn't this be under the lessons though?

I don't mind this disscussion at all, I just think it should be moved to the lessons section.

I'd give you some of mine, but I don't ever use them . I agree that there's a time and a place for everything even blast beats.

Alcyon

H- x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-| H- x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-| H- x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-|
S- o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-| S- o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-| S- oooooooooooooooo|
B- o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-| B- oooooooooooooooo| B- o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-|

Hat snare and bass all together, snare and hat over double kick, and then straight snare over paired hats and bass... Then there's the most popular one imo, the one in Slayer's Black Magic:
HH |x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x|
S |--o---o---o---o-|
B |o---o---o---o---|
That's alternating snare and bass over constant high hat hits. Hard to play but sounds good.

writheindecay

Flatliner":38fgkoe6 said:
don't really understand what makes the last one jazzy.

Shouldn't this be under the lessons though?

I don't mind this disscussion at all, I just think it should be moved to the lessons section.

I'd give you some of mine, but I don't ever use them . I agree that there's a time and a place for everything even blast beats.

there was nothing jazzy about the 3rd one i posted. " i like the slow ride patterns... sometimes i do a jazz ride pattern.." giving him some ideas to play with it.

lowdrummer

Im not a metal drummer but I love playing blast beats, they're not to hard, once you get them down, but they're fun.

the guy that called them crap, you need to go ask Thomas Lang if they're crap and see what he has to say. And i dont understand why you totally changed your answer when you said "there are times to play loud and fast", in wich you could use a blast beat. I agree, there is more to drumming than "all that trash, cheap metal crap" as you like to say but it is still part of playing the drums.

Just have fun and play drums, geeeeze!
But ya, go to drummerworld.com and watch thomas langs blast beat vid.

ccrdrums

Dailey":2viw09aj said:
Advice on blast beats? Dont play them hahaha. Thats the best advice I can give. There's more to drumming that cheap, thrash metal blast beats. Play with musicality... there are times for loud and fast, and times for delicate and sincere.

are u kidding me kid Aaron Gillespie has musiciality and is one of the most talented drummer ive ever heard

Rockula!

I understand where people are coming from when they sneer at blast beats
It prety much looks like nothing more than running in place
When I was playing thrash in '88, I used to call it "cheat beat" (with the appropriate sneer)
I was playing twice the notes that these guys were playing and at the same tempo so I saw it as cheating
Nowadays, it is nowhere near as easy to dismiss modern blast as cheat beat because so much is going on
It is no longer just some guy playing half the notes and it is also much more complex
Guys back then wouldn't dream of playing some of the complex time signatures that these new guys are throwing out at lightning speed

What do I think of blast beat music?
Don't care for it
It all sounds the same to me because a vast majority of it is formulaic
I am so disinterested that I couldn't even name the most popular bands that do it (other than Cradle of Filth and Slipknot, both who had phenomenal drummers)
99% of it comes off as a "fastest hands and feet" competition and I got sick of the speed race long ago
But I respect the ones that do it well
And I am not impressed with the ones that don't
Anyone can sit and do the same thing over and over faster and faster
The style is quite restrictive and that is why those who do it well stand out so much

Back to the original intent of the topic
I cannot give you technical advice but I can tell you this
Get in shape
Become as limber as possible
Play as relaxed as possible
Also, I have heard lots of blast drummers tell me that they get more speed out of "heel down" position
Makes sense
My wrists are faster than my arms
Could it be true with feet as well

chachaman02

Dailey":fkwjxpcv said:
Dude, don't hate because you can't keep a good blast beat for more than a second, if that. its reall closed minded as a drummer to say that any kind of drumming is crap. as a musician you should be trying to listen to ALL aspects of music. that is, of course, if you actually are a musician.

As far as blast beats. try playing them really slow and steadily increase speed as you get more comfortable with faster speeds. hope it helps out.